T Nation

Back-Off Week for Cardio?

I think it must be some sort of record - despite being really good about my diet, exercising diligently and progressively (both strength and cardio) and taking HRX at the maximum dose pretty much since it’s been available, I have managed to lose . . . nothing.

It’s getting a little discouraging. Naturally, my first thought was that I need to eat less and exercise more and I’m not ruling that out as something I may simply have to do.

But, when I was on the treadmill doing HIIT thinking about it (I only think during the rest cycles) I thought that if there’s an advantage in dieting in doing a periodic refeed, maybe there’s an advantage in doing a periodic cardio back-off as well.

So, I was thinking of taking the rest of the week off (except for my regularly scheduled strength training) and just doing a lot of recreational walking and swimming if the weather warms up enough to get in the pool.

Does this potentially have value in jumpstarting my fat-burning or am I just trying to find justifications for the fact that I’m really burntout on cardio?

Also, should I cut my calories to reflect the lower output or keep them at normal levels to trick my body into thinking the famine’s over?

Id take w eek off the cardio, off the HRX, Off the diet (keep it clean but dont be so anal) and lower the resistance training as well. Just be active for a week relax recover and have some fun.

During this time look at your diet, is it that good fitting your goals, look at training weights and cardio, is it that good, look at rest, play etc are you getting enough.

Then come back after the week refreshed with a solid plan and go get those damn goals,

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Id take w eek off the cardio, off the HRX, Off the diet (keep it clean but dont be so anal) and lower the resistance training as well. Just be active for a week relax recover and have some fun.

During this time look at your diet, is it that good fitting your goals, look at training weights and cardio, is it that good, look at rest, play etc are you getting enough.

Then come back after the week refreshed with a solid plan and go get those damn goals,

Phill[/quote]

I agree. Sometimes not doing much exercise wise for a week will let you absolutely annihilate whatever you do for the next month, feels great mentally, and gives you time to do stuff besides train.

Hey, thanks to you both. I didn’t think I’d be able to keep myself out of the gym the whole time (except for one scheduled workout w/ a trainer - I whined the entire time), but giving up the HRX meant that I did a whole lot of sleeping (I skipped my other caffeine sources, so my body would reset) and now I’m definitely motivated to go back to work.

Why not just take a week or so off from weights, cardio, and relax. Let your body heal and catch up with itself. East wise and enjoy the week. Think about how you will come back with an increase in veggies, and an even better diet and cardio plan.

The week off really helps from time to time.

Even changing your work out plans can be a good idea.

Good luck to you.