Back Extension for Hamstrings?

Some T-Nation programs includes back-extension as a program for hamstrings ; when I do it, I feel it really more in the lower back than in the hamstrings…

Is it normal?

The lower the support pad the more your hamstrings become activated.

Try doing them with one leg.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Try doing them with one leg.[/quote]

…if you’re looking to royally fuck your knee up.

Where the hell did you come up with that idiotic idea?

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

Where the hell did you come up with that idiotic idea?[/quote]

If your hamstrings are strong enough, you won’t fuck up anything. It’s not inherently dangerous. Thanks for playing our game though. RJ, tell him what he’s won!!

To the OP - like was said, pad position can make a difference. Think of this this way - if you let your back round down (like a cat) then straighten it up, it’s a lower back exercise. If you keep your lower back/abs locked in place and pivot about the hip, it’s a glute/hamstring exercise. A little oversimplified, but that’s the basic difference.

-Dan

rrjc5488 wrote:

Where the hell did you come up with the idea that doing doing extensions with one leg will fuck up your knee?

I’ve never heard of this. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m not necessarily saying your right either.

Its the same movement, just with one leg. I also dont see where your knees come into play. Back extensions are done with your ankle under a pad, and your thigh/hip on top of a pad.

rrjc5488 wrote:

You’re joking…right? Guess you don’t know who Ian King is.

I used to do back raises only thinking about my back but when I saw a pic of a glute/ham raise for the first time, it set off a light bulb in my head. Now when I approach the last part of the motion, I actually bend my knees as if I were on a glute/ham raise. So the motion looks like a lower-back raise that transitions into a glute/ham raise. This allows me to work my back and hams.

Since I learned how to activate my hammys in this lift, I can tell a big difference! When I finish a set, I can barely pick up my feet, because my hamstrings are in shock! The next-day soreness only reinforces the fact that I hit them good.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Try doing them with one leg.[/quote]

Well, I tried them on a 45 degree back extension, and I can tell you that you have a good chance of really fuckin up your knees on that thing. I just dumped the whole thing, as my tendons around the knees hurt so much I couldn’t walk properly, not to mention that I couldn’t even curl my leg normally (simple movement of a body, not on a machine).
And btw, the movement might be ok if you don’t have your knees fucked up like I do.

And also doing them on an ordinary back ext. device might be different. I dunno.

rrjc5488 wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459279

To simon, check the above link out.

To the OP, in addition to changing the pad angle and keeping your back arched, try having someone touch them while you do the exercise.

Cheers,
Pat

[quote]

To the OP, in addition to changing the pad angle and keeping your back arched, try having someone touch them while you do the exercise.

Cheers,
Pat[/quote]

If it were that easy, I wouldn’t need to exercise.

[quote]LoneLobo wrote:
If it were that easy, I wouldn’t need to exercise.[/quote]

What I meant, of course, was that, by touching a muscle group, it will cause it to fire. Therefore it sort of “wakes up” the muscle, allowing it to do more work during the exercise. Obviously I didn’t mean that just touching a muscle will make it Grow! (If that were the case there would be a lot of men that had bigger, um, biceps!)

The back extension done in a back extension or hyper extension as it is sometimes called is isometric.

The lower back takes a load very similar to a stiff legged deadlift, but it is not responsible for moving your body at all.

All you are doing is hip extension working the glutes and hamstrings. Since the pad makes it impossible for your legs to move, your legs anchor in and pull your upper body upright via the hip.

You are not trying to excessively arch your back if that is what you are doing. You may not have good control of your glutes or hamstrings, or may just be thinking of the exercise in the wrong way. Think of it as a stiff legged dead.