T Nation

Back Pain

I have a low back pain that hurts when I round over. Started after I was squatting and I think it’s because I lost tightness in the bottom of the squat. Pain goes away when I fill my stomach with air and flex my abs. Pain is right above my ass and radiates down into my hamstrings when I round over or try to use my low back. Been a week, still hurts. Icing it helps and it’s been getting less painful over time.

Any idea what it could be and how long it will take to heal?

[quote]louiek wrote:
I have a low back pain that hurts when I round over. Started after I was squatting and I think it’s because I lost tightness in the bottom of the squat. Pain goes away when I fill my stomach with air and flex my abs. Pain is right above my ass and radiates down into my hamstrings when I round over or try to use my low back. Been a week, still hurts. Icing it helps and it’s been getting less painful over time.

Any idea what it could be and how long it will take to heal?[/quote]

When you fill your belly with air you activate the diaphragm. When you “flex” the “abs,” you then activate the internal/external obliques, rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis. Essentially, you have created an internal lifting belt of sorts. This is why you don’t experience lower back pain when you do this. And this is the proper way to brace the core.

You said it yourself: you most likely did lose form in the hole. This tail tuck rounds the lumbar spine. Now do this repeatedly with a heavy load on your back. It’s not a matter of ‘if’ for most people, it’s a matter of when you cause trauma at the discs.

So it’s no surprise the pain radiates down the back of your legs. The muscles of the hamstring complex are innervated by the L5, S1, S2.

The first thing you need to do is have that area looked at by a skilled professional. If there are no bulging or other disc issues, then you can have other areas looked at.

Ignore the gurus who say tail tuck is not that bad. And I realize some top lifters DL with a rounded spine but that doesn’t mean everyone can or should. It’s foolish to think what works for a gifted minority will also work for the average punter.