Back Off Set and Strength Training

Hi CT. I am really confused about one thing. Some experts says that you should’nt vary your intensity by more than 10% in a workout or els the body won’t know what to adapt to. But there are others who says that including back off sets (wich exceed a lot the 10% spread) is really good to hyperthrophy more the muscles. Can you help me to understand it more clearly? Thanks!

[quote]ludotibo wrote:
Hi CT. I am really confused about one thing. Some experts says that you should’nt vary your intensity by more than 10% in a workout or els the body won’t know what to adapt to. But there are others who says that including back off sets (wich exceed a lot the 10% spread) is really good to hyperthrophy more the muscles. Can you help me to understand it more clearly? Thanks![/quote]

The 10% rule doesn’t make any sense. Olympic lifters use all types of loading in one single session for example. Also, one of the most effective athletic training approach is complexing heavy lifting and explosive work.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]ludotibo wrote:
Hi CT. I am really confused about one thing. Some experts says that you should’nt vary your intensity by more than 10% in a workout or els the body won’t know what to adapt to. But there are others who says that including back off sets (wich exceed a lot the 10% spread) is really good to hyperthrophy more the muscles. Can you help me to understand it more clearly? Thanks![/quote]

The 10% rule doesn’t make any sense. Olympic lifters use all types of loading in one single session for example. Also, one of the most effective athletic training approach is complexing heavy lifting and explosive work. [/quote]
Yes you must be right but I used to follow a lot a very well known coach that I won’t name and in one of his books he talks about that 10% rule. I have also seen him talking about back off sets, so that’s why I was confused since the same person was saying two different things. Thanks for the answer!

I had the mentality of never chasing two rabbits at once. Like if your goal is to build strenght and gain mass(pretty much the goal of everybody who train), it was better to focus on one aspect at once, but with the back off (feeding) set, it seems that it even helps your strenght while making you experiencing more hyperthrophy! It looks like that there is a lot of contradictions out there but I think I’m gonna give it a try!

[quote]ludotibo wrote:
I had the mentality of never chasing two rabbits at once. Like if your goal is to build strenght and gain mass(pretty much the goal of everybody who train), it was better to focus on one aspect at once, but with the back off (feeding) set, it seems that it even helps your strenght while making you experiencing more hyperthrophy! It looks like that there is a lot of contradictions out there but I think I’m gonna give it a try![/quote]

Back off/pump sets allows you to drive more nutrients into the muscles. Which can help enhance the growth from the mechanical stimulation provided by the heavier work.

[quote]ludotibo wrote:
I had the mentality of never chasing two rabbits at once. Like if your goal is to build strenght and gain mass(pretty much the goal of everybody who train), it was better to focus on one aspect at once, but with the back off (feeding) set, it seems that it even helps your strenght while making you experiencing more hyperthrophy! It looks like that there is a lot of contradictions out there but I think I’m gonna give it a try![/quote]

Back off/pump sets allows you to drive more nutrients into the muscles. Which can help enhance the growth from the mechanical stimulation provided by the heavier work.[/quote]
Alright so would it be something you would use all the time after doing low reps sets, or it is best to not abuse it?

[quote]ludotibo wrote:

[quote]ludotibo wrote:

Back off/pump sets allows you to drive more nutrients into the muscles. Which can help enhance the growth from the mechanical stimulation provided by the heavier work.[/quote]
Alright so would it be something you would use all the time after doing low reps sets, or it is best to not abuse it?[/quote]

One “pump set” after strength work will not hurt you, you can use it quite often.

[quote]ludotibo wrote:

[quote]ludotibo wrote:

Alright so would it be something you would use all the time after doing low reps sets, or it is best to not abuse it?[/quote]

One “pump set” after strength work will not hurt you, you can use it quite often.[/quote]

CT, so do you only recommend one higher rep back off after a heavy set of 1-5 reps or can we do more? What do you recommend?