Avoiding MAS (Massive Ass Syndrome)

Using squats and deadlifts as my primary leg exercises unfortunately leaves me with overdeveloped glutes.

Anyone out there got any suggestions for how I can thoroughly work my quads and hams without exacerbating my tendency towards ghetto booty? This seems like a real quandary, as most all of the best leg mass builders I know of also target the glutes. I need HELP!!

What adaptions can be made to common leg exercises to throw more of the work to quads and hams rather than glutes? For example, does anyone recall how foot positioning on leg press can minimize glute involvement? Should I place the feet lower on the foot rest?

I know that going below parallel on squatting movements works the ass more, so I avoid this. I also do front squats rather than back squats, for same reason.

Besides leg extensions and ham curls, I need some other options for leg mass!!

Thanks much…

Smith machine???

Are you a chick??

Since when is having a big strong butt a bad thing? That is the goal of most.

I agree. Big muscle butts rock. That being said, you can target your quads more with the sled.

My wife calls me Bubble butt. She thinks I actually try to make my ass bigger. I don’t.

Anyway, it’s too bad you want a flat ass.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

Anyway, it’s too bad you want a flat ass.[/quote]

No shit. I’m proud of my squatter’s ass.

I have used front squats to bring more focus on my quads and less focus on the glutes.

if you’re a guy stop crying and acting like a woman. women like muscular butts on guys. if you’re a woman, stop worrying about your butt getting bigger. guys like big firm butts on women.

I think you should only do extensions and curls, nothing else. Better yet, quit doing legs all together and be one of those pencil legged dudes with a disproportionate upper body.

It’s been proven scientifically that the one body part women tend to “migrate” to is a strong, muscular booty. Something about a physical sign of being able to make good babies.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
if you’re a guy stop crying and acting like a woman. women like muscular butts on guys. if you’re a woman, stop worrying about your butt getting bigger. guys like big firm butts on women.[/quote]

True!

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
Smith machine???

Are you a chick??

[/quote]

Where oh where did he mention the Smith Machine?

Do 1/2 squats, deadlifts on boxes, step-ups, with an angle of more than 100 degrees at the knees.

When sqautting (or doing most leg exercices in a similar fashion and biomechanic), glutes and hams are more involved in the deeper portion of it. As you come up, it becomes quad dominant.

Adjust the angles to fit your muscle recruitments needs!

Most of the guys I have seen who say they have a big ass, actually have under-developed hammies. The hammies are weak, so the ass over compensates, thereby compounding the problem.

What are your hammies like?

What’s your BF%

If it’s in the double digits, and you are carrying a lot of it in your ass, then it’s not fair to blame the squatting.

I…uh…speak from experience.

Keep the feet low on the leg press to more hit the quads… it’s still gonna activate hammies and glutes as soon as you go low though.

Lunges on a step activate the quad well too.

Maybe it’s your genetic destiny to have a big butt. If so, don’t you want the best big butt you can have???

Keep doing the squats. Try to add more calf and hamstring mass to even out your butt development.

As someone above mentioned, if you are overweight, try to lose the excess, that will make a big visual difference as well. Good luck!

[quote]roofus_5 wrote:
I think you should only do extensions and curls, nothing else. Better yet, quit doing legs all together and be one of those pencil legged dudes with a disproportionate upper body.

It’s been proven scientifically that the one body part women tend to “migrate” to is a strong, muscular booty. Something about a physical sign of being able to make good babies. [/quote]

I think I read somewhere it actually has to do with thrusting power.

I WISH I had a bigger ass. It’s definitely my weakest muscle. One coach has actually told me, while swimming, in front of the whole fucking team, “you need to use your butt more, I know you don’t have one, but try.” No joke.

Why dont you want big glutes? If you have big glutes you dont need a belt.

[quote]Jagrazor wrote:
Rah-Knee wrote:
if you’re a guy stop crying and acting like a woman. women like muscular butts on guys. if you’re a woman, stop worrying about your butt getting bigger. guys like big firm butts on women.

True![/quote]

Word!

You sure it’s not just your posture that’s making your ass look big? Thrust your chest out, and thrust your crotch up!

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
if you’re a guy stop crying and acting like a woman. women like muscular butts on guys. if you’re a woman, stop worrying about your butt getting bigger. guys like big firm butts on women.[/quote]

ditto.

My wife for YEARS told me I had NO BUTT. Now, after seriously hitting deads and squats for the past year, I actually am starting to develop a butt. It makes the jeans and pants not look as weird anymore. So, don’t whine, some of us are glad to have glutes.