T Nation

Back Pain After SLDL's?

I have been experimenting with stiff legged deadlifts because I think my hamstrings are underdeveloped. Anyway, my back was really sore from them, more than usual, and I still feel it even a week later. It feels more like “back soreness” than muscle soreness. I’m just doing normal deadlifts this week, and will go maybe a little lighter than usual.

Is this normal? I do think I might hold the barbell a bit farther from myself than normal, but I don’t want to hit my knees or foot as I’m lifting. Is there any way to get good hamstring work without this exercise anyway?

I believe CT had an article about developing the hamstrings, try looking that up. He outlines a lot of good exercises with the videos in case you’re unsure of what they are.

About the back: Are you making sure your back is not rounded? Do you have bad flexibility in the hamstrings? Those are usually two of the main problems. An undeveloped lower back is a possibility, but it’s been a week or so later and as you said, not muscular soreness.

Some people that I start incorporating romanian deads have bad flexibility in the hamstrings and this is something that needs worked on.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I have been experimenting with stiff legged deadlifts because I think my hamstrings are underdeveloped. Anyway, my back was really sore from them, more than usual, and I still feel it even a week later. It feels more like “back soreness” than muscle soreness. I’m just doing normal deadlifts this week, and will go maybe a little lighter than usual.

Is this normal? I do think I might hold the barbell a bit farther from myself than normal, but I don’t want to hit my knees or foot as I’m lifting. Is there any way to get good hamstring work without this exercise anyway?[/quote]

Get yourself assessed and have someone check your form.

Maybe you have muscle imbalances. My glutes can get tight and cause all sorts of low back pain, but I know what to do as far as stretching and rolling, so all good.

i get some upper back and abs/obliques soreness after SLDL’s. I try to stick my hip out (hamstrings at a slightly acute angle to the ground) to improve hamstring involvement. Also try pointing your legs outwards and look up while doing the lift. I think you should eliminate lower back rounding this way.

also regarding flexibility, I think poor flexibity will mean that you can keep the bar higher (and use more weight) and still recruit your hams more easily.