T Nation

Back After 4 Years

Inset is a photo of me in January 2007. After 4 years away from bodybuilding, I decided to come back.

I am 36 years old, 180.3cm tall and hungrier than ever.

So how is my progress so far?

Janaury 2007. Weight 191 lbs. Bench 60kg, squat 60kg, deadlift 100kg, military press 30kg.

April 2007. Weight 228lbs (37lbs mass). Bench 140kg for 3, Squat 210kg for 6, Deadlift 220kg for 5, military press 90kg for 6.

Typical daily food.
Meal 1. 5 wheatabix with whey protien on top, and large glass fruit juice. 650mg Tribulus 2 Multivits.

Meal 2. 1 Banana, 30g whey with water, 2 small oranges, 200g yoghurt.

Meal 3. Chicken and Pasta salad

Meal 4. 1 Banana, 30g whey with water, 2 small oranges, 200g yoghurt.

Meal 5. Tuna & Pasta salad

PreWorkout. 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine, 3.5g AAKG, 10g Dextrose, 10g Maltodextrin mixed in fruit juice. 650mg tribulus, 2 multivits.

Meal 6. 300g Beef Steak, Garlic Bread

Meal 7. Approx 1000cal shake, preferably calcium casinate protien due to slower absorption during sleep.

Training: No set exercises, just go to gym and do whatever I feel.
Mon: Chest & Tri’s
Tue: Legs
Wed: Off
Thu: Back & Bi’s
Fri: Shoulders
Sat: Off
Sun: Off

Anabolics: NONE!

Before my 4 years off, I trained with varying intensity, and enthusiasm for 12 years. However, I am now out lifting my former self, and have a higher body weight than I used to.

Just goes to show what can be achieved when you are hungry, optimistic, and truly believe in yourself.

After pic to follow.

B1GJ0E

And here is me now:

April 2007

Your training split looks fine…

diet…

[quote]
Meal 1. 5 wheatabix with whey protien on top, and large glass fruit juice. 650mg Tribulus 2 Multivits.

Meal 2. 1 Banana, 30g whey with water, 2 small oranges, 200g yoghurt.

Meal 3. Chicken and Pasta salad

Meal 4. 1 Banana, 30g whey with water, 2 small oranges, 200g yoghurt.

Meal 5. Tuna & Pasta salad

PreWorkout. 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine, 3.5g AAKG, 10g Dextrose, 10g Maltodextrin mixed in fruit juice. 650mg tribulus, 2 multivits.

Meal 6. 300g Beef Steak, Garlic Bread

Meal 7. Approx 1000cal shake, preferably calcium casinate protien due to slower absorption during sleep. [/quote]

Hmmmmm. Post workout would be the best place to stick your shake imo. Your having protein at each meal but 4 servings of a protein supplement per day, for me is excessive.

couple questions…

How many calories are you aiming for - if at all?
how many grams of protein?

probably a couple more questions too but ill come back to that…

I cant look at the word garlic bread without laughing.

Good stuff so far though.

To be honest I am not counting calories at the moment. And not counting protein either. I am being very basic, eat as much as I can, train hard and grow, and so far it’s working with a 37lb gain in about 15 weeks. When the gains stop, I’ll get more scientific, but the for time being, if it’s working carry on…

Yes I know garlic bread isn’t exactly a known anabolic food, but it is something I like to have, it kind of breaks the monotony (i think that how you spell it) of all the healthy food. Kind of helps me maintain some sanity in what I am doing.

I also have another trick up my sleeve. I have an interest in hypnosis and NLP, and I use these to aid my training efforts. Each night I put on my CD and fall asleep to hypnotic bodybuilding. I got it from hypno-success.com. Advanced Bodybuilding Now.

I’ll let the board know when the gains stop, and I’ll then have to change training and diet. For now I don’t even believe they will stop. I know it probably sounds silly, as one cannot grow forever. However, I believe that with this belief I am one step ahead of the bodybuilder who believes that stagnation is looming.

It’s working for me, and that’s what counts.

peter kay - Garlic bread?

Anyway - your bang on! - if the gains are still coming - keep going.

Still, id swap something up so your taking a majority of your supps post workout (whey, malto,dex, creatine etc)…

JMO

I think I will add an extra post workout drink of malto, dex, aakg, creatine, glutamine and whey to my regime. See how it goes

Your lifting some good numbers…i take it you were previously quite strong before your lay off?

