T Nation

Awful Pain Caused by Deadlifting

I just started weight training and today was my second deadlift session, and i know i could have easily done 5x3 100kg with good form however, just like in my last session my damn hands were huting so badly after the second set becuase of the rough, diamond-grip bar that i could no longer hold on to it.

Now im not a wuss and am not too fussed about the calluses, i’m just annoyed because i feel that the pain is really holding me back when i do deadlifts and heavy rows.

Does anyone else have this problem, if so how do you deal with it?
Would wrapping a towel around the bar or buying gloves help?

Some newer bars have very deep ‘grips’ and they can hurt.

I’m gonna say that you need to think about your goals here (meaning, are you trying to be a powerlifter, a bodybuilder, exercising, or something else?)

There’s no rules that say you can’t wear gloves when you’re lifting. I’d think if your hands are hurting but not fatiguing, then it’s obviously the grip.

If your forearm or grip is fatiguing, and you know your target muscles are still underworked, then get some wraps or hooks or something.

Biggest thing I can say is that if it’s a worry about ‘people thinking you’re a wuss’ then that’s the first thing you need to check - your ego at the door.

I’m saying that outta brotherly love here, man…I was a 300lb bench/420lb squat guy in HS…and when I got back to lifting 7 years later, I had to swallow that pride and get under a bar with 95lb on it…do what you need to do to get the gains you want, that’s the name of the game.

Describe the pain. Does it tingle or feel numb, or is it just the knurling of the bar against the ever-so-soft skin of your hands? If the former, it may be nerve damage. If the latter, then you can get a pair of straps for grip. Gloves may also help.

I personally don’t use them, the pain reminds me of the sacrifices and dues paid by those who outlift me. Good source of anger/motivation.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Describe the pain. Does it tingle or feel numb, or is it just the knurling of the bar against the ever-so-soft skin of your hands? If the former, it may be nerve damage. If the latter, then you can get a pair of straps for grip. Gloves may also help.

I personally don’t use them, the pain reminds me of the sacrifices and dues paid by those who outlift me. Good source of anger/motivation.[/quote]

lol…so either he’s got silky soft girl hands or NERVE DAMAGE? Wow, that’s a heckuva swing of the pendulum of possible causes!

If hands hurting are what is causing you to limit the amount of weight and reps you use for an exercise, and you’re not competing in said exercise, that’s what wraps and gloves are for.

The guy said he’s ‘new’ so automatically pulling out the ‘don’t be a sissy boy’ at a point like this, when he should be concerned about form (without sacrificing it because he’s preoccupied with hurting hands) isn’t really that helpful.

Those extra sharp sadistic bars are horrible for deads, I’m surprised you didn’t tear your shins up.

Just search around for a smoother bar off the bench, seated military press, etc.

Your new, stick at the same weight for a couple weeks and the pain should reside as you get used to it. Kinda like soarness after workouts.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

I personally don’t use them, the pain reminds me of the sacrifices and dues paid by those who outlift me. Good source of anger/motivation.[/quote]

Well there is no pain after training except for the usual muscle soreness and it produces calluses so im assuming that the pain is due to the repeated pressure from lifting the rough bar.

Im going to look into buying some gloves. However i have just one question; would wearing gloves reduce grip strength? im not training to become a lifter, im a judoka, so grip strength is quite important.

Grip strength - if that’s a concern - should be trained independently as well. If it’s lacking, then you need to augment your training to get more strength that way.

Gloves reduce calluses and improve your ‘grip’…I can’t imagine they take much away from your grip strength, per-se.

Wraps and hooks, however, are another story.

“lol…so either he’s got silky soft girl hands or NERVE DAMAGE? Wow, that’s a heckuva swing of the pendulum of possible causes!”

Actually no. Apparently my little poke at humor was taken to the extreme. I was not belittling him.

A compressed ulnar nerve is not uncommon among lifters, nor is it difficult to treat. I stand justified in my suggestion, even though the OP admits that is not the case.

Agreed that grip strength should be trained separately to some extent. There are good hand exercises (especially for individual finger coordination) which are excellent for musicians. They will not give you raw grip strength for lifting or fighting, unless you get the super-heavy gauge ones.