Back Rounding on The Deadlift

I have been training the oly lifts for the last 2 months and my coach decided to throw a few deadlifts in. Thought this would be the best place to get some feedback on my form and technique

I round my upper back when lifting. I’m looking to find out what I can do to work on this weak spot.

In general, I feel it’s a rather bad DL. Would greatly appreciate feedback and advice on how to nail this.

Thanks in advance

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
I have been training the oly lifts for the last 2 months and my coach decided to throw a few deadlifts in. Thought this would be the best place to get some feedback on my form and technique

I round my upper back when lifting. I’m looking to find out what I can do to work on this weak spot.

In general, I feel it’s a rather bad DL. Would greatly appreciate feedback and advice on how to nail this.

Thanks in advance

Im not an expert but to be honest I have no idea why that man is telling you to put your shoulders over the bar. I trust anything Dave Tate says and he always says to put your shoulders behind the bar.

Thanks in advance

Glasgow city barbell? Should get wullie to teach you to deadlift, he has a nice dead! But yeah shoulders behind the bar man!

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Im not an expert but to be honest I have no idea why that man is telling you to put your shoulders over the bar. I trust anything Dave Tate says and he always says to put your shoulders behind the bar.[/quote]

Haha I’m surprised you understood his accent

[quote]TamC wrote:
Glasgow city barbell? Should get wullie to teach you to deadlift, he has a nice dead! But yeah shoulders behind the bar man! [/quote]

Alright Tam.

It’s not GBC however the same facility that they use. I know Wullie and the rest of the boys. Great guys and strong to boot!

[quote]TamC wrote:
Glasgow city barbell? Should get wullie to teach you to deadlift, he has a nice dead! But yeah shoulders behind the bar man! [/quote]

Alright Tam.

It’s not GBC however the same facility that they use. I know Wullie and the rest of the boys. Great guys and strong to boot!
[/quote]

Here he goes through perfect technique for sumo and conventional Deadlifts

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Im not an expert but to be honest I have no idea why that man is telling you to put your shoulders over the bar. I trust anything Dave Tate says and he always says to put your shoulders behind the bar.[/quote]

Haha I’m surprised you understood his accent
[/quote]

And yeah I did struggle understanding a little bit haha and by the way, you’re actually supposed to round your upper back during Deadlifts, as long as you keep your lower back flat/arched

Hey man,

Keep the shoulders over the bar, unless you ditch your shoes and go barefoot, you’re doing olympic deadlifts, and they’re an assistance lift to the clean.

What I find your issue is, is that you try to jerk the bar off the ground to start it, and you try to explode into the start.

For a solid deadlift, you need to get very tight, and cast your torso so it doesn’t move, then drive with your legs hard. YOu’re leading with your back. Drive hard with the legs, but the start should be almost slow, you want to break it off the ground in perfect position, then accelerate the bar to lockout.

Pulls to the knee do a good job of teaching this, use about 80% of your best dead for triples.

Good luck with the weightlifting man

Since the question was specifically for deadlift and back position in and of itself, and not for carryover or anything else for OLY, I’d say your shoulders are wayyyyyy too far out in front of the bar. You’d need massively strong hamstrings and erectors to keep your back straight in that position. If you wanna deadlift, then deadlift and do it right. There is no such thing as doing it wrong to supplement OLY lifting.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man,

Keep the shoulders over the bar, unless you ditch your shoes and go barefoot, you’re doing olympic deadlifts, and they’re an assistance lift to the clean.

What I find your issue is, is that you try to jerk the bar off the ground to start it, and you try to explode into the start.

For a solid deadlift, you need to get very tight, and cast your torso so it doesn’t move, then drive with your legs hard. YOu’re leading with your back. Drive hard with the legs, but the start should be almost slow, you want to break it off the ground in perfect position, then accelerate the bar to lockout.

Pulls to the knee do a good job of teaching this, use about 80% of your best dead for triples.

Good luck with the weightlifting man[/quote]

Thanks guys!

Larry, maybe I should have posted this in the Oly lifting forum? Felt the PL crew would offer the best advice regarding the DL

Regardless, great advice from yourself in particular. I took your points on board and applied them to my cleans and definitely feel a difference, especially with the second pull. Great fan of your recent posts in here as well!

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man,

Thanks guys!

Larry, maybe I should have posted this in the Oly lifting forum? Felt the PL crew would offer the best advice regarding the DL

Regardless, great advice from yourself in particular. I took your points on board and applied them to my cleans and definitely feel a difference, especially with the second pull. Great fan of your recent posts in here as well![/quote]

Glad I could help, and really glad to hear about your cleans

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man,

larry is right, you don’t want a powerlifter’s deadlift to get better at olympic lifting.