Back Friendly Exercises?

I’m rehabbing from a ruptured disk along with a couple more that are bulging. My main concern is to try and avoid loss of leg strength as much as possible while not agitating anything and was looking for advice on particular lifts and body weight exercises that could be useful.

I have basic rehab routines from the doctor and have gotten the ok to lift lower body lightly but would like to see if there are any particularly helpful workouts for back rehab. If it helps the ruptured disk is L5-S1 and the bulging are between L3-L4 and L4-L5. Any advice would be very appreciated!

im going through the same problem, what my physiotherapist told me was to do single leg exercices. Just google them or go to http://www.strengthcoach.com/ and read through Michael Boyles articles.

Just remember to keep your back tight and straight :wink:

I think hip belt squats are great. I often recommend the Super Squat Hip belt from www.ironmind.com

Make that back strong so you don’t have issues in the future.

I strongly suggest going to backfitpro.com and getting the ULtimate Fitness and Performance book. Also read the 7th chapter of Science and Praceice of Strength Training. First edition (1995) is better than second (2006) but is hard to find.

split squats, reverse lunges, core work. done.

Lower back saver articles by Eric Cressy on tnation.

Im no expert but I have had my fair share of lower back problems.
Like a couple of other posters above say; do single leg work. Split squats, single leg deadlifts, lunges, step ups with barbell…

I would be interested to hear what specific core work people would recommend for those who have lower back difficulties. Planks? Leg raises? TRX work?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Like a couple of other posters above say; do single leg work. Split squats, single leg deadlifts, lunges, step ups with barbell…

I would be interested to hear what specific core work people would recommend for those who have lower back difficulties. Planks? Leg raises? TRX work?

tweet[/quote]

anything without flexing the spine, so yes planks and various ways to make them harder, front squat holds if compression is not an issue, i like palates esc core training actually alot myself, focusing on contracting as hard as possible with minimal movement really teaches you how to use your whole ‘core’

[quote]bignate wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

anything without flexing the spine, so yes planks and various ways to make them harder, front squat holds if compression is not an issue, i like palates esc core training actually alot myself, focusing on contracting as hard as possible with minimal movement really teaches you how to use your whole ‘core’ [/quote]

Thanks buddy.

So are you saying that core work does help with lower back problems?
I dream of squatting again one day, and I am trying to do anything to “protect” myself from lower back injury again. Anything!

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

anything without flexing the spine, so yes planks and various ways to make them harder, front squat holds if compression is not an issue, i like palates esc core training actually alot myself, focusing on contracting as hard as possible with minimal movement really teaches you how to use your whole ‘core’ [/quote]

Thanks buddy.

So are you saying that core work does help with lower back problems?
I dream of squatting again one day, and I am trying to do anything to “protect” myself from lower back injury again. Anything!

tweet[/quote]

lets put it this way, i was plauged with back spasms since i started lifting, made wrose by collisions in football, made worse by improper programming. I can now squat and dl again, pain free (done 225+ on squats, 315+ on deads still in the infancy of coming back) and i attribute this to proper planning in addition to a shit load of core work.

I started with 5x30sec on planks everyday, then added in front squat holds 2-3x a week, and now i do various combinations of planks, leg lifts/swings, front squat holds, and other palates shit i can think of. And my back has never felt better, even though i still have no fluid in my 3-4 lowest discs.

So yes, core work, when done correctly is completely needed to save your back, but it cannot be done alone. you still shouldnt say squat 7x a week, with max loads. I have learned to know my body super well and not push beyond my safe limits. Safety is more important to me than maxing out now, or a 20lb pr.

I hope you have gotten things back on track with your rehab program.

I see this post is a couple months old, but could you describe the rehab routines the doctor gave you. I’m just curious what he prescribed? This is an MD, right? Thanks

Which direction is the bulge? Posterior? Anterior? Lateral? A combination of two?

The answer to this question will determine which exercises you should be doing. All the recommended exercises so far may be the best thing for you…or the worst.

Forums like this really convince me how bad an idea it is to take advice from people on the internet sometimes. You need to get yourself a good physical therapist.