Back and Shoulders Separately?

I’m doing, at the moment, a 4days training. First day I do pec, second day I do back/shoulder, third day I do biceps/triceps and the last day I do Quads/Hams/abs and I was wondering, after reading some articles about it, if doing back and shoulder separately is more efficient? Is this too much to do a full day based on shoulder exercises?

Second of all, I’m getting tired of not getting pound of muscles after month and month. Maybe you’ll think I dont train hard, but I’m not the type of guy that do social in gym. I keep focussing on my BB/DB,etc. My next training would be like this:
P.S. when it’s the same number, it’s because its a superset

Day 1:
1-Wide grip pull-up 6sets of 10-12reps
1-Bench press 6sets of 8
2-BB behind neck press 5sets of 10
2-High pulley crossover 5sets of 8
3-BB shrugs 6sets of 10-12
3-BB upright row 6sets to muscle failure
3-Peck deck 6sets of 8
4-Hanging row (hand reversed) 6sets of 8
4-DB bench press 6sets of 12

Day 2
1-Mid pulley crossover 3sets of 10-15 with light weight to wake up my system
1-Seated pulley parallel grip row 3sets of 12
2-Incline bench press 6sets of 8-10
2-DB bent over row 6 sets of 12
3-Matrix incline press 6sets of 12
3-Side deck on double-pulley 6sets of 10
4-DB pullover 6sets of 12
4-T-bar row 6sets of 12

Day 3
1-DB curls 6sets of 8
1-DB tricep extension 6sets of 12
2-Preacher curl 6 sets of 12
2-Dips 6sets of 8
3-Reverse curl 6sets of 12
3-Seated Overhead DB tricep extension 6sets of8
4-Incline curl6sets of 12
4-Rope tricep extension 6sets of 12

Day 4
1-Squat 6sets of 8-10
2-Leg press 6sets of 12
3-Leg extension 6sets of 12
3-Leg curl 6sets of 12
4-Seated calves extension 6sets of 10
4-Smite machine calves extension 6sets of 12
5-Some abs

I’m almost always doing superset, but I saw no difference with my weight when I am not doing superset. So can someone tell me what to improve in my training?

What does your diet look like? Even with a shitty program/bad intensity a beginner could still put on muscle by overfeeding himself. Make sure that you’re putting as much intensity in the kitchen as you are in the gym

[quote]lemonman456 wrote:
What does your diet look like? Even with a shitty program/bad intensity a beginner could still put on muscle by overfeeding himself. Make sure that you’re putting as much intensity in the kitchen as you are in the gym[/quote]

My diet look like this:

8a.m.: 3 whole eggs + 1 protein shake + 2toast with peanut butter
10:55a.m.: Square of cheese + bunch of biscott
12:12p.m.: A smoothies full of fruit with protein powder in it
12:45p.m.: Turkey sandwich + carrots + 2fruits + nuts + 1L of milk
3:15p.m.: Cheese + 500ml of milk
4:45p.m.: Peanut butter sandwich + lots of nuts
6:00p.m.: Any kind of meat + green vegtables + Undefined quantity of milk + 1Fruit
10:00p.m.: 1 protein shake
12:00a.m.: Cereal + 2toast with peanut butter and jelly

your training is a mess and your diet is no better. read the stickies and the <username: how do you train?" threads plus the alpha roundtable stuff.

you are doing too many exercises and why do you do chest and back on two days?

Day 1:
1-Wide grip pull-up 6sets of 10-12reps (BACK)
1-Bench press 6sets of 8 (CHEST)
2-BB behind neck press 5sets of 10 (shoulders???)
2-High pulley crossover 5sets of 8 (Chest)
3-BB shrugs 6sets of 10-12 (traps???)
3-BB upright row 6sets to muscle failure (traps and medials)
3-Peck deck 6sets of 8 (chest???)
4-Hanging row (hand reversed) 6sets of 8 (back)
4-DB bench press 6sets of 12 (Chest again?)

Day 2
1-Mid pulley crossover 3sets of 10-15 with light weight to wake up my system (chest)
1-Seated pulley parallel grip row 3sets of 12 (back)
2-Incline bench press 6sets of 8-10 (chest)
2-DB bent over row 6 sets of 12 (back)
3-Matrix incline press 6sets of 12 (chest, morpheus style)
3-Side deck on double-pulley 6sets of 10 (god only knows)
4-DB pullover 6sets of 12 (lats)
4-T-bar row 6sets of 12 (back)

you see what a mess that is?

jesus christ that’s a lot of volume…i think I do that much in a month.

