Back Off Weeks

My normal routine is based on a 6 x 6 set up for sets/reps in a push/pull fashion. When I’m having a back off week, I’ll change this to 6 x 2 but not increase the weight. I’ll also forget about cardio or GPP and just go for a walk outside in the sunshine for an hour or so. I feel a lot better for it, and it has been getting results in the gym the next week.

I think it’s a pretty fair statement; just because you “haven’t had any problems” doesn’t mean you couldn’t be doing better by taking planned time off. If you read the Russian literature you’ll see that all these coaches agree on the NEED for down time in their training.

You could have the most super-human freak that can recover unlike any other, but he can still overtrain. Planned periods of recovery not only allow a physical and mental break, but also allow true fitness levels to be demonstrated.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I don’t think you can make a blanket statement like that. I don’t do that. I haven’t had any problems. I have gained more than average and have been lifting consistently for years now. There is a genetic component to recovery that needs to simply be accepted. If you don’t recover well, whether that be due to diet, your training or other factors, don’t assume that everyone falls into the same category.

How your entire routine is set up may very well be the problem. I usually only train one body part a day aside from training triceps with chest. I go hard and heavy and only back off if I’m not feeling well. I am also in and out of the gym in about 35min most days unless cardio is included. I see guys who spend up to two hours in the gym 5 days a week and they aren’t making gains that justify it. Those people definitely need to back off on their entire approach.[/quote]

[quote]
Mike Robertson wrote:
achieve optimal gains.[/quote]

I have gained more than average[/quote]

“More than average” and “optimal” are two VERY different things.

With all due respect, your post illustrates exactly why there are very few bodybuilders capable of writing programs geared toward performance enhancement; they just don’t understand supercompensation.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Deano -

If you were half as massive as I am, you would want to take a back off week. Nay - you would need a back off week just to give the weights a chance to cool off.

God I love being huge.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wish I had your proportions. But I’m not a cartoon character. (And I’m not on the roids, either)

Well, I forced myself to take an easy week. Back into it now. Yesterday I was the strongest I have ever been! This is despite being on a diet for summer. The back-off week bore fruit.

EXACTLY my point; fatigue masks fitness.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

Well, I forced myself to take an easy week. Back into it now. Yesterday I was the strongest I have ever been! This is despite being on a diet for summer. The back-off week bore fruit.

[/quote]

To add to this, I’m currently in the first week of a new four-week training phase. My last phase had a week 3 that was very high volume, so I accumalated a ton of fatigue. I went out and did some near-maximal lifts during week 4, and since a 550 deadlift wasn’t as fast as I thought it should have been, I knew that I still had some fatigue masking my fitness gains. As such, I continued with my backoff week (week 4) as planned.

Today - six days later - I went in and hit a 14-pound PR on the bench. Considering that my previous PR had been in competition, and this one was in training (may be up to a 10% difference), this is very significant. Supercompensation, baby.

I once did a 4-week intense hypertrophy program before I went on vacation. I had gained quite a few pounds of muscle on my return. If you go intense, I think it would be wise to take a week off once in a while.

a few things…

speed work is good in the taper as heavy weights of the peaking cycle depress speed strength. WSB ramps down band tension and volume, bar weight is about the same as notmal speed work. i use chains for BP in taper, and switch to a green band in the squat.

if you are on the juice, you still need backoffs, you can just do more volume within your concentrated loading cycle.

You can go longer than 3 weeks between backoffs, maybe out to 5- 7 weeks depending on numerous variables. For most, and according to my extensive workout logs, it is 3 weeks for me. The more you distribute the load, the less often you need backoffs. BUT, most people over do it, and there is not an eays way to tell you are pushing your ecovery until it is too late.

MM takes whole weeks off, but 50% intensity and about two thirds of your normal volume work well. These weeks need to be fun and easy, you are recharging your mind along with your body. Rekindling that desire to train insanely is a good thing.

Taking the week off is hard, but do you want to be in the gym or do you want to improve?

Congrats to all on the PRs.

jmo
jack

EC and I have discussed this before, but I guess part of it depends on if you’re training more for strength or size. AAS can do a lot to change the hormonal environment of the body, but doesn’t seem to have as much of an effect on the nervous system.