Before my lay off, I would bench 140 for 6 to 8 reps. I was lazy on legs, and used to do 150 for 8. I never deadlifted in my previous encarnation. So with hindsight as weapon, I don’t intend making the same mistakes. So overall, I would say I that I am stronger now than I used to be.

Just need to get my bench up, which is the ultimate irony as it was a bet that got me back in the gym. I bet a couple of guys at work ?50 each that I would bench press 400lbs by Aug 2007.

[quote]B1GJ0E wrote:
Before my lay off, I would bench 140 for 6 to 8 reps. I was lazy on legs, and used to do 150 for 8. I never deadlifted in my previous encarnation. So with hindsight as weapon, I don’t intend making the same mistakes. So overall, I would say I that I am stronger now than I used to be.

Just need to get my bench up, which is the ultimate irony as it was a bet that got me back in the gym. I bet a couple of guys at work ?50 each that I would bench press 400lbs by Aug 2007.[/quote]

Good luck, 400 is a serious bench press. Where in England are you from? Im in Leeds…

Thanks! I did 150kg (330lbs) for 1 max last week, so with a good 3 months to go I am very confident I’ll do it. I have done it before 400lbs for 3 reps. A guy in the gym did 420lbs for 1 last week.

With all things being relative, 400lbs isnt a lot. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlRw0fcPn8

That is Gene Rychlak doing 1010lbs bench.

The thing that sticks out in my mind is that your eating too much pasta and not enough vegetables. Instead of bioling up pasta, steam some broccoli or cauliflower, open a can of green beans, etc.

When I say chicken pasta salad, or tuna pasta salad, the amount of pasta is actually very small, and the amount of greens high, lots of lettuce, spinach, rocket etc. Also, this is just a typical days food, I do actually eat broccoli, it is my favorite vegetable.

I also have to prepare my food and put in plastic tubs to eat at work, and cold vegetables aren’t as nice as salad vegetables.

Take your point tho, maybe I’ll substitute the garlic bread form some green veg.

[quote]B1GJ0E wrote:
, I do actually eat broccoli, it is my favorite vegetable.

.[/quote]

Broccoli, Steak, Milk and Squats…

The air is thick!

[quote]B1GJ0E wrote:
When I say chicken pasta salad, or tuna pasta salad, the amount of pasta is actually very small, and the amount of greens high, lots of lettuce, spinach, rocket etc. Also, this is just a typical days food, I do actually eat broccoli, it is my favorite vegetable.

I also have to prepare my food and put in plastic tubs to eat at work, and cold vegetables aren’t as nice as salad vegetables.

Take your point tho, maybe I’ll substitute the garlic bread form some green veg.[/quote]

I just see meat and pasta, so I think you’re filling up on it. If you have portion control down though, take it with a grain of salt.
I like to cook my veggies monday night and put them in containers too.

I’ve found that when I cook my broccoli, worchestershire sauce and fajita seasoning makes it amazing. Doesn’t help when its cold though, do you not have a microwave at work? I’m blessed enough to work a block from my house, so I just go home everyday for my 20 minute lunch hour.

I lol at garlic bread too.

Neway, I found your progress to be inspiring. Your gains in size are quite significant from the pictures but I am moreso Impressed with your strength gains they’ve gone through the roof seriously!!!

I think your diet is good, lol just do what you feel in the gym. That sounds lame but it’s working so no comment, just keep up the hard work!!!

Been about 4 weeks since my first post. Changed a few things, cut out the garlic bread. Added a few more veggies. Got a new training partner. Lost 2Kg in weight. Taking supps before and after training. Seem to be leaning up.

Not bad, from pencil neck to this in 4 and a half months. Mmmmm, wonder what I could do if I added some juice…

What do you think?

tupperware container. raw broccoli. ranch dressing. shake. open. eat. pretty good. after a few days, you actually look forward to it.

Been a while now since I put up new pics, It’s now been 8 months back after 4 year lay off. Currently weighing in @ 16st 7lbs (105kgs - 231lbs) 5’11" 180cms. (havn’t grown an inch height wise. LOL)

Cut out a lot of carbs in diet.

Anyway, here are some crappy webcam photos.

Let me know what you think of progress for 8 months training.

Another

And another