Back or Front Squat. Best?

[/quote]
think about this for a quick second…plenty of powerlifters who squat 900 can front 4-500 easily but very few olympic lifters who can front 4-5 can squat 900…
[/quote]

I wouldn’t ever completely remove back squats from a lifting program either.
Some Olers that can front squat into the 500s aren’t going to be back squatting 900, but then again they are about 180lbs. :slight_smile:

[quote]E-man wrote:
I personally alternate front/back squat every week or sometimes even go 1-2 in the same workout. I find back squat builds overall leg mass and development including glutes and hams while front squats while goin very deep concentrates on mainly the quad and particularly the Vastus Medialis (teardrop) muscle. Depends on how you position your feet. Also if someone has a problem with balance or form the smith-machine is excellent and so are dumbell squats which someone really can go ass-to-floor with. But to answer the question should one be used over another I’ll have to give a movie quote.

“Shall we have the lobster or the cracked crab.”
“Can’t we have both”
“Dmitery, lobster and cracked crab for everyone.”

Name the movie and yes, incorporate them both.[/quote]

“Looking good Lewis !”

" FEELING good Billy Ray !!"

[quote]swivel wrote:
E-man wrote:
I personally alternate front/back squat every week or sometimes even go 1-2 in the same workout. I find back squat builds overall leg mass and development including glutes and hams while front squats while goin very deep concentrates on mainly the quad and particularly the Vastus Medialis (teardrop) muscle. Depends on how you position your feet. Also if someone has a problem with balance or form the smith-machine is excellent and so are dumbell squats which someone really can go ass-to-floor with. But to answer the question should one be used over another I’ll have to give a movie quote.

“Shall we have the lobster or the cracked crab.”
“Can’t we have both”
“Dmitery, lobster and cracked crab for everyone.”

Name the movie and yes, incorporate them both.

“Looking good Lewis !”

" FEELING good Billy Ray !!"[/quote]

Very good, a true American classic.

I’ma stickin’ to front squats!!!

Unless you have a strong personal preference or have some other reason (such as preparing for a sport or working around an injury) to prefer one type of squat over another, you can simply alternate one week with Front Squat and another with Back Squat.
Personally, I like a Front Squat/Goodmorning combo every other week.
I like to do Back Squats maybe once a month (I typically Squat once a week). I don’t do Goodmornings with the Back Squats as the BS already stimulates my lower back thoroughly and I tend to lose form with GMs after BS. It may work differently for you. For instance,

Week 1: FS/GM
Week 2: Deadlift
Week 3: FS/GM
Week 4: BS