T Nation

Back Spasm

I was recently diagnosed as having a back spasm in my lower back. It’s pretty painful and feels tight and achey, especially after I sit for a while. Feels fine standing and lying down.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, how did you go about treating it to get back to an intense lifting program? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Same here Bro. Every once in a while I’ll hit that one-in-a-million angle and cause a spasm. Quite painful. I treat it with lots of lower back stretches like lying on the floor and pulling your knees to your chest and hold for 5 seconds. I do about ten of those.

Then, I pull one knee to my chest and straighten the other leg out and hold for 5 seconds. Alternate legs. I do about ten of those. I do this in the AM and PM and in a few days it usually works its way out. Ibuprofen if the pain get bad.

Also, since I’ve started deadlifting, they seem not to happen as much. Just an observation.

Hope that helps.

Sounds exactly what I got. Definitely, deadlifts helped me too before I reinjured it a few days ago. I just started off doing real low weighted deads with dumbbells. The way I reinjured it was by doing Russian Twists (ab exercise). Bad idea if you have spasms apparently.

Thanks for the advice though, I’ll try that stretch and see if it helps.

wut exactly is a back spasm? i may have experienced the same thing a few days ago. i sleep on the bottom bunk in my college dorm (in order to get up from bed i have to get up at an angle to avoid hitting my head on the top bunk).

when i got up in the middle of the night a few days ago, i did it very fast and twisted SOMETHING in my back. it was aching for a couple days, i couldn’t even walk with a fully extended left leg. the pain is virtually gone now, but i jus wanted to know if i suffered a back spasm as well.

[quote]sloh wrote:
wut exactly is a back spasm? i may have experienced the same thing a few days ago. i sleep on the bottom bunk in my college dorm (in order to get up from bed i have to get up at an angle to avoid hitting my head on the top bunk).

when i got up in the middle of the night a few days ago, i did it very fast and twisted SOMETHING in my back. it was aching for a couple days, i couldn’t even walk with a fully extended left leg. the pain is virtually gone now, but i jus wanted to know if i suffered a back spasm as well.[/quote]

It’s possible that its a spasm. I don’t know too much about it myself, but I’m trying to read up on it…plus it would be virtually impossible to diagnose over the internet.

The basic symptoms I have include a stiff lower back (the muscle/tendon that connects from the lower back to the hip), trouble bending over without a straight back, and an achey pain in that area after I sit in a chair for over 10 minutes. I have heard other people say they come and go pretty quickly, and that stretching helps obviously.

Also, I’m just assuming this is related, but when I lie on my back, every once in a while I will get a twitch in the area that gives me pain, which cause my leg to move. Almost like an involuntary movement of the leg that is on the side of the spasm.

Be careful, often times these back spasms are early warning signs of a narrowing, or bulging disc.

I remember I use to get sever spasms until I finally got a MRI and I had 1 narrowed disc, and 2 herniated discs.

Needless to day if I knew then what I know now I could have saved myself some pain and down time.

Good luck.

[quote]bonzi50 wrote:
Be careful, often times these back spasms are early warning signs of a narrowing, or bulging disc.

I remember I use to get sever spasms until I finally got a MRI and I had 1 narrowed disc, and 2 herniated discs.

Needless to day if I knew then what I know now I could have saved myself some pain and down time.

Good luck.
[/quote]

I don’t think my situation is a problem with a disc. From what I’ve heard and experienced, bulges or slipped discs don’t go away within a week, and can’t be treated with ibuprofen.
Don’t see how a back spasm in the lumbar muscles can be related to the spinal column. Do you have any info on that?

well it is hard to id where your pain is steaming from but i’m just voicing a word of caution.

Buldging and herniated discs can and are treated with anti inflamitory drugs.

I’m not suggesting that you have one but it may be a early warning. better safe than sorry.

they gave me valium after a while. works wonders :slight_smile:

Overhead squats!

I used to get lower back spasms and also some knee pain, but after doing overhead squats pain no more.

The flexibility and strength this exercise gives is unreal as long as you sit down as far as you can go.

If it is your first time trying please use an empty bar or preferably a stick.

Sometimes a bulging disc can pinch a nerve along the back causing pain in a different area of the back. I have a bulging disc which occasionaly will put pressure on a nerve and cause pain in my left lower back along the pelvis.

It is no laughing matter as I am sure you are aware of…just get proper testing if it is a financially feasible prospect. Self diagnosis of back problems is difficult and can lead to more serious injuries. Good luck !

E

[quote]bige8 wrote:
Sometimes a bulging disc can pinch a nerve along the back causing pain in a different area of the back. I have a bulging disc which occasionaly will put pressure on a nerve and cause pain in my left lower back along the pelvis.

It is no laughing matter as I am sure you are aware of…just get proper testing if it is a financially feasible prospect. Self diagnosis of back problems is difficult and can lead to more serious injuries. Good luck !

E[/quote]

What’s the best test to rule out a disc problem, MRI?

I would get that checked out. The lower back is not something to mess around with if you are having problems.