Back & Front Squat Form Check Please

[quote]Chaddyboxer wrote:
AAAAAND the inflexibility issue in your right gastroc. Start stretching that baby out. That could also be attributing to the left hip drop issue. [/quote]

greats posts everyone!

It’s funny you mention that, over the last 2 weeks I’ve been noticing some tightness in the right one especially. When I was younger I had a lot of foot/knee issues. I’d wake up at night screaming when I was 5 my knees hurt so bad. The issues cleared up, but I do get tight sometimes, especially on the right side. I also have extra bones in my left foot which is odd.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

AAAAAND the inflexibility issue in your right gastroc. Start stretching that baby out. That could also be attributing to the left hip drop issue. [/quote]

greats posts everyone!

It’s funny you mention that, over the last 2 weeks I’ve been noticing some tightness in the right one especially. When I was younger I had a lot of foot/knee issues. I’d wake up at night screaming when I was 5 my knees hurt so bad. The issues cleared up, but I do get tight sometimes, especially on the right side. I also have extra bones in my left foot which is odd. [/quote]

Ya just gotta be vigilant about it. In regards to knee pain, did you ever get diagnosed with Osgood Slaughter’s? Do you have prominent bumps just below your knee cap on your tibia’s? I am just curious…b/c that is a tpyical musculoskeletal disease that affects many children.

I have a lot of issues with symmetry and hips and such

one thing thats really helped me is to warm up with this glute activation article in t-na - teaching my glutes to fire symmetrically, and trying to isolate the muscles and fire them before squating. It’s taken me a really long time to increase weight in squats because of all the asymmetrys im working through - tipped pelvis, one legs shorter, etc- but i’m not really in a hurry i guess :wink:

also i think split squats are a great way to find out where your weaknesses are and also a good warm up for squatting.

good luck.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

greats posts everyone!

It’s funny you mention that, over the last 2 weeks I’ve been noticing some tightness in the right one especially. When I was younger I had a lot of foot/knee issues. I’d wake up at night screaming when I was 5 my knees hurt so bad. The issues cleared up, but I do get tight sometimes, especially on the right side. I also have extra bones in my left foot which is odd. [/quote]

Ya just gotta be vigilant about it. In regards to knee pain, did you ever get diagnosed with Osgood Slaughter’s? Do you have prominent bumps just below your knee cap on your tibia’s? I am just curious…b/c that is a tpyical musculoskeletal disease that affects many children. [/quote]

Holy crap. As a teenager I started having horrible knee pain below (not underneath) my knee cap especially after playing basketball. It was around that time I really noticed those bumps. They were actually really tender, like the bone was soft and it really hurt just to touch them. This was late 80’s/early 90’s so no internet to surf for info and wasn’t serious enough for me to see a doc about. I just kinda thought it was growing pains of some sort. Never knew it was an actual disease. I can’t kneel with my feet flat because ALL my weight is concentrated on that one tiny surface area. Kills me.

Thanks for posting that!

Also, good thread as I have a similar hitching in my squat that looks EXACTLY like this. I also notice the same hitch when I do SLDL. I’m inclined to believe it’s an activation issue in my right glute. Still working on it.

Chaddy,
I will argue the belt issue with you… A great deal of power in squats comes from the core which ask any powerlifter and they will tell you is dramatically improved when you take a big breath and expand your midsection in a belt just like deads. Epecially since he is trying to do singles and doubles he is doing more powerlifting at these rep ranges than bodybuilding. If he was repin out 225 for 10s i would say go ahead and go belt free at that weight… He clearly isn’t so from both a safety and power perspective belt up after 40% of your 1rm. SO for him 185 would be a belted lift… If you don’t believe me read up some of the squat articles from the guys who know in here… they will all tell you the same thing.

[quote]Swolle wrote:
Chaddy,
I will argue the belt issue with you… A great deal of power in squats comes from the core which ask any powerlifter and they will tell you is dramatically improved when you take a big breath and expand your midsection in a belt just like deads. Epecially since he is trying to do singles and doubles he is doing more powerlifting at these rep ranges than bodybuilding. If he was repin out 225 for 10s i would say go ahead and go belt free at that weight… He clearly isn’t so from both a safety and power perspective belt up after 40% of your 1rm. SO for him 185 would be a belted lift… If you don’t believe me read up some of the squat articles from the guys who know in here… they will all tell you the same thing. [/quote]
I won’t disagree with you at all man. We are pretty much on the same page. I believe a weight belt is not a bad tool to use at all, especially with those high-intensity sets. I just think that the transverse abdominis doesn’t get very much attention, esp. when you rely on a weight belt all the time. BUT…once again, weight belts should be used with the higher-intensity sets. So…in short, I am definitely not disagreeing with you. Are opinions seem to parallel one another to a decent degree.

I just think that the transverse abdominis doesn’t get very much attention, esp. when you rely on a weight belt all the time. [/quote]

This is nonsense.

Don’t get caught up in therapeutic nonsense about the need to focus on this small muscle that cannot be separated in function, anatomy, or load transfer, from any of the other ventro-lateral abdominals.