AZ Bans Ethnic Studies from Schools

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100430/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1885

If you thought the new immigration law was rough, this new law forbids any curriculum that promotes “the overthrow of the United States government” or “resentment toward a race or class of people.” It also disallows any curriculum that’s “designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group” or that seeks to “advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.”

Just wow. [/quote]

I want to know what that means though, because that’s a bunch of lawyerly bullshit speak.

Does this means that pieces of the curriculum will be removed? Which ones?

Does studying the Holocaust promote resentment towards a race? Does studying the McCarthy years suggest resentment towards communists?

Why don’t we just give up teaching history altogether?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
It makes sense to have teachers who teach English, especially to new English students, be fluent in English.

Would a school system not want to fire or reassign math teachers who couldn’t add, subtract, multiply and divide well?

Would a school system not want to fire or reassign geography teachers who couldn’t use and/or teach how to use a map or globe?[/quote]

I agree. I had too many spanish teachers in high school that could barely speak English. That’s ridiculous… they should actually speak the language they must teach and communicate in.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

If you thought the new immigration law was rough, this new law forbids any curriculum that promotes “the overthrow of the United States government” or “resentment toward a race or class of people.” It also disallows any curriculum that’s “designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group” or that seeks to “advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.”

Also, the Arizona Department of Education has begun telling principals to remove teachers who speak English with an accent from classes with students who are still learning English.

Just wow. [/quote]

Being right next to the danger zone (Mexico) has apparently increased the wisdom of the people of the Great State of Arizona. It may soon replace Texas as my favorite state.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Public schools are so bad, you are better off home schooling your kid. [/quote]

Public schools are unConstitutional, in the extreme, as is most of what our Federal gov’t does. The Department of Education, for ex, is about as Constitutional as my ass.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Just wow. [/quote]

I want to know what that means though, because that’s a bunch of lawyerly bullshit speak.

Does this means that pieces of the curriculum will be removed? Which ones?

Does studying the Holocaust promote resentment towards a race? Does studying the McCarthy years suggest resentment towards communists?

Why don’t we just give up teaching history altogether? [/quote]

Irish,

You are probably not aware of this since you are in Jersey, but there are a shit ton of people who think that certain states still belong to Mexico, and it has caused a national movement towards the Reconquista of those states. There are many Hispanics that are not fond of the Southwest territory being a part of the US, with claims that it was stolen from Mexico. Some people believe there is a conspiracy to retake the land, and more back to Mexico, with all European invaders declared as enemy occupants.

Look carefully at this map, as it could very well be what happens before the this century is over.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Public schools are unConstitutional, in the extreme, as is most of what our Federal gov’t does. The Department of Education, for ex, is about as Constitutional as my ass.[/quote]

What article section or amendment is that in?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Public schools are unConstitutional, in the extreme, as is most of what our Federal gov’t does. The Department of Education, for ex, is about as Constitutional as my ass.[/quote]

What article section or amendment is that in?[/quote]

Exactly

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

You don’t understand the Constitution. The Constitution says EXACTLY what the Federal government is allowed to do. Exactly. Then lawyers got a hold of it and we discovered, lo and behold, that the Constitution is made of rubber!

The proper question should be: Where in the Constitution does it say that the Federal government is responsible for education? Exactly where?

I’ll search it again. Remember, it says exactly what the Federal government is allowed to do. Exactly that and nothing else. Everything else is the purview of the states.

You should wish me luck.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

To be fair, however, we don’t have federal public schools. We do have state and local schools that are federally subsidized.[/quote]

I was going to say that.

The Federal government has gotten around the “it’s not constitutional” bit by just threatening to withold aid to anyone who disagrees with them, kind of like how they did with the alcohol limit a few years back.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Irish,

You are probably not aware of this since you are in Jersey, but there are a shit ton of people who think that certain states still belong to Mexico, and it has caused a national movement towards the Reconquista of those states. There are many Hispanics that are not fond of the Southwest territory being a part of the US, with claims that it was stolen from Mexico. Some people believe there is a conspiracy to retake the land, and more back to Mexico, with all European invaders declared as enemy occupants.

Look carefully at this map, as it could very well be what happens before the this century is over. [/quote]

Well, in all fairness it was stolen. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t ours now.

And I’m not sure whether you mean this post in jest?

I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you, Ryan, and Federalist are the 3 stooges of this forum.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you, Ryan, and Federalist are the 3 stooges of this forum. [/quote]

Because… ?

You’re a bizarre guy.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

You don’t understand the Constitution. The Constitution says EXACTLY what the Federal government is allowed to do. Exactly. Then lawyers got a hold of it and we discovered, lo and behold, that the Constitution is made of rubber!

The proper question should be: Where in the Constitution does it say that the Federal government is responsible for education? Exactly where?

I’ll search it again. Remember, it says exactly what the Federal government is allowed to do. Exactly that and nothing else. Everything else is the purview of the states.

You should wish me luck.
[/quote]

so the fact that it is not mentioned means that it is unconstitutional ?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

You should wish me luck.
[/quote]

so the fact that it is not mentioned means that it is unconstitutional ?[/quote]

Exactly. Unless it is in the Constitution, the Federal government is not allowed to have anything to do with it – education, Social Security, Medicare, all of it. Wisely, the Founders knew that such stuff could bankrupt us, leading to collapse and a dictatorship…uh, oh!

This whole idea of what the Fed and states can do is much more blurred now than at any other time. Massachusetts has universal health care, California has a statewide global varming law, Arizona is doing the immigration thing, I don’t know why we need to assume that such beliefs are stuck in concrete.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/05/05/20100505arizona-school-district-owes-state-money.html

Pitt, you guys has some kick ass politicians and officials, AZ is looking better and better by the moment.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Pitt, you guys has some kick ass politicians and officials, AZ is looking better and better by the moment. [/quote]

I’ll bet this has been going on 50 years