B12 - How Long On?

How long can you keep doing B12 shots? Indefinately?

Bump

Hi, Specster. Why are you taking Vitamin B12 shots? Are they prescribed by a doctor, or are you using them on your own for an energy boost?

B12 shots are prescribed for people who have pernicious anemia, a form of anemia (low red blood cell counts) that results when the bone marrow fails to produce adequate numbers of red blood cells due to a deficiency. It’s used by people who have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). It’s used by people who have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which is probably responsible for low intrinsic factor levels(the factor in the intestines that helps the body absorb and utilize B12). It’s used by people who have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and those who suffer from peripheral neuropathy (pins & needles). . . to name just a few conditions for which it has great value!

Specster, I think the point I’m trying to make is that it’s an extremely useful therapy. But when used in therapy, the patient’s blood levels of B12 are tested to make sure it falls within the optimal/acceptable range. High B12 levels are just as bad as a deficiency of B12. My understanding about the B vitamins is that your body needs a ratio of certain Bs to other Bs. There are times to pick one out of the lot and supplement individually, but I’m not terribly inclined to experiment with any one of the Bs individually.

The short answer to your question is that it depends on the reason for which you’re taking B12 shots and also what your serum blood levels are.

BBer’s often inject high doses of B 12 to stimulate hunger, usually on a cycle. I assume thats why he’s using it, for hunger. I haven’t heard of it being toxic at all, but i personally haven’t researched it much.

Thanks for the insight. You’re probably right. I’ll be interested to see what Specster’s reasons are for supplementing.

Hi Terry,

I am doing it because I had done it years ago and felt great when I did. I feel great taking it now although overeating may become a problem - (currently 11% BF).

My girlfrind is light and she is the real reason I got it - to put some weight on her. It makes her feel good too.