T Nation

Avoiding Veins When Pinning

So I noticed this thing about my body when I pin. I use 25g 1inch whenever I start pushing the needle in and I get heavy resistance initially(and pain) I push through regardless and inject. Then I pull out and almost always a trail of blood comes out after the needle.

Now the times when I pin and I get little to no resistance and barely any pain pushing through I get little to no blood come out. This has me thinking that the areas that are harder to push in have veins right there near the surface of the skin therefore its harder to push in?

Or am I just dumb and this will happen numerous times throughout my cycling life? Regardless of what I try to do?

It happens, I hit veins from time to time

I hit one last injection, now I have an 3/4’’ bruise on my left thigh. No biggie.

I’m not sure that the initial resistance is a vein, I would argue its probably just tight tissue or little scar tissues you have to punch through.

Either aspirate and you are gtg.

Is it easy to aspirate with one hand, flick of the thumb?

[quote]Batman00 wrote:
Is it easy to aspirate with one hand, flick of the thumb? [/quote]

I hit the glutes and reach around with the other. It’s a bitch! I bet most of my soreness comes from needle movement. I only had 1 good runner and most of the time a small drop of blood. A big dude here told me about spraying one a couple of feet, scared the shit out of me.

yea how the hell do you aspirate with the bis, tris, delts and traps???

[quote]Batman00 wrote:
yea how the hell do you aspirate with the bis, tris, delts and traps???[/quote]

A slight tug is all you need to tell if your in a vein or not.

aspirating with one hand is simple, never understood what the big mystery is about, hold the needle down with your middle and index finger and pull the plunger up with your thumb

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

I hit the glutes and reach around with the other. It’s a bitch! [/quote]

…what was that about giving a reach around? I thought you were straight.

[quote]Batman00 wrote:

I hit the glutes and reach around with the other. It’s a bitch! I bet most of my soreness comes from needle movement. I only had 1 good runner and most of the time a small drop of blood. A big dude here told me about spraying one a couple of feet, scared the shit out of me.[/quote]

I have had one spray myself from the glute and it was a good 3-4 feet even hit the door next to me. Funny enough injection was smooth and no pain or bruising afterwards that I could see or feel.

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

I hit the glutes and reach around with the other. It’s a bitch! [/quote]

…what was that about giving a reach around? I thought you were straight.
[/quote]

Straight as an arrow. You know, I should have caught that, not surprised you did.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Batman00 wrote:

I hit the glutes and reach around with the other. It’s a bitch! I bet most of my soreness comes from needle movement. I only had 1 good runner and most of the time a small drop of blood. A big dude here told me about spraying one a couple of feet, scared the shit out of me.[/quote]

I have had one spray myself from the glute and it was a good 3-4 feet even hit the door next to me. Funny enough injection was smooth and no pain or bruising afterwards that I could see or feel.[/quote]

I didn’t want to drop any names but who did you think I was refereing to as the “BIG DUDE”, big dude? I couldn’t get that out of my head after you wrote it. All I could picture was a big ass cartoon character sticking himself with a needle and helplessly deflating like a balloon.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Batman00 wrote:

I have had one spray myself from the glute and it was a good 3-4 feet even hit the door next to me. Funny enough injection was smooth and no pain or bruising afterwards that I could see or feel.[/quote]

I didn’t want to drop any names but who did you think I was refereing to as the “BIG DUDE”, big dude? I couldn’t get that out of my head after you wrote it. All I could picture was a big ass cartoon character sticking himself with a needle and helplessly deflating like a balloon.[/quote]

Haha touche good sir.

I will say though it has only happened once. I have had some pretty good runners/ bleeders, but never something like that again, yet. Hell I am sure losing a little blood is probably good for you from time to time except that I don’t want my precious substances in my blood leaking out of me!

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
aspirating with one hand is simple, never understood what the big mystery is about, hold the needle down with your middle and index finger and pull the plunger up with your thumb[/quote]

Agree with this. Took a time or two to get use to it but it’s easy sailing now. Just pull out a little harder than you think you need to, IMO.

Hardest thing for me is with glutes, not having a shaky hand while doing so.