T Nation

Awesome, My First Workout

Hey all, rigged up my work bench today, just done my first workout ever, shit I feel good, my legs and arms were twitching abit after the workout, but what a good feeling. Im not to sure if i started off to heavy but I did workout A below, with the weight of 20kgs (44 pounds) for each exercise.

Is this to heavy to start with, should I maybe drop the weights a bit for the first 2 weeks or so. And the (workout A) below only took like a few minutes to do. Is it normal for workouts to be so short. After that I did a bit of cardio. Please advise.

Would it be wise to add Barbell curls for biceps 3x5 and Barbell reverse curls for the forearms to (workout B) or would that be too much for an absolute beginner.

Please be sure to judge my workout below, this is the rippetoes workout programme for beginner, but please feel free to add your knowledge and information.

For the actual workouts read below:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2 x 8 lever lying flies

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Bent Rows

Thanks

im not too familiar w/ rippetoes prog. for beginners, but with avg. rest periods i would think that workout would take at least 30 mins.

and, you shoud not use the same weight for all lifts, nor should you use such a light weight for MOST of those lifts. 3x5’s you should struggle for that last rep each time…

[quote]kobb wrote:
Im not to sure if i started off to heavy but I did workout A below, with the weight of 20kgs (44 pounds) for each exercise.

Is this to heavy to start with, should I maybe drop the weights a bit for the first 2 weeks or so. [/quote]
If you hit all your reps without losing form, it’s not to heavy. Add 5 lbs to everything and keep going.

Starting out, it shouldn’t take very long. Assuming you keep adding weight to the bar, you’ll eventually have to take longer rests, which will add to your time, probably about 45 minutes.

You can, it won’t kill you.

Isn’t this like the 3rd or 4th thread where you’ve asked this question? Look, Starting Strength is a good, time tested routine which has worked well for a lot of people. There may be better ways to go about things, but by and large it shouldn’t make much difference for absolute beginners. That said, why are you doing flies?

[quote]dakotah_13 wrote:
and, you shoud not use the same weight for all lifts, nor should you use such a light weight for MOST of those lifts. 3x5’s you should struggle for that last rep each time…[/quote]

Not for a pure beginner. Someone who has never squatted, benched, etc, needs to spend some time with a light weight learning technique. I’ve started really small guys out with 18lb body bars on the squat if they’re really having issues. 8 to 10 weeks later, they’re normally getting up close to 120lbs with good form, which in my opinion is better progress then hitting 160 with poor form. The way the program is structured, the numbers will balance themselves out shortly.

Ok, cool. As Ninjaboy quotes, use a lighter weight for squats, as i do admit the 44 pounds for squats killed me, it was the hardest as my legs felt like giving in, so I reckon I will decrease the weight in that. And true, maybe I should perfect my form first.

As for the flies, doing this for the chest, just an extra exercise, is it not really worth it?

[quote]kobb wrote:
Ok, cool. As Ninjaboy quotes, use a lighter weight for squats, as i do admit the 44 pounds for squats killed me, it was the hardest as my legs felt like giving in, so I reckon I will decrease the weight in that. And true, maybe I should perfect my form first.
[/quote]
Squats are hard. However, if you moved the weight with good form, don’t decrease the weight! Add 5 lbs next time. The guys who I’ve had use the body bar could not move 45lbs, and generally weighed in at 135-140lbs dripping wet. However, after their first workout, I moved them to a heavier bar. Normally they’re squatting with the bar within about a week, and adding 5 lbs each session to that with no problem.

If you’re benching 45 lbs, how much weight can you really be expected to use on an isolation exercise, and do you really think you’ll be able to provide much work for your chest with that little load? You’d be better served with dips.

[quote]kobb wrote:
Hey all, rigged up my work bench today, just done my first workout ever, shit I feel good, my legs and arms were twitching abit after the workout, but what a good feeling. Im not to sure if i started off to heavy but I did workout A below, with the weight of 20kgs (44 pounds) for each exercise.

Is this to heavy to start with, should I maybe drop the weights a bit for the first 2 weeks or so. And the (workout A) below only took like a few minutes to do. Is it normal for workouts to be so short. After that I did a bit of cardio. Please advise.

Would it be wise to add Barbell curls for biceps 3x5 and Barbell reverse curls for the forearms to (workout B) or would that be too much for an absolute beginner.

Please be sure to judge my workout below, this is the rippetoes workout programme for beginner, but please feel free to add your knowledge and information.

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2 x 8 lever lying flies

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bent Rows

Thanks[/quote]

I did rippetoes in the beginning, so I can give some insight. I started light at first and worked myself up. I look back now and I realize I don’t think I was eating enough to support the amount of energy I was expediting daily (with a labor intensive job and all). Cause full body workouts can be real draining if you do them wrong/don’t eat enough. So remember this.

I’m not saying to pussy foot around. First 2 sets should be a good effort challenging yet not compromising form. Last sets should be balls to wall and should have you barely getting the last rep yet with proper form. Soon as it breaks adjust weight and get at it. I regret not hitting my arms and forearms more in the start also. So don’t make this mistake. Mix it up heavy barbell curls one workout, lighter 6-15 reps another workout. Forearms respond better to higher reps.

I believe do this until you stall/plateau, bump it upto a 4 day upper/lower split like westside. Then later you can bump it up to 5-6 day split. Yet you still have a long way to go!

You mean you’ve made all those posts before you even started working out?

If you overthink things too hard, especially as a beginner you can lose alot of early gain.

So did you use 20kg on the bar or just the bar itself? You don’t want to go heavy until you know you have really good form. Form is always more important then weight. Since this was your 1st workout, using next to no weight was a good thing.

And dropping weight is stupid. Squats are one of the hardest exercises out there. If your attitude is to drop the weight if it gets hard then your in the wrong sport.

And like ninjaboy said, your probably so weak right now that isolation exercises will be hardly worth your time.

Rippetoe has over 30 years experience. If he really thought it was necessary to add all those exercises into a pure beginner program, then he probably would have.

I used 20kg on the bar, the bar itself probably only weighs maybe max 5kgs i think. Reason I made all those poss prior workout was due to the fact that I knew jack shit about weight training. Ive always surfed and done water sports only, no gyming what so ever.

But googleing the internet for beginner workouts, was a big mistake as everyone has their own beginner programme and i didnt know which to choose from as there were so many, thats why i joined some forums, to hopefully get the best info i need and to help me understand the basics. But I think im getting there.

All I can say is that I totally enjoyed my workout last night, im feeling a bit of pain in some places, but thats a good thing. Im just pissed that I have to wait until tomorrow to workout again, 1 day on and 1 day off(rest).

Just my $.02 but as far as the weight lift as much as you can weather your a noobie or fricken Ronnie Coleman.

Isn’t that what you lift for?

[quote]kobb wrote:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2 x 8 lever lying flies

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bent Rows

Thanks[/quote]

Love the avi pic.

[quote]1porsche wrote:
Just my $.02 but as far as the weight lift as much as you can weather your a noobie or fricken Ronnie Coleman.

Isn’t that what you lift for?[/quote]

Not if you’re a raw beginner. You need to lift as much as you can WITH PROPER FORM, and for beginners this often means using slightly lighter weights while they learn the movements. Also, if you attack a linear progression program like Starting Strength and you push yourself to the absolute limit on your first session, you are much more likely to stall out then if you pick a weight where you have maybe 1 more rep left in the tank at the end of a set. Having a little bit of room to ramp up can be very helpful.