Back Extension Angle

Hi,

I’m adding these into my routine as a warmup exercise alongside ab work and good mornings. The goal is to strengthen the lower back to aid squat and deadlift. I am wondering what do I buy, a 45 bench, 90 bench or a GHR. I know these can be done on any of them but which is more effective for this purpose? I’ve read all sorts of opinions, 45’s are for beginners, 90’s for intermediates. GHR’s can do it all and more. I already do GM’s and have a strong core. I can pick up a 45 quite cheaply but want don’t want to do that if a 90 is more effective for my training goals?

Thanks,

Kenny Kroxdale lifts and sells equipment. Check out his thoughts.

"45 Degree Hip/Back Extension

This provides some good information on the 45 Degree Hip/Back Extension.

It’s essentially a Good Morning performed from a different angle.

Bell Shaped Strength Curve Training

The 45 Degree Hip/Back Extension has a “Bell Shaped Strength Curve”. That means it is easy at the beginning and end of the movement.

It is hard in the middle part of he movement. As he stated in the video, this works the mid range knee area of a Deadlift.

90 Degree/Parallel Hip/Back Extension

This essentially is a Good Morning from a different angle, as well.

“Descending Strength Curve Training”

The 90 Degree Hip/Back Extension has a “Descending Strength Curve”. That means it is easy at the beginning and middle part of the movement; hard at the end/lockout.

It works the top end/lockout of a Deadlift.

Good Morning Hip/Back Extension

Another version of a Hip/Back Extension from a different angle.

The Ascending Strength Curve

The Good Morning has an “Ascending Shaped Strength Curve”. That means it is hard in the bottom position and easier at the middle and top part of the movement.

Good Morning increase strength and power off the floor of a Deadlift.

Choose The Right Tool For The Job

Each of these Hip/Back Extension Exercises elicits a different training effect.

1. 45 Degree Hip/Back Extension for increasing Mid Range Strength; knee area of the Deadlift.
  2. 90 Degree Hip/Back Extension for increasing Top End/Lockout of the Deadlift.
  3. Good Morning Hip/Back Extension for increasing strength and power off the floor of he Deadlift

Kenny Croxdale"

4 Likes

I’ve seen Toshiki Yamamoto (2019 OIympic weightlifting world champion) do 45° a few days ago.

I’ve done them up to with a 100kgs. Suddenly they’re not for beginners anymore ahah

I’ve always prefered 45 over 90, but I think the GHR would be the best in the end because you can still have a decent substitute to 45° with Good mornings

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas.

Agreed