Back Routine

Hey guys, I’m still in the process refining my lifting routine. I really like to keep my workout simple, and do mainly compound movements.

I’ve mainly been doing dumbbell rows and pullups, barbell shrugs, and bent over lateral raises twice a week for my back.

I have a few questions:

1. I know my general back and posterior delts are getting a good workout with my routine, but do you guys think I should do any isolation work when I’m done with my pulls?

2. I was thinking of buying a cambered barbell to perform cambered rows on my bench. Does this sound like a good way to hit my back…do you think it will help my bench press?

Alrighty,

I’m assuming that, since you’re posting in the beginners section, you’re a beginner. If this is true, then isolation work and the purchasing of a cambered barbell are not advised. You won’t need them, and you can progress very far continueing with your current program.

That said, what does your entire lifting routine look like? Not just what you do on back days.

Compound movements for your back? Add some deadlifts.

It looks like you covered all the basics any back routine out there. Weighted (or unweighted depending on your xp) pullups first for the first big compound movement, move to some variation of a rowing exercise, shrugs for your traps, and bent over raises. I don’t think you could do anymore isolation exercises other than the bent over raises.

Stick with this program, progress with weight while using good form, keep the intensity up. You could try an exercise like db incline shrugs to isolate the upper-middle back more. Also when you are doing your rowing movements, focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top of each rep.

Hope that gives you an idea…

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, so I do chest, arms, shoulders on mondays and thursdays, and back and legs on tuesdays and fridays.

I’m really just starting to get serious about it, and i do everything out of my basement. I do full style olympic squats (with a board under my feet…I was born with a condition called club foot, and it makes for a very stiff ankle on my left foot), bench press, standing military press, and upright rows.

I’m just finding what works for me. I would add in some lateral raises and more shoulder exercises if they didn’t hurt my shoulders.

What do you guys think about trap bar deadlifts? I’m thinking of ordering a trap bar, because I find it more comfortable for deadlifts than a barbell.

Thanks again

What ever is more comfortable for you, go for it. What works for one person will/might not work for another. Stick with what feels right for you, and evaluate the results in a couple months and see how it has worked.

yeah, its taking my quite a while to get used to full olympic squats, but its well worth it.

I don’t want to get off topic here, but since we are discussing my routine, I might as well ask this question rather than starting a whole new thread–Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat by burning more calories than I take in every day?

In other words, If I need around 4000 calories a day to maintain my current weight, and I only eat 2500 calories a day while lifting weights, is it possible to gain muscle?

I lost around 40 pounds within the last 6 months. I weight 207 right now, and my goal weight is around 180-185. I just starting lifting weights consistanly about 3 weeks ago, but I had an olympic weight set in my basement I’ve used on and off.

So to sum it up…Is it possible for me to get down to my goal weight by eating less, and pack some muscle on in the meantime?

thanks

Generally, no. You usually can’t gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

HOWEVER,

This rule can sometimes be flouted, especially by beginners. If you eat less than you need (and eat healthy), but you lift heavy, you should be able to keep the muscle mass you have, maybe even add some on.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Generally, no. You usually can’t gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

HOWEVER,

This rule can sometimes be flouted, especially by beginners. If you eat less than you need (and eat healthy), but you lift heavy, you should be able to keep the muscle mass you have, maybe even add some on.[/quote]

I think the whole “gain muscle when losing weight” thing is a wierd delema. As someone focused on strength I think it’s very possible to gain some strength while losing weight, if your doing it right, and a begginer/intermediate. But you won’t probably see any significant lbm gains unless your a real beginner.

my 2 cents