T Nation

Awesome New Bench!

Thank you for instantly stereotyping everyone who didnt buy into your suspicious plugging of a ridiculous piece of “functional” training equipment as “meatheads”.

By the way, whats your problem with bodybuilders? Isnt this a bodybuilding website? Since when did being a bodybuilder become a negative thing here?

If youre interested in “functional strength” and not bodybuilding, there are other parts of this forum you could have posted your little advertisement on.

You seem pretty high on yourself, what are your credentials? Who have you trained? Impress us.

[quote]uvat94 wrote:
nikolo wrote:
swissrugby67 wrote:
That’s not so much a “bench” as it is a sex toy.

this IS what i’m talking about…

lol

Cutler looks like a chemically enhanced Chris Farley.

Oh yeah, this “fucntional” bench costs 500 bucks. I think I will start selling Olympic bars with a lil loop for bands, call thme the first “functional” bar and sell them for 250 bucks a pop. What a crock.

How can you say it’s a crock unless you have actually tried it? You can spend 500 bucks ina weekend partying or spend it on a lifetime of health and fitness. Don’t be so close minded[/quote]

Or I can spend $500 over at Elite, oh yeah, I already did. Mind open but not my wallet for crockery.

[quote]uvat94 wrote:

How can you say it’s a crock unless you have actually tried it? You can spend 500 bucks ina weekend partying or spend it on a lifetime of health and fitness. Don’t be so close minded[/quote]

You could also spend 500 bucks on:

1 years gym dues
100 lbs of protein powder
20 bottles of Flameout
Power rack and weights at auction
New Tires
Food for a month

So this bench is guaranteed to give me a lifetime of health and fitness?

You sure youre not getting paid to represent this thing? Sure sounds like it.

[quote]uvat94 wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Have fun ever trying an actual barbell bench press on that thing.

I have benched with it. You have to do it in a squat rack. I also suggest you use a spotter.[/quote]

Does the squat rack come with it?

No?

Oh… I see.

you must do some wild shit

I’m surprised that this one actually came back to defend his product.

Yeah…I think he may be done now.

[quote]nikolo wrote:
uvat94 wrote:
nikolo wrote:
swissrugby67 wrote:
That’s not so much a “bench” as it is a sex toy.

this IS what i’m talking about…

lol

Cutler looks like a chemically enhanced Chris Farley.

Oh yeah, this “fucntional” bench costs 500 bucks. I think I will start selling Olympic bars with a lil loop for bands, call thme the first “functional” bar and sell them for 250 bucks a pop. What a crock.

How can you say it’s a crock unless you have actually tried it? You can spend 500 bucks ina weekend partying or spend it on a lifetime of health and fitness. Don’t be so close minded

Or I can spend $500 over at Elite, oh yeah, I already did. Mind open but not my wallet for crockery.
[/quote]

I don’t think people quite got my sarcasm.

hmmm. obviously no other british folk around.

lol.

[quote]uvat94 wrote:
I actually box squat my athletes during certain phases of the season. [/quote]

Do you start with the skinny ones and then squat the fatter ones as you get stronger?

I squatted my older brother at a cookout once. Very functional.

[quote]derek wrote:
uvat94 wrote:
I actually box squat my athletes during certain phases of the season.

Do you start with the skinny ones and then squat the fatter ones as you get stronger?

I squatted my older brother at a cookout once. Very functional.

[/quote]

LOL, using his athletes makes the exercise unbalanced, and therefor more functional.

Once you become advanced, you can have the athlete kick his legs and jerk his head to make it more difficult.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
Thank you for instantly stereotyping everyone who didnt buy into your suspicious plugging of a ridiculous piece of “functional” training equipment as “meatheads”.

By the way, whats your problem with bodybuilders? Isnt this a bodybuilding website? Since when did being a bodybuilder become a negative thing here?

If youre interested in “functional strength” and not bodybuilding, there are other parts of this forum you could have posted your little advertisement on.

You seem pretty high on yourself, what are your credentials? Who have you trained? Impress us.[/quote]

I actually do not have a problem with bodybuilders or anybody who trains because it promotes a healthy life style. I do have a problem with narrow minded people who think they know everything because they belong to a gym, read an article or have a bunch of certifications. Nobody knows everything and we all can continue to learn.

I also am not getting anything for talking about this bench.

I just figured some people might be interested in it. But some of the responses have been quite amusing.

I have been a strength and conditioning coach in at the Division I level for over 8 years and we used to talk about this exact thing that is going on since I posted this article. Part of the problem with our industry is that alot of people think they know everything and do not respect other people’s point of view. We have an ego driven industry which is not healthy when it comes to discussing topics or exchanging ideas.

I have worked with athletes at all levels. This piece of equipment is very unique now that I am in the private sector. Just wanted to share the wealth.

I also do not think it is important or relevent for me to list all the athletes I have worked with over the years or people who are well known in the field. In my opinion who cares. If I name drop does that give me intant credibility?

I think using the term “meathead” and also your first post sounds more like an advertisement. It’d be better if you didn’t mention price and you instead did a : user driven “REVIEW” also with not many posts it gives you the aura of, JUST REGISTERED TO ADVERTISE -> Product, which occurs quite often on this site.

Just a non-biased observation.

Every time I re-read it still looks like an advertisement.

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
4 easy payments of ONLY $39.99.
If you call in the next 20 minutes
only 3 payments of $39,99 !!!

Ron Popeil[/quote]

"I would like to have a product that was available for three easy payments, and one fucking complicated payment.

‘We can’t tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is gonna be a bitch! The envelope will not seal, the mailman will get shot to death, and the stamp will be in the wrong denomination. Good luck, fucker!’

