Back in the saddle

Hey Everyone!

I’m relatively new to T-Nation.
I had a friend tell me about the site and I decided to join because I’m getting back into lifting and such.
I’ve been working out (off and on) since I was 18 and now I’m 25.
Over the last year or so I’ve been struggling with finding steady employment so my gym time had been really hurt by my lack of finances (which I know isn’t an excuse).

Well, all that has changed and I’m getting back into the gym with this next paycheck.
This time, It’s not going to be an off and on again situation, see, I have plans to hit the gym really hard in hopes of competing in a bodybuilding competition before 2014.
The next competition is around March but I’m not sure I’ll be where I want to be by then.
We’ll see.

Anyway, I thought I’d introduce myself and I can’t wait to attack working out again!

Welcome and good luck!

Welcome aboard. Great that you’re getting on track with a goal. This is definitely the place to learn, find encouragement, and just trade thoughts with like minded (for the most part -lol) people.

There are certainly a good number of competitors on board these days, so you’ll find no lack of information once you’re ready to dial it all in!

S

Appreciate the support guys!
I’m thinking about posting my routine on here for some feedback. Should I post it in this thread or make a new one?

Welcome.

This thread is fine. Keep up the hard work and consistency and you’ll see results in no time.

Thanks guys!

Here’s what my plan is, I’m welcome to some input…

Day 1:

Chest -

Bench Press

Incline Press

Pull-Overs

(4 sets of 8-12 reps each)

Back -

Bent-Over Rows (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Deadlifts (3 sets 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps)

Day 2:

Shoulders

Push-Press (3 sets 6, 4, 2 reps)

Heavy Upright Rows (3 sets 10, 6, 4 reps)

Dumbbells Lateral Raises (4 sets 8-12reps)

Upper Arms

Standing Barbell Curl (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Seated Dumbbell Curls (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Close-Grip Bench (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Skull Crushers with Barbell (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Forearms

Wrist Curls (4 sets, 12 reps)

Day 3:

Thighs

Squats (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Leg curls (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Leg Press (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Calves

Standing Calf Raises (5 sets, 15 reps)

And then repeat.

What do you guys think?

[quote]T-800 wrote:
Thanks guys!

Here’s what my plan is, I’m welcome to some input…

Day 1:

Chest -

Bench Press

Incline Press

Pull-Overs

(4 sets of 8-12 reps each)

Back -

Bent-Over Rows (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Deadlifts (3 sets 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps)

Day 2:

Shoulders

Push-Press (3 sets 6, 4, 2 reps)

Heavy Upright Rows (3 sets 10, 6, 4 reps)

Dumbbells Lateral Raises (4 sets 8-12reps)

Upper Arms

Standing Barbell Curl (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Seated Dumbbell Curls (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Close-Grip Bench (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Skull Crushers with Barbell (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Forearms

Wrist Curls (4 sets, 12 reps)

Day 3:

Thighs

Squats (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Leg curls (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Leg Press (4 sets, 8-12 reps)

Calves

Standing Calf Raises (5 sets, 15 reps)

And then repeat.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

1. Incline/flat bench: make sure one of those is DBs
  2. Back: you should add another movement, a pulldown variation. Bent over rows will really tax your lower back before deadlifts, why not go with a single arm row like DB row, or 1-arm BB with one end of the bar pegged in a corner and 25s on the other end? It’s more load on your lats and less load on your lower back then a BB row. Keep your erectors fresh for DLs.
  3. Add a high rep movement for your rear delts on shoulders/arms day. Perhaps bent over laterals in place of upright rows.
  4. Add another compound hamstring movement…a stiff-leg variation. If this is too much volume at the start just do 3 worksets of each of the 4 exercises and work up to higher number of sets.

Agreed, need more back and leg work

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Bent over rows will really tax your lower back before deadlifts, why not go with a single arm row like DB row, or 1-arm BB with one end of the bar pegged in a corner and 25s on the other end? It’s more load on your lats and less load on your lower back then a BB row. Keep your erectors fresh for DLs.[/quote]

Never thought of that. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. /hijack.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Bent over rows will really tax your lower back before deadlifts, why not go with a single arm row like DB row, or 1-arm BB with one end of the bar pegged in a corner and 25s on the other end? It’s more load on your lats and less load on your lower back then a BB row. Keep your erectors fresh for DLs.[/quote]

Never thought of that. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. /hijack.[/quote]

Heh, was just thinking the same thing. My lower back is where I struggle the most (including today). Gonna switch out bent over BB rows with the one armed DB rows… Thanks! /hijackalso

–Me

jskrabac, I appreciate the input and will absolutely add this into my workout! Thanks!

[quote]T-800 wrote:
jskrabac, I appreciate the input and will absolutely add this into my workout! Thanks![/quote]

Good luck! You’re hitting all the essentials and will be able to run with this for quite some time. If you’re anything like me, you’re gonna want to tweak rep ranges and exercises 4 weeks or so…I get bored rather quickly =/ Stick to the same template though. I.e. BB press to DB press, DB bent over laterals to cable rear delts flyes, or leg press to hack squat…stuff like that.

Is that your plan indefinitely? It will work until it doesn’t.
Agree with the suggestion above about a vertical pulling motion.
Ride the above routine until there is no more progress. Then change it.
Diet dialed in?

As for diet it I have a friend of mine, who studies nutrition and she’s working with me on my diet.
The last time I was lifting consistently I would take Visalus and it would give me an incredible pump, I plan on taking this again as I really liked the results.