Back Injuries

Looking for suggestions to train around bad back. I have searched the site and can’t find anything directly related to my situation. I have gone through 6 weeks of PT to rehab herniated disc or Radiculopathy. Mostly stregnthening the low back abs and glutes. No gym since November '04…
Questions…
Are there specific exercises that will allow me to work around a fragile low back while strengthening legs?
I realize there are no “alternatives” to squats and deads but therapist suggest I avoid all together.
Has anyone had success building lower body without squatting?
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
I am beyound frustration.

a couple of thoughts.

Find a GOOD Chiropractor in your area-preferably one with a sports background who can relate to your training goals. If you want to PM me, I can give you some more specifics on what to look for in selecting a DC with regards to their technique package, etc.

There are many good movements that can help injuries such as these-I dont know the extent of your injuries, so I wont attemtp to pinpoint or advise on specific movmements, but reverse hyperextensions have always been effective.

Don’t give up-its going to take time

Keith

I empathize with you as I have dealt with a host of back injuries personally as well. However I would ask you to PLEASE confer any exercise suggestion with your PT as they know your condition better than anyone.

There are options to Squatting (such as the Hi-Box Step Up) but given that you have been out of the gym for sometime one of the first steps in your road back is incorporating some very basic core strengthening exercises and developing your static and dynamic range of motion. It may not sound exciting to you but building a strong foundation will help you live a pain free life.

To start I would make use of what are four really great exercises - the plank, side planks, horse pose and superman along with the range of motion work I mentioned. If you can’t find pics of those exercise let me know and I will try to figure out how to post pics here or just email them to you.

Best of luck -

In faith,

Coach Davies

Thanks much for the support. Realizing I need to develop some basic strength and flexibility is very humbling!
The only one I can’t seem to find is the horse pose and the high-box step up. If you have any pics that would be great.

Apprciate it!

Just work on your balance and the rest will follow.

[quote]Coach Davies wrote:
I empathize with you as I have dealt with a host of back injuries personally as well. However I would ask you to PLEASE confer any exercise suggestion with your PT as they know your condition better than anyone.

There are options to Squatting (such as the Hi-Box Step Up) but given that you have been out of the gym for sometime one of the first steps in your road back is incorporating some very basic core strengthening exercises and developing your static and dynamic range of motion. It may not sound exciting to you but building a strong foundation will help you live a pain free life.

To start I would make use of what are four really great exercises - the plank, side planks, horse pose and superman along with the range of motion work I mentioned. If you can’t find pics of those exercise let me know and I will try to figure out how to post pics here or just email them to you.

Best of luck -

In faith,

Coach Davies

[/quote]

Would you have any specific range of motion program or examples to follow and progress with. I am stuggling to determine a good starting point in developing a program… Thanks for your help.
I have done some of the movements suggested in “Get your butt in Gear” and looking forward to the rest of Ian’s article The sacked back.

Thanks again for your insight!

[quote]eaglesone wrote:
Looking for suggestions to train around bad back. I have searched the site and can’t find anything directly related to my situation. I have gone through 6 weeks of PT to rehab herniated disc or Radiculopathy. Mostly stregnthening the low back abs and glutes. No gym since November '04…
Questions…
Are there specific exercises that will allow me to work around a fragile low back while strengthening legs?
I realize there are no “alternatives” to squats and deads but therapist suggest I avoid all together. [/quote]

Wow, I know what you are going through. I am almost 17 and currently have 2 slipped discs and one torn disc (injured sqautting?). Anyway, I too am curious on what I can do for working out.