Back Soreness With Squats

I sometimes experience soreness in my lower back after squatting (for me) heavy. Is this a normal thing? Or is it an indication of poor form?

Could be several things. Poor form- like clam shelling, when you bend too far forward at the bottom, can hurt. Tight quads and weak abs can cause a pelvic tilt that hurts. Not bracing your abdominal region can cause your spine to buckle and that realy hurts.
Is it a general fatigue type of pain or is it a sharp shooting pain?

Same thing happens to me too. In my case, it’s generally a fatigue type of pain that starts about 5 - 10 mins after I finish squatting.

[quote]mabbott29 wrote:
I sometimes experience soreness in my lower back after squatting (for me) heavy. Is this a normal thing? Or is it an indication of poor form?[/quote]

In most cases, it’s the latter.

Same thing happens to me, too. Are you tall? I’ve found that when i really concentrate on tightening up my abs and my back taht i can usually avoid too much pain. Not to mention impeccable form.

Also, when i am not working out, i really try to concentrate on keeping my lower back straight when sitting down for long periods. Doing this has also strengthened that area. Dunno if that’ll help but it has for me.

I’ve experienced the same thing. It was due to a weak lower back. I’ve since focused on strengthening my core, and so far - no more back pain. I basically added some more ab and lower back exercises to my workouts.

I also got really picky about my form when deadlifting and squatting. That probably helped too.

Try bringing your hands in closer to your head. This will help keep your back alignment in check.

Squat to the end of a bench (or better yet build yourself a box). You can get your feet further forward and maintain better posture. It also keeps the knees in check.

some people may think what I am about to say is inapprotpriate so take it with a grain of salt. I too had lower back painafter squatting. In my case it was dull ache that seemed to come on after I squatted. I tried going without a belt and it helped me a lot.

I recently took up powerlifting and was worried I may have to go back to my belt. At this point (still very early in the game) I don’t find that i need the belt.

There has been some newish research out of japan to support this notion. That said, this is not for everyone. If it makes you uncomfortable don’t try it and if you do, take some time to work up to your normal weight over a few sets to make sure it works for you.

Starkmann

Thanks, I’ve since tightened up my form significantly and noticed a difference. Not to mention I’ve gotten a lot stronger in all areas.