Back in the Saddle

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Sounds like the kids are learning and having a great time and you are being rewarded as well.[/quote]

We are focusing on good better best form. If anything maybe it will help for the long haul.
Thanks GV

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Thank you for your words. To be clear on the template because I fear I worded it kinda jumbled:

Monday Heavy squat, medium bench and light deadlift

Wednesday: Light squat, heavy bench, medium deadlift

Friday: Medium squat, light bench and heavy deadlift.

[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying and supporting me.
Boys were sore today but overslept and motivated. Too sore to crawl out of bed.

My personal lifting schedule is upside down. Hoping to find my rhythm soon.

AM
Foam Roll

Deads:

Bar x some
135 x 12
185 x 10
225 x 5
255 x 5
285 x 3
315 x 3
345 x 3
375 x 3
315 x 6
Ripped callous - will use as a topic tonight.

Pull downs
Pull ups 7, 6,6

PM
Bent Rows 135 x 12 x 3
Krocs 75 x 10 x 3

Still coaching form, spotting, and basic gym safety. Boys are on the program and progressing great.

[quote]Oldman Powers wrote:

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Congrats on the volunteer work, very admirable OP. [/quote]

Well I’m still not sure what I’ve gotten myself into this time. One of my goals this year was to “give” to people in need . I did some work with the homeless in the worst parts of San Francisco, but was always put on security detail and ended up with all day special projects. Folks that were way beyond help and very disruptive. Was hoping I could work with kids since most adults are beyond help.
This deal happened through a friend of a friend. I put it out there, but now thinking be careful what you ask for.[/quote]

My guess is if you can make a difference in one kid’s life it will be time well spent and you will probably make a difference in many of their lives. Congrats on making the commitment to helping those in need.

Basic program for the kids.
Interested to hear if I should tweak it, or if I’ve over tweaked it.
Was referencing Ricks suggestions and Prilipins table.

Looks like a great template. A bunch of fundamental strength and power to be developed with that program.

PM
Bench:
Warmups -
Rotated cuff , push ups, dips, bar x some
135 x 12
185 x 8
225 x 5
245 x 3
275 x 1
225 x 3 x 4
225 x 9

Dips:
BW x 15 x 3

I would not pair medium squat with heavy deads; plus back will be tired after heavy deads so light OH preferred there as well imho.

Leave out the 90%+ part of Prilepin’s chart. Those are more for the Olympic lifts where there is no eccentric. Even when used for lifting for powerlifting peaking I think the suggestion is maybe 1-3 reps? (not sure)

My .02.

Good points PG. Much appreciated.

Deads

Bar x 15
135 x 10
185 x 8
225,x 5
255 x 5
295 x 3
315x3
345 x3
385 x 3 (belt)
405 x 1,1
315 x 5 x 2

Haven’t been keeping up on my log lately. Still trying to get my head around coaching kids and organizing my personal workout schedule. I’ve managed to get the basics in each week, but no time for accessory work.
Had a minor lower back issue last week finishing off a deadlift workout with lighter reps and felt a disk move. Called it a day and headed straight for the clinic for anti-inflammatories, and pain meds. They did an Xray while I was there. Haven’t heard the results but not too worried. Feeling fine this week. Lots o good sleep with the vicodine.

Tonight while coaching
Squats:
warmup and stretch with the bar
135 x 12
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 8
255 x 5
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 2 (two 5th graders ran into the front of the rack to watch me. I almost busted up laughing so shut it down)

OH Press:
bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 8,6,5,5

Sounds like everything is going well; good lifting.

I am so heartened to hear of your work with the at-risk kids! They will be lucky to be coached by someone who knows the fundamentals. Is it all boys? Or do you work with girls too? In terms of gear, are you talking about gear for equipped lifting? Good to see you back!

I don’t know, laughing while squatting might be the new ultimate ab exercise…

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Sounds like everything is going well; good lifting.[/quote]

Thanks for checking in Joe.
I’m really admiring your program and progress. You are lifting smart like a seasoned pro.

[quote]Oldman Powers wrote:

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Congrats on the volunteer work, very admirable OP. [/quote]

Well I’m still not sure what I’ve gotten myself into this time. One of my goals this year was to “give” to people in need . I did some work with the homeless in the worst parts of San Francisco, but was always put on security detail and ended up with all day special projects. Folks that were way beyond help and very disruptive. Was hoping I could work with kids since most adults are beyond help.
This deal happened through a friend of a friend. I put it out there, but now thinking be careful what you ask for.[/quote]

Congrats on stepping up to help kids that may otherwise not be in a position to help themselves or not know how to get the help they might need. Your desire to help is admirable, your commitment to doing it is courageous.

I hope you are able to make a lasting impact on each kid in your program. With the low number (8) of kids you should be able to reach each one individually using lifting as the cataylist to learn the important life application skills they can deduce from lifting:

Goal Setting/Dedication to ones goals
Organization/Template
Hard Ass Work/Go Big or Go Home
Confidence through accomplishment/Trusting in themselves
Teamwork

I look forward to following your log and hearing more about your work with these kids.

Good template in here. I see how you went with the percentage guidelines, very smart.

When 2 lifts seem like squat and deadlift are close to the same intensity make one a speed day (lower %'s to 70 and do singles) make the other a volume day ( %75 and do a 5x5) the speed work goes first and will prep the volume exercise nicely. Upperbody - no worries.

Thats a good Template format- do you mind if I borrow the outline ?

Real good work in here,
Rick

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I am so heartened to hear of your work with the at-risk kids! They will be lucky to be coached by someone who knows the fundamentals. Is it all boys? Or do you work with girls too? In terms of gear, are you talking about gear for equipped lifting? Good to see you back![/quote]
The kids range from 14 to 19 and most are very inexperienced. Some have avoided squats because, “I heard they stunt my height”. I heard this from 3 boys on different occasions. :-0. I have everyone squatting now and they are really getting into it. I’m very focused on form as the number one priority.
I encourage girls every chance I get. Just finished the website page and promotes the sport for boys and girls. I embedded the USAPL promo video that highlight several women.
Gear isn’t required but I will support anyone that wants to use it.

[quote]corrmhona wrote:
I don’t know, laughing while squatting might be the new ultimate ab exercise…[/quote]
Haha. Something tells me that would be a train wreck of an exercise. :slight_smile:

[quote]urbanman wrote:
Congrats on stepping up to help kids that may otherwise not be in a position to help themselves or not know how to get the help they might need. Your desire to help is admirable, your commitment to doing it is courageous.

I hope you are able to make a lasting impact on each kid in your program. With the low number (8) of kids you should be able to reach each one individually using lifting as the cataylist to learn the important life application skills they can deduce from lifting:

Goal Setting/Dedication to ones goals
Organization/Template
Hard Ass Work/Go Big or Go Home
Confidence through accomplishment/Trusting in themselves
Teamwork

I look forward to following your log and hearing more about your work with these kids.[/quote]

Thanks Urbanman. 8 is a good number but I have a feeling the program is going to get big once word gets out. Will probably need to find help.