T Nation

B-12 Injections = Increased Hunger?

I have been told before that some athletes will use B-12 injections as a means of increasing their ability to eat more and therefore add bodyweight. Has anyone used B-12 injections? If so what were the effects on both energy and appetite?

Never used them I know of someone who did. He never commented on any lack of energy (I would assume he had more energy as his body was getting more fuel) and yes his appetite rose to freightening levels. He was a pretty thin dude but could almost eat however much he wanted. I’d imagine his body wasn’t utilizing all the nutrients it was getting though, because I just think he ate too much, too fast for his body to keep up. That being said, he put on weight a lot faster than he did previously.

can’t you just eat B12? why inject it?

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
can’t you just eat B12? why inject it?[/quote]

I think the injection would be more potent. And I have never heard of oral B-12 causing an increase in hunger.

Great, now you tell me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve used both. I think you need to be deficient to feel the difference, but I could be wrong. I wasn’t deficient when I had the shots though, and yes, I had an enormous appetite afterwards. That was not what I was looking for, and I was no longer able to exercise, so it didn’t help in that respect either.

After the pills, my workouts improved by 50% to 75%. Previously, I couldn’t breathe well, had fevers from allergic reactions(though not allergic to anything), and had severe chest pains. The only problem is symptoms that accompany the pills. No one explained to me what was happening. Maybe it was just that brand. I don’t know.

b-12 increses your bodys production of erythrocytes, which in turn makes it a hemodulator as well as aiding in glucose distribution,

in short, it makes everything get to your muscles faster, particulairly energy,
many athletes use it before games or races,
or before training sessions, to get more out of the workout.

belive me, this stuff is great, even in pill form its like drinking 8 cans of redbull without the gitters or the crash, you feel so amazing. like you could work out for 8 hours. it will increses your carb intake a fair bit, but you’ll be burning more energy, alot more energy, so you wont gain any weight, if your looking to increse carb intake and are having a hard time doing it, get on a good weight gainer, some of those fuckers pack in 6000 cal a shake

I never noticed any difference.

Wow, I mean I take b12 sometimes and it just makes my pee look like Mt Dew. It gives me a bit of energy like its suppose to but nothing like either of you describe.

I just got my vial of B-12. I am going to try it both pre workout to increase energy and post workout to increase hunger. What dosage should I start with both pre and post workout. I will probably go up slowly to see how it effects me but I am unsure of a starting point. I currently weight about 245 and consume around 5500-6000 kcal a day.

Oral ingestion of B-12 yields only a small amount of usable B-12.

That’s why you would inject it.

I’ve injected B-12 on and off for about a year and a half, I’ve used huge doses once a week and smaller doses throughout the week.

Not worth the pain in the ass (literally), in my opinion.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Oral ingestion of B-12 yields only a small amount of usable B-12.

That’s why you would inject it.

I’ve injected B-12 on and off for about a year and a half, I’ve used huge doses once a week and smaller doses throughout the week.

Not worth the pain in the ass (literally), in my opinion.
[/quote]

Did you inject it IM or subQ? What were your huge and smaller doses?

[quote]2thepain wrote:

Did you inject it IM or subQ? What were your huge and smaller doses?[/quote]

5mg Once a week (not huge per se but a large single dose) vs. 3-4 throughout the week.

I used both IM and SubQ based on the location of the shot, I varied them.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
2thepain wrote:

Did you inject it IM or subQ? What were your huge and smaller doses?

5mg Once a week (not huge per se but a large single dose) vs. 3-4 throughout the week.

I used both IM and SubQ based on the location of the shot, I varied them. [/quote]

Did you notice any difference in effect between IM and SubQ injections. My guess is that the IM would be a stronger/faster reaction due to the increased blood flow. My original plan was to inject SubQ with insulin needles but I have no problem doing either.

Ghost- What was your B-12 dosed at? Mine is 1000mg per ml. If I were to only shoot 5mg I would be using such a tiny amount that I wouldn’t be able to read it on an insulin pin. Is it possible to OD on B-12?

This may not be of any interest as this post went untouched by many but I thought I would update it.

I shot 250mg of b-12 this morning subq. In about an hour I was hungry but nothing crazy. I am just now (about 2.5-3 hours later) experiencing an increase in energy. I will probably increase the dose by 50mg/day and make note of the changing effects.

This is interesting, please report back any effects you experience.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
This is interesting, please report back any effects you experience.[/quote]

O.K. so at least someone is interested in this besides for me. I will report back after each dose increase until I find a good dose for myself. I would encourage anyone using B-12 injections for the first time to do the same as not everyone will react the same. Tomorrow morning I will injecting 300mg subQ.

When I use 1000mg a day my face turns red. Food for thought.

[quote]dean12345 wrote:
When I use 1000mg a day my face turns red. Food for thought.[/quote]

Is that all that happens? Any positive effects?

I dont notice too much as far as hunger goes, the biggest advantage is increased energy during my workouts. I dont notice too much more energy throughout the day, but when I get going in the gym I get less fatigued when I am doing B-12 injects. Nothing outstanding but definitely noticeable. I also should note that I dont feel ANY effects from oral B-12.