Back and At It... Again

Hey Everyone!

So I may be a familiar face to some, but I know since I disappeared in August there are definitely some new faces around. So brief intro:

I joined T-Nation right around the time I ran my first half-marathon. Running at the time was something I loved and would do to work off some steam. After the race, I was waiting for my body to tell me it was ready to run again and it never did… so off to my next goal I went. I was training with ddot76 (who I think has disappeared from TN since his wedding) and decided squatting 225 was my next goal. After training for that, I fell in love with the big 3 and got into powerlifting. I did 2 meets (best lifts were 331, 181, 303, but the deadlift I missed 2 pulls since I was going for a certain total… I pulled 315 raw the next week :D).

Anyway, after those meets I moved to California to do my MBA and have been playing in the land of fun and sun since September. For a while I got back into my eating like shit, drinking too much and going to the gym far too infrequently routine, but am over that. I’m eating better, drinking less (however this whole college thing still involves quite a bit of booze) and training more regularly. I’m not currently focused on PLing but am doing some more fun stuff and unilateral work to take care of my angry body.

That said, last weekend I headed a few hours north and trained with Bartl for 2 sessions and realized how much of a pussy I’ve turned into. It’s like I forgot how to breath when I lift and definitely forgot what it’s like to train with someone. Had a few good sessions earlier this week then Friday was all day NEPA wandering around Disneyland and yesterday was fun day: 3 hours of co-ed flag football practice and volleyball practice in the sun (definitely got quite burned). Today is an off day of reading for the week and writing a paper, then back at it tomorrow morning after class.

I’ve decided to get back to keeping a log to keep track of my gym life and get some sort of “training partner” feeling (and accountability) since the 18 year old freshmen in the gym who don’t understand why I squat don’t quite do it. It was much harder to miss more than a day at the gym back home where all of a sudden I was getting calls or texts wondering where I was. So now, you guys will be my texts and calls in a way :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention that I fly out Wednesday morning to go to Quebec City for CPU nationals! I’m resting up in preparation since I’ll be handling 4 women (all in the same Friday am session) as well as wrapping/running numbers/whatever else my club needs of me Thurs - Sat. So excited and can’t wait though!

I’m one of the new faces. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to following along. Your numbers at the meets are very impressive! Were those with gear, or raw?

Hope you enjoy Quebec! It’s a beautiful city.

Hiya! Glad to see you back…

Welcome back Court!

[quote]RBlue wrote:

Looking forward to following along. Your numbers at the meets are very impressive! Were those with gear, or raw?

Hope you enjoy Quebec! It’s a beautiful city.[/quote]

Hey!

I’m actually from Toronto-ish originally and went to school in Montreal, so have been to Quebec City a number of times :slight_smile: I’m excited!

Those numbers are with gear… raw I was about 245/120/315

Hi, Court!

Hi Betty, Deb & Skyel!

So I just experienced my first earthquake. It was really weird. I realized I have no idea what I’m supposed to do in one which is probably important now that I live in California… Anyways, hope everyone in the San Diego area is well since they would have felt it stronger than we did.

[quote]Court wrote:

[quote]RBlue wrote:

Hey!

I’m actually from Toronto-ish originally and went to school in Montreal, so have been to Quebec City a number of times :slight_smile: I’m excited!

Those numbers are with gear… raw I was about 245/120/315[/quote]

Awesome numbers, either way!

So funny, I am from the T.O. area, and went to school in Montreal as well. Where did you study? I was at McGill for the first two years of my undergrad.

I (silently) followed along with your log back when you were keeping it. You’re actually one of the reasons I got interested in powerlifting, so it’s great to see you back. I’m hoping to do my first raw PL comp by the end of the summer, if I can up my numbers enough over the next few months.

Remind me, where in Cali are you going to school? (I’m in the LA area)

[quote]RBlue wrote:

[quote]Court wrote:

[quote]RBlue wrote:

Hey!

Those numbers are with gear… raw I was about 245/120/315[/quote]

Awesome numbers, either way!

