Back Acne?

[quote]chrismcl wrote:

And that whole Accutane and suicidal tendencies thing is bogus. [/quote]

Suicidal ideation is reported down in the less than 5% side effects area…somewhat more than the impotence side effect but less than the temporary thinning of hair side effect. Dry eyes (making contacts more difficult to wear) is a greater side effect. However, of all of these reported side effects, the one most likely of concern to a mother would be the suicidal ideation one…hence the mother’s refusal to allow her under-18 son to use Accutane. She read the Roche product insert…suicidal ideation is a listed “serious side effect”.

The probiotics worked very well for her son. His response to “do you think it is working?” was “Yes, it must be, girls are starting to hit on me now.”

Accutane does show dramatic improvement of otherwise intractable acne in 67% of people who use it. However, expect it to be much worse for about a month before it gets much better after about 6 months. If you’re female…sheesh, don’t bother as Roche won’t allow it to be prescribed without very invasive testing or proof of inability to get pregnant…it is a teratogene.

http://www.rochecanada.com/pdf/accutaneCIE.pdf
http://www.clearskin.net/acne/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=29&page=1

Interesting note relative to one poster’s comment about the helpful effect of Flameout with acne is that one increasingly supported mechanism of action by Accutane is inflammation reduction. Inflammation reduction is a significant effect of Flameout, too.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/00/backgrd/3639b1c_04.pdf
“Isotretinoin also has anti-inflammatory activity as well as an effect on the
pattern of follicular keratinization [Plewig et al., 1982].”

An unhealthy digestive system contributes to inflammation as well. An anti-inflammatory effect is probably the mechanism that probiotics has on significantly improving acne.

90% of protein powders on the market make my back break out…

Have seen a dermo but was not much help. He told me to stop using them. I was like…thanks doc! sheesh…

I have purchased over 30 different whey protein powders(with every flavor and brand imaginable) and only 2 brands dont make me break out in certain flavors…

needless to say I have about 5 cases of both those protein powders.

But I sure wish I knew what in these things makes me breakout…

[quote]Bic wrote:

Interesting note relative to one poster’s comment about the helpful effect of Flameout with acne is that one increasingly supported mechanism of action by Accutane is inflammation reduction. Inflammation reduction is a significant effect of Flameout, too.
[/quote]

Thats what I’m tryin to say man. Flameout is the shit!

I’ve used Accutane in the past, clearned up my back acne about 95%.

The side effects I got was mostly just dryness, but I’ve always had dry skin.

Nosebleeds came with more frequency due to said dryness, also.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

It’s just whiteheads, not a big deal. Every once in a while I will get a big red painful cyst, but that’s relatively rare.

Damn, my situation isn’t nearly as bad as some of the stuff you guys have mentioned. Makes me glad I posted it so everybody can kind of share their experiences with each other.

From the looks of it, there are a lot of causes/remedies. I’ll definitely look into Flameout (once it gets back in stock!). In the meantime I’ll just try some scrub.

Thanks all

That sounds very similar to what I get, right down to when it started. I cleaned up my diet and that seemed to help, then recently I picked up some salicylic acid cream and it’s worked wonders.