T Nation

Back Pain

My back is killing me. I don’t think its too serious but it hurts bad enough that I can’t work out. To give you the scenario I deadlifted on Friday (315 for 2X) which is pretty heavy for me. Saturday I was pretty sore but nothing out of the ordinary. I had to move some heavy equipment over the weekend that is akward to move but still no problem. I go to softball practice on Sunday and when I jumped for a ball I came down wrong. I felt a pain in my back but nothing serious (so I thought). So my question is, do I go see a chiropractor, doctor or just wait a week and see how I feel?

Dont waste your time with a doctor…you know the drill…“what caused the pain?” and then you answer and he says “well dont do that again” In all seriousness, a patient with back pain is a doctor’s nightmare. They really dont have much they can do besides presribe you something and say let it heal. Its such passive therapy. Get to a good chiropractor and get realigned. The chiropractor will go after the root of the problem whereas the doctor will attempt to simply treat the symptoms. Thumbs up to chiropractors from me. Additionally if you do have a subluxation, the longer you have it the longer it takes to realign since every time he adjusts you your spine (being used to being out of alighment) will simply pull back out of alignment until. So make an appointment and get it taken care of.

Gotta agree with Thunder on that one. I used to think Chiro’s were quacks, out to make bucks on smoke-and-mirror treatments. My wife had been seeing one for quite a while (before we were together). When I started having some back pains, I figured I’d let him have a go at it. In a couple treatments (re-alignments), I was back in the game. He’s put me back together a few times, including after a wicked rear-ender (traffic accident type, not the other, you sickos). I see him about once a month for maintenance now. Your medical insurance may cover it as well (mine does).

Hey Jeff, I would also agree, unless you are having pain shooting down your leg. If so, you want to make sure you let the chiropractor know. It could be a problem with your disc pressing on a nerve.

You might want to try sleeping with a pillow between your knees, if you sleep on your side. Or under your knees, if you sleep on your back. Try to avoid sleeping on your stomach. I’ve had 2 back surgeries, and that has helped stop some of the pain. Good Luck.

Yea, game on to the chiropractor. I injured my back a while ago (one arm rows + a lifetime of bad posture), went to the doc and he was all “take some advil”…thanks. I’ve had 3 sessions with the chrio and I feel much better. Strongly adivse a consultation and at least 2 sessions.

Some guy fell on me in a mosh pit at the WBCN River Rave in 2000 and my back hurt for three weeks. I worked out very little for two weeks, took some advil, and a month later I was doing squats and back extensions again with the same weight as I’d been using. I’m not putting down chiropractors, but until I have the opportunity to go to one, and (s)he fixes me, I will be a skeptic.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. I will post tomorrow to fill in the details.

I only read the first and last post in this thread, but if you’ve already decided to see a chiropractor, then I STRONGLY suggest you see one who does ART (Activated Release Techniqe). I just got back from my very first session…figured if the t-mag boys recommended it, it’s probably legit. It was so good I’m gonna describe it in a seperate post, but I just wanted to give you that recommendation. Do a search in T-mag back issues or on the web to find someone who knows it near you.