T Nation

Back In the Gym Finally

Have not lifted in about one year and during that time I was just lifting if you know what I mean. Have not training serious in a couple of years, married, kids, etc. Not an excuse at all. What is a good workout to get back in shape ASAP, body split, German volume, etc. Plz help. Thanks. Rob.

One that involves lifting weights usually works best.

If you haven’t been lifting in a while, then you should lose the “ASAP” part of the post. If you try to do too much too soon, you’re just going to stop again. You have to make this a part of your lifestyle and not a bandaid to fix years of abuse.

Lift, rest, repeat.

The actual routine that you follow isn’t as important as making sure you follow it.

With that said… don’t do German Volume or anything like that. Look at any of the myriad beginner’s programs on this site but stay away from anything extreme or advanced. Keep it simple with free weights, compound exercises, moderate sets and volume.

I always loved the 5x5 to to refocus myself. Really though Pencil nailed it for me, just get in and get something going for 6 weeks. They say it takes 21 days to establish a new habit to replace the old bad one. 21 days is not a long time to force a change, you got this!

Just wanted to say welcome and echo what some of the others have said. Just start doing some basic lifts for the major body parts til you get back into the swing of things. Then you can try all the different theories, routines, abbreviations, etc.

Welcome to the Site. Keep us posted on your progress

Welcome - I’m also really just getting into the gym. Been at it for about 6 months now and it really is all about just getting in there and lifting.