Nothing wrong with training shoulders and back on the same day.

However your routine needs alot of work. Way too many exercises, sets, and reps.
Follow the advice of the previous poster and check out the stickies for some training routines.

As for nutrition. If you aren’t putting on size then you need to up the calories.

Day one has 52 sets. That’s way too much volume. Since you’re a beginner, find a routine/system that’s proven and go with it for a while. If you aren’t making gains, then you probably aren’t eating enough. To help you understand calories and food, try using a calorie counting program for a little while. There are a number of free programs on the internet or for smartphones/iphones.

I hate threads like this simply because I’d really like to help, but don’t know where the hell to start.

OP, do what I did almost three years ago: scrap everything you think you know about training and start from square one. Get to reading on this site and this site only - we’re pretty damned averse to bullshit around here so most of the info you’ll receive is legit.

AC, the wheels are looking fuckin stout, my friend. Nice work.

Any reason you’re having a smoothie at 12:12? Followed by a full meal at 12:45

[quote]actionboy wrote:
3-Matrix incline press 6sets of 12 (chest, morpheus style)
3-Side deck on double-pulley 6sets of 10 (god only knows)
[/quote]

LOL

At 197 lbs. I have a 425lb raw squat, 320 raw bench, and 515 raw deadlift and I haven’t eaten peanut butter in over 30 years when my mom made me sandwiches for school. I would up the meat content, and cut your workouts down to the basics and you will get stronger. Try a 3x3 or 5x5 program. It’s hard to make gains doing 6 sets of 10 of everything. Get strong and then worry about the finesse exercises. And I wouldn’t do upright rows until failure either, unless you want to fuck up your rotator cuffs like I once did. Someone forgot to tell me there’s no world competition for upright rows.

[quote]Vortura wrote:
At 197 lbs. I have a 425lb raw squat, 320 raw bench, and 515 raw deadlift and I haven’t eaten peanut butter in over 30 years when my mom made me sandwiches for school. I would up the meat content, and cut your workouts down to the basics and you will get stronger. Try a 3x3 or 5x5 program. It’s hard to make gains doing 6 sets of 10 of everything. Get strong and then worry about the finesse exercises. And I wouldn’t do upright rows until failure either, unless you want to fuck up your rotator cuffs like I once did. Someone forgot to tell me there’s no world competition for upright rows.

[/quote]
How heavy were your upright rows? I always go til failure lol

I was doing upright rows at 135 lbs. with an olympic bar (probably a bad choice of bar- no need to perform a balancing act) and got good enough to do 12 reps, so I started experimenting with 145 and 155 and that didn’t work out so well.

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Mass Made Simple - T Nation Content - COMMUNITY - T NATION [/quote]
I don’t think I’ll ever not giggle at how this link gets auto-shortened. Giggity, giggity.

That said, something like this Dan John plan will be much more productive for you. You’re a 6’2" 175 pound teenage dude. I was exactly where you are when I was your age. Actually, you have 5 pounds on me. :wink:

With the benefit of hindsight, I recognize now that one of my biggest hindrances back then was putzing around on retarded programs, changing those programs way, way too often, and eating like, um, like a teenager that didn’t want to build muscle.

As was said, this really is as simple as eating a bit more every day. Consistently.

EDIT: Hot damn, they got me. Why the hell was this nine-month old thread bumped? Vortura, dude, how’d you manage to find this thread and why’d you bother posting in it?

I do something similar to your program. Not because I want to gain size but because I want to stay fit in between playing pick up games and drumming and work. It’s very good for maintenance when your not worrying about your diet too much. Even still I have days when I specialize. That’s what your program is missing, specially starting out.

If you start out with supersets and clusterfucks, you never learn about mental intensity. I remember the feeling and its still too difficult to implement when doing a million different sets in a million different stations. You won’t gain much muscle.

Decide what your trying to do…
Focus in the weight room. Feel the muscle work then perform the set as intense as you can. Rest the time in between sets is as much for your mind as it is for your muscle. Helps your concentration. … Focus do another set. Then switch to another Exercise that hits the muscle slightly different. You’ll build more muscle that way. Instead your body has A.D.D. like your routine.