How does this relate? A BB’er could probably increase either their weekly training volume OR could train more consecutive weeks on their current plan. Not sure if they could get by with both, because at some point the fatigue will accumulate and gains will slow.

For a PL’er, the AAS would be more beneficial if trying to gain functional body mass, lose body fat, or just get pissed off. I don’t think they’d be able to significantly increase the # of maximal lifts in a certain time frame because they are still so draining on the nervous system. However, I’m no AAS expert, so if someone has more “practical” experience here I’d be interested to hear their thoughts.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Rainjack wrote:

I was just being an ass, deano. I thought you could use some red-assin.

Seriously - I think you did the smart thing. Planned rest is the best.

But your comment raises a question. If someone is on an AAS cycle, does that significantly change when to schedule an off week? Since the conventional wisdom is that AAS helps you recover faster, does that reduce the need for a back-off week every month or so?

[/quote]

I was just being an ass, deano. I thought you could use some red-assin.

Seriously - I think you did the smart thing. Planned rest is the best.

But your comment raises a question. If someone is on an AAS cycle, does that significantly change when to schedule an off week? Since the conventional wisdom is that AAS helps you recover faster, does that reduce the need for a back-off week every month or so?

One of the best implements I’ve put to use in my training. Between the rare/judicious use of training to concentric failure and the back off week every 4-6 weeks have acclerated my gains, improved my mental outlook, and created a marked improvement in my immune situation. Hardly ever sick now.

Best,
DH

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
“More than average” and “optimal” are two VERY different things.

With all due respect, your post illustrates exactly why there are very few bodybuilders capable of writing programs geared toward performance enhancement; they just don’t understand supercompensation.[/quote]

Yes, that must be it. I don’t understand supercompensation. If someone needs time off, they should take it. However, to make a statement that everyone needs to back off after 4-6 weeks is a false statement. While we are all human beings, we don’t all have the same genetics.

The amount of stress placed on your body has much to do with how your training is planned out. Like I said, I only do one body part a day. You skipped that to reprimand me about how I simply couldn’t possibly understand supercompensation. Had it ever occured to you that I am training optimally for my body? Is this not a possibility because of the conviction of Russian trainers?

Perhaps you can list out for me where my IQ is faltering in relation to yours.

I’ve actually have just finished a back-off week. I’m eating everything in site and seem to be maintaining. I don’t feel any fatigue and my energy levels are the same.

OD

While we are all human beings, we don’t all have the same genetics. [/quote]

Maybe that explains why some of us haven’t achieved the results you think we should have achieved by now…

:wink:

Yes, that must be it. I don’t understand supercompensation. If someone needs time off, they should take it. However, to make a statement that everyone needs to back off after 4-6 weeks is a false statement. While we are all human beings, we don’t all have the same genetics.

The amount of stress placed on your body has much to do with how your training is planned out. Like I said, I only do one body part a day. You skipped that to reprimand me about how I simply couldn’t possibly understand supercompensation. Had it ever occured to you that I am training optimally for my body? Is this not a possibility because of the conviction of Russian trainers?

Perhaps you can list out for me where my IQ is faltering in relation to yours.[/quote]

I think you missed Cressey’s point. It isn’t about “needing” to take time off as it is just simply doing it. I usually train for three weeks then take one back/off. And I most certainly don’t feel week or tired usually on my third week, and I always push the most weight that week. What I have found though, is that if I try to squeak more gains out of the fourth week, I become rundown. (And I too, only train every body part once a week.)

You may still be stronger and making more gains than most, but if you started taking back-off weeks, maybe you could turn into a Super Professor X; one who benchpresses nations and hoardes their women.

Perhaps you can list out for me where my IQ is faltering in relation to yours.[/quote]

“And besides, I’m a doctor, dammit. What do you guys know about the body that I don’t?”

Golly gee…

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Prof,

Take a fuckin’ Midol once in awhile. Your red tide jes flat out comes in too frequently. [/quote]

Midol sucks, that’s why I use Pamprin. Look, regardless of the way it comes across, the simple point is that your workload and available rest for recovery should determine how you “back off” or not from training. It is presented as if all people need to take breaks after 4-6 weeks. Apparently the goal on this forum is to not challenge any ideas but to simply follow the herd?