T Nation

B12 Questions

after talking with some people who supplement with injectable b12 im starting to get interested enough to give it a try. my question to people who have used it before are…

-what were you dosing at and how frequently (i cant seem to get a solid response for this one)

-the main benefits im looking for are increased energy, improved sleep, and mild appetite increase…did you see these effects?

-seems like most human-grade cobalamin needs to be ordered from canadian sites…anyone have issues with customs or shady product?

thanks for the info, im having an issue figuring out the search function here.

i have noticed a slight increase in energy/alertness with oral methylcobalamin. im not very knowledgable on the biological dynamics of mega-dosing b12 but why is it that so many people would talk it up the way they do if there are no real benefits? big time placebo?

[quote]MODOK wrote:
There is no need to inject B12 if you have a normal, acidic stomach pH and still produce intrinsic factor. Unless you are a middle-aged caucasian male, odds are very ikely you don’t fall into this category.

Take your B12 orally…seriously. The only reason the injection exists is for folks who can’t absorb B12 orally due to the factors I just mentioned.

unless you just like sticking yourself.[/quote]

I have no idea about this specifically, but just like some people find benefits megadosing vitamin C intravenously, is there benefits to high dosages of B12 intravenously (above and beyond simply preventing deficiency) that require dosages that for whatever reason are prohibited orally? Clearly for C you can end up wtih diarrhea etc; is there a similar side with B12? I’m not sure, just speculating.

If anyone has any info, that’d be cool (looking at you, MODOK :P)

Dan

google has the answer

true but its about 1000 different answers. i was just trying to get some kind of concensus.

Well have you been diagnosed with a deficiency?

Other than using Spike for workouts, I use B-12 sublingual and place one tab under my tongue and let it dissolve. I do this twice a day at 1000mcg each. Use the Methylcobalamin type. Why Methylcobalamin B-12? Methylcobalamin is the Bio-Available B-12.
Methylcobalamin B-12 is active immediately upon absorption, while cyanocobalamin must be converted to methylcobalamin by the body before it can be used. Methylcobalamin B-12 is the neurologically active form of B-12.
I don’t feel as tired as I used to before I started using this supplement. Plenty of energy now all day.
It’s cheap price is worth a try.

I forgot to say, I buy mine at Wonder labs on the web.
Great price and it works well for me.

Generally not worth the time and effort of injections.

I’ve tried seriously high doses of B12 injectable in two different forms:

Everyday injections with smaller doses with like a 29g (I prefered this method).
Every 3-4 days with a 23g in the glute.

Not worth it.