So funny, I am from the T.O. area, and went to school in Montreal as well. Where did you study? I was at McGill for the first two years of my undergrad.[/quote]

I’ve been reading a few logs/posts the past month or so and actually thought your profile pic looked really familiar. Plus I know a lot of the girls at my old gym competed in figure together… Burlington by chance?

I graduated from McGill in 2006.

Edit: I take it back. Read a few pages of your log / looked at video. Definitely not my (old) gym :slight_smile:

[quote]Chimera23 wrote:
I (silently) followed along with your log back when you were keeping it. You’re actually one of the reasons I got interested in powerlifting, so it’s great to see you back. I’m hoping to do my first raw PL comp by the end of the summer, if I can up my numbers enough over the next few months.

Remind me, where in Cali are you going to school? (I’m in the LA area)[/quote]

Hey! So did you just feel the quake too? That’s actually very flattering that I helped your interest in PL. Once I get un-fat I will get back to PL type lifting hopefully and get a comp under my belt out here. Do you have a particular one you’re looking at doing? I’m going to UCI and currently living in Irvine. Will be up in the Hermosa/Redondo area come June for my internship then back down to Newport in the fall.

Glad to see you back! I’m looking forward to see how things go.
Your numbers are purty.

welcome back, woman. I’ve turned these bitches into potty mouths, for the most part. your influence is always appreciated around here.

and stop the “once i get unfat” shit or i’ll send you over to Figure Athlete.

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
welcome back, woman. I’ve turned these bitches into potty mouths, for the most part. your influence is always appreciated around here.

and stop the “once i get unfat” shit or i’ll send you over to Figure Athlete. [/quote]

Let me clarify before I get banished to the world of FA where they’re bound to yell at me for eating carbs. Basically what I meant was I got unhappy with how soft looking I was becoming, started doing this low carb shit and more interval/metabolic style training and once I get over it (in approximately 3 days when I leave for nationals) I will come back likely to do 5/3/1 because it’s easy to remember and I’m not always that bright.

As for potty mouths, would you believe it if I told you I’m a changed woman and my potty mouth rarely comes out? Didn’t think so… In fact one of my good male friends at school recently described me (to one of his friends I’m seeing) as “not a nice person, but a good person” meaning I’m sassy and have a potty mouth :slight_smile:

Court, I was a silent follower of your old log. Pink chucks/pink belt = very awesome.

Great to see you back here!

What was your PL weight class? I’m always interested in the strength-to-weight ratio issue. Probably has something to do with the fact that I’m small and the numbers I throw around often pale in comparison to most of the regulars here. Welcome back, by the way.

[quote]Court wrote:

[quote]Chimera23 wrote:

Remind me, where in Cali are you going to school? (I’m in the LA area)[/quote]

Hey! So did you just feel the quake too? That’s actually very flattering that I helped your interest in PL. Once I get un-fat I will get back to PL type lifting hopefully and get a comp under my belt out here. Do you have a particular one you’re looking at doing? I’m going to UCI and currently living in Irvine. Will be up in the Hermosa/Redondo area come June for my internship then back down to Newport in the fall.[/quote]

Yeah, it was a fun rolling one - welcome to California, land of the shaking ground. For reference, if the earthquake is big and scary, hide under a table or in a doorway - if they’re small like that one was, just enjoy the ride.

I haven’t decided which comp to do yet. The gym I belong to is one of those frou-frou places where no one has even heard of powerlifting, so I’m kind of going in blind. Ideally a smallish one to get my feet wet first.

Kimba - Thank you :slight_smile: I quite love my pink on pink combo. One of the ladies will be borrowing my belt in Quebec. I told her she needs to rock a pink shirt

Chimera - Check your PMs re: powerlifting :slight_smile:

Snap - I did my first meet at 67.5kg (148) and my 2nd at 75 (165). I ate “up” to be near the top of 165, but leading up to it was training probably around 156 or so.

Nice to see you back Court, and we’ll see you in Quebec on Thursday.