If you’ve been around this site for a while, you’d realize there are a lot of open-minded people (surprisingly so compared to so many other sites).

I think the biggest problem people had is the fact that it was your very first post, recommending something that, to me, looks very gimmicky, and doesn’t look like it does anything you can’t do with a regular, much cheaper adjustable bench and a little creativity.

Would you be open-minded to, and give a chance to the latest ab-rocker you see on an infomercial?

Just because people aren’t buying into a gimmicky product you happen to like, doesn’t mean they’re being close-minded.

You also seem to be trying to down play the quality of some of the articles people are learning from here, as if it’s just some article on the internet with no significance. Many people here read the articles objectively, and take into consideration the person who’s writing it.

What does that bench do that I can’t do with an adjustable bench, or that I can’t do at a gym?

What the fuck? The thing is just an adjustable stool…

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
What the fuck? The thing is just an adjustable stool…[/quote]

Which could actually be useful for some stuff, but not for 500 bucks.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
What the fuck? The thing is just an adjustable stool…[/quote]

Exactly. The photos of the exercises done with the adjustable stool are a joke as well, in a “WTF!-I-can-do-that-with-a-regular-adjustable-
bench-that-costs-much-less” kind of way.

[quote]uvat94 wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:
Thank you for instantly stereotyping everyone who didnt buy into your suspicious plugging of a ridiculous piece of “functional” training equipment as “meatheads”.

By the way, whats your problem with bodybuilders? Isnt this a bodybuilding website? Since when did being a bodybuilder become a negative thing here?

If youre interested in “functional strength” and not bodybuilding, there are other parts of this forum you could have posted your little advertisement on.

You seem pretty high on yourself, what are your credentials? Who have you trained? Impress us.

I actually do not have a problem with bodybuilders or anybody who trains because it promotes a healthy life style. I do have a problem with narrow minded people who think they know everything because they belong to a gym, read an article or have a bunch of certifications. Nobody knows everything and we all can continue to learn.

I also am not getting anything for talking about this bench.

I just figured some people might be interested in it. But some of the responses have been quite amusing.

I have been a strength and conditioning coach in at the Division I level for over 8 years and we used to talk about this exact thing that is going on since I posted this article. Part of the problem with our industry is that alot of people think they know everything and do not respect other people’s point of view. We have an ego driven industry which is not healthy when it comes to discussing topics or exchanging ideas.

I have worked with athletes at all levels. This piece of equipment is very unique now that I am in the private sector. Just wanted to share the wealth.

I also do not think it is important or relevent for me to list all the athletes I have worked with over the years or people who are well known in the field. In my opinion who cares. If I name drop does that give me intant credibility?

[/quote]

Another problem with this industry is also the number of people who attempt to push marginally beneficial, overpriced products onto the unknowing consumer. Remember NO supplements? BOSU Balls? Creatine Ethel Ester? Those were all “the nest big thing” for a while, and where are they now?

Your initial post came off very much like the advertisements for those products and reeked of marketing rep.

Your use of the term “meathead” was also a little offish, that is exactly the type of image that most of the guys (and girls) here are trying to put down about those involved in the Iron Sports.

I agree with the other posters that, while the product does seem interesting, the experimentation is not worth the price tag.

I feel there has been a misunderstanding here.

But I still dont agree with you about the box squats.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
If you’ve been around this site for a while, you’d realize there are a lot of open-minded people (surprisingly so compared to so many other sites).

I think the biggest problem people had is the fact that it was your very first post, recommending something that, to me, looks very gimmicky, and doesn’t look like it does anything you can’t do with a regular, much cheaper adjustable bench and a little creativity.

Would you be open-minded to, and give a chance to the latest ab-rocker you see on an infomercial?

Just because people aren’t buying into a gimmicky product you happen to like, doesn’t mean they’re being close-minded.

You also seem to be trying to down play the quality of some of the articles people are learning from here, as if it’s just some article on the internet with no significance. Many people here read the articles objectively, and take into consideration the person who’s writing it.

What does that bench do that I can’t do with an adjustable bench, or that I can’t do at a gym?[/quote]

I think you have the misconception that I do not think this is a good forum. I agree with you tha there are some very intelligent dialect that goes on here. But there is that 5% who have nothing positive to say and in fact in my opinion reinforce many negative stereotypes due to them being so closed minded.

The bench is actually not gimmicky and if you have ever purchased commercial fitness equipment it is not expensive for a bench. Really good adjustable benches can cost you close to $600.00 and up because the damn steel prices keep going up.

Blame China for that but that is another conversation. Although this is my first post I have read T-Nation for many years and personally know many of the contributing writers. Because like me they are or were strength and conditioning coaches before they went on their own. So in that regard your are misrepresenting me.

The bench is definately not a gimmick. The people I know in the field who have seen like it. It’s a different design. And it’s about time someone gave the bench a face lift. It hasn’t changes in who knows how long.

You are able to maintain postural integrity on every exercise you perform unlike a traditional bench. I am looking at it from teh standpoint of a strength coach. So recruiting the right muscles for a given exercise is very important.

In my opinion this is better than a traditional bench for most exercises. Now if you are going to press with heavy dumbells and you want more support then I would use a traditional bench.

You can perform High Box Step-ups which you can’t do on a traditional bench. Also when you press with it. Your hips are off so you get core stabilization. You also work your glutes and hammies. It’s also great to do all your back work on because there is no bar in the way.

I see you are a power lifter. My friend owns a gym and he uses it for Box Squats.

I could go on and on. But I am not here to sell the bench. I just really like it and thought I would share this information with fitness devotees.

The few ignorant comments are water under the bridge to me. If anyone wants to have an intelligent conversation then I am willing to listen. The other stuff I do not feed into.