T Nation

B-ball and Strength

Hey guys I am on a strength training program as you all know and my lower body day is monday and thursday.

The problem is I have practice on monday and we just run like 2 full court pick up games. I workout around 2 pm and practice is at 7:30 pm. Would this in any way stop me from gaining strength recovery wise or anything?

(I try to keep basketball around 8 hours a week)

please anyone?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
Hey guys I am on a strength training program as you all know and my lower body day is monday and thursday.

The problem is I have practice on monday and we just run like 2 full court pick up games. I workout around 2 pm and practice is at 7:30 pm. Would this in any way stop me from gaining strength recovery wise or anything?
[/quote]

I believe (though I may be wrong) that Chad Waterbury recommends about 6 hours between 2-a-day workouts. You’re coming in quite a bit under that, since you said you train around 2pm. Figuring the workout’s even just 45 minutes, that’s only about 4 and a half hours between sessions.

Depending on how you’re enjoying the results of your program so far, you can either:

1 - Drop the Monday lifting completely. Use Monday as the “Sports practice day” and Thursday as the lifting day. I’m pretty certain this is exactly why Joe DeFranco only has one leg day in Westside for Skinny Bastards.

2 - Markedly reduce the volume of the Monday weight session. The volume, not the intensity. This should help to counteract the high volume running during the games.

3 - Keep things as-is, eat like a horse before, after, and during training, and hope for the best.

Let us know how it turns out.

Should i change my workout to monday upper body and then tuesday lower instead of what i had before

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
Should i change my workout to monday upper body and then tuesday lower instead of what i had before[/quote]

You could, but I don’t know exactly what your upper body and lower body workouts are, and what your overall training week looks like (I’m only getting snapshots of it so far.)

If it were me, I’d probably just drop the Monday lower body lifting and concentrate on the games that day, and then hit the legs solid on Thursday. Restructuring the entire workout week probably isn’t necessary.

But like I said in my first reply, it depends on the results you’ve gotten so far. If it’s been beneficial as-is, I’d change as little as possible. If you’ve been stagnant, I’d mix it up more.

Well I started off doing 135 pounds at 5x5 and its my 3rd week and i did 160 box squat at 160 pounds so i guess im progressing well? what do u think? as long as im increasing weight every week thats all that matters right?

Monday

Squat 5x5 (add weight every week)
DB split squat 3x6-8
Leg Curl, Romanian deadlift, or glute ham 4x6-8

-Ab Work

Rotation
-decline bench twists 4x20
-Russian Twists on Ball 4 x 15

Tuesday

Bench press 5x5
Bent Over Row 5x5
Military Press 3x8
Beach Work

Ab Work

Stabilization/Compression
-Pillar Bridges 4 x 45 seconds
-Quadruped Navel Draws 4 x 10 (with 5 second holds)

Wednesday

rest, stretch, light bball

Thursday

Deadlift 4x5 (add weight every week)
Lunges 3x8
Leg Curls 4x8-10

-Ab work

Lateral Flexion
-Lateral Flexion off roman chair 4x12 each
-Side Bends 4 x 8 each

Friday

DB Bench 3x8-10
Seated Rows 3x10
Pull ups 3xfailure
Seated Shoulder Press 4x8

-Ab work

Linear
-Decline Bench Reverse Crunches/hanging leg raises, 4 x 15
-Standing/seated Cable Crunches, 4 x 12

Saturday

light bball

Sunday

off, stretch

why are you doing chest twice a week?

How is that chest twice a week?

I’m doing a full upper body workout twice a week not only chest…?

do u guys think its ok to go play like an hour of ball today…some full court pickup games on a court thats not even full length, its shorter so we just dunk n crap. i played ball monday for like an hour and then wednesday for like 40 minutes and thats it. and today is friday and im thinkin about going. my legs feel good there not that sore from yesterdays deadlift workout what u guys think?

1.I would suggest dropping your monday led day entirely and bundle the squats and ghr with the second leg day. PLay around with the specific excersizes that are good and keep the volume right.

2.Put your deads on your “back” day

1. I like to place atleast 3 days between squats and deads becasue of the crossover so play around with your routine schedule.

4.Play ball to your hearts content(im a baller too) but at the cost of recovery time. Im sure youve heard before: muscle/strength does not grow in the gym. In fact it decreases.

Now go break some ankles.