Back Into Training Program

Just getting back into training and have been racking my brain reading over endless programs but wanted to get some advice before i picked one. Marriage children and tons of overtime kind of put training on the back burner

Eventually got back into it with Kbs and body weight but then had a set back due to work related injuries (herniated discs and shoulder surgery almost 1 year ago) did my rehab and am ready to start lifting again. Built up a decent home gym, my goals are size and strength but porbably leaning towards size right now.

I have been doing my boring 1 body part a week routine on the light volume/intensity side but feel like I am ready to dive into a program below are the ones I have been reading up on any ideas or opinions would be a big help. I kind of like something I can do 2days on 1 day off.

5/3/1
Gvt
Ovt
push/pull splits
heavy/light splits
some sort of 5x5

How old are you? How tall and heavy are you? How much weight can you lift now? Are you fat, skinny, in the middle?

[quote]Silyak wrote:
How old are you? How tall and heavy are you? How much weight can you lift now? Are you fat, skinny, in the middle? [/quote]

33 decent shape when you consider all the injuries I have from my job. Before last years injury was really doing kb’s and body wieght so any numbers i give you wont be accurate. My current numbers are bullshit haven’t tested 1rm yet basically light weights benching/squating/deadlifting real light all am basically in the middle not fat but not skinny am 5-9
benching around 150
squating even lighter
deads around 180-200
rowing around 150
all for reps again am going real slow and concervative but feel my strength coming back and injuries not causing any issues

I say jump on the 531 bandwagon -very flexible and if life gets hectic you can just do the prescribed reps or drop down to the 2 day a week template. OVT is also another very good option but you’ll need to be on top og nutrition and recovery

I’m sure you will get lots of good advice in here as far as programs. I just wanted to say that I noticed you have had issue with herniated discs. If your squats are back squats, I’d be very careful if I were you. The same applies to any exercise that loads your spine.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I’m sure you will get lots of good advice in here as far as programs. I just wanted to say that I noticed you have had issue with herniated discs. If your squats are back squats, I’d be very careful if I were you. The same applies to any exercise that loads your spine. [/quote]

I try not to go heavy on squats and do more single leg dumbbell squats kind of Sucks but is what it is

Any one have an opinion on gvt and some ideas on how to hit my quads hard without doing heavy squats

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
I say jump on the 531 bandwagon -very flexible and if life gets hectic you can just do the prescribed reps or drop down to the 2 day a week template. OVT is also another very good option but you’ll need to be on top og nutrition and recovery[/quote]

Yup was thinking 5/3/1 or gvt. Is 5/3/1 good for gaining size though?

[quote]docholliday7777 wrote:

I say jump on the 531 bandwagon -very flexible and if life gets hectic you can just do the prescribed reps or drop down to the 2 day a week template. OVT is also another very good option but you’ll need to be on top og nutrition and recovery[/quote]

Yup was thinking 5/3/1 or gvt. Is 5/3/1 good for gaining size though? [/quote]

It’s all about how you set it up. If you are wanting more hypertrophy, then give your assistance work more volume.

5/3/1 would be good for you, since you are coming off of injuries/beat up. It will allow you to progress slowly enough to keep from hurting yourself.

Wendler usually advocates for older lifters to do your 5/3/1 sets for the required reps or a few over (meaning don’t kill yourself), and then do higher volume assistance. That would be a good plan for you.

Sounds like a plan guess I’ll order the book I may keep doing what I am doing now for a few more weeks just to get my body used to lifting again. In 5/3/1 does it matter if I substitute one of the 5/3/1 lifts for something different meaning instead of back squats do SL squats or front squats?

Yes, here is the bodybuilding template half way down in the article, which will pump you up nicely.
Just getting the minimum reps for the main lifts is a good idea with your discs history. It’s fine to sub those squat variations, in your case I would even consider the leg press.

Sounds like a plan guess I’ll order the book I may keep doing what I am doing now for a few more weeks just to get my body used to lifting again. In 5/3/1 does it matter if I substitute one of the 5/3/1 lifts for something different meaning instead of back squats do SL squats or front squats?

[/quote]

You can sub in front squats with 5/3/1. I have before.

I basically have a home setup and was looking for something I could use as a dumbbell holder/spotter when doing sets to failure I really cant throw the weights (scares the shit out of the kids) something like and adjustable rack or something? Power hooks wont work Cu’s I don’t have a rack only use the barbell for deads

Yes, here is the bodybuilding template half way down in the article, which will pump you up nicely.
Just getting the minimum reps for the main lifts is a good idea with your discs history. It’s fine to sub those squat variations, in your case I would even consider the leg press.

ramp u da man thanks
another question was looking for ways to do squats without putting stress on the back i know this is a dumb question but whatever can u use a trap bar for squats ? If yes are they effective ?

are trap bar deads as effective as barbell deads ?

wanted some opinions before I spend the money on it