T Nation

Back Injury Question

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/3/2/32f87-male_muscle_back[1].jpg

I was doing my squat workout and after a few lighter warm up sets, I added weight, got under the bar, and stepped out of the rack position to suddenly experience a small lightning storm of pain in my middle back. I was almost immobilized for an hour or so, hard to breathe, couldn’t move much, etc., then it seemed to get a bit better. Other than being a dull ache and catching during breathing and some movements. This morning, it was about the same level of pain as it was after it first happened. I’ve attached an image to describe the area. Feels like it kind of runs along my ribs and its especially strong nearer to my spine.

Does anyone have any idea about what I might’ve done and how long I should lay off lifting? Thanks!

[quote]Plisskin wrote:
I was doing my squat workout and after a few lighter warm up sets, I added weight, got under the bar, and stepped out of the rack position to suddenly experience a small lightning storm of pain in my middle back. I was almost immobilized for an hour or so, hard to breathe, couldn’t move much, etc., then it seemed to get a bit better. Other than being a dull ache and catching during breathing and some movements. This morning, it was about the same level of pain as it was after it first happened. I’ve attached an image to describe the area. Feels like it kind of runs along my ribs and its especially strong nearer to my spine.

Does anyone have any idea about what I might’ve done and how long I should lay off lifting? Thanks![/quote]

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and don’t generally know what I’m talking about.

I had a similar incident last Friday with pain in the same area. I was couch bound on Saturday during the day. I used heat and in the evening I had my wife rub my back. She found a huge knot. She beat the hell out of it but the pain was still there.

Same thing on Sunday.

On Monday I worked out even though I still had a little discomfort. I did squats and arms that day. When I was done working out I felt loose and pretty good. After working out Tuesday I didn’t have any problems at all.

Is it a constant pain, or does the pain mostly come when you exhale?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Is it a constant pain, or does the pain mostly come when you exhale?[/quote]

I’d say it was more of a constant dull ache over the last couple days. And it flares up when I twist my torso or lean in any direction. But, I’d say it feels muscular, even though its of sharper right around the spine.

I’ve thought about trying to use my foam roller to see if it’d help, but I didnt want to inflame the problem.

Go to a doctor, get it looked at. Possible herniated disc, you don;t wanna be messing around. Make sure it’s ok before you try going and doing any more lifts.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
Go to a doctor, get it looked at. Possible herniated disc, you don;t wanna be messing around. Make sure it’s ok before you try going and doing any more lifts.[/quote]

It seems to be better by the day, but it is still there…if this continues, I’ll go get it checked before returning to lifting.