T Nation

Avoiding Injuries

Hello,

I have been off any serious training for 1,5 years due to repeatingly injuring myself.
Right now I am finally getting back into the game...
I believe I have pretty weak joints and want to avoid injuries now and for the long term.

I know good technique is critical (I payed no attention to this earlier) but I can't seem to find any decent coaches in my area (Belgium). I have Rippetoe's Starting Strength book, would that be enough?

Secondly I am planning to stretch regularly and do some of that foam rolling stuff I read about.

Is there anything else I can do to avoid injuries? Especially at the joints (I HATE my right elbow).

Thank you

Supplement with Flameout and Glucosamine they should help out.

make videos of yourself doing every lift and then post the videos here for form checks. People on this website are amazingly helpful with that stuff

Foam rolling is a life saver for me. pick up a lacrosse ball for more focused ART work.

keep stretching. It reduces the amount of weight you can lift slightly, but it greatly reduces long term injuries.

What kind of injuries are you dealing with? Anything chronic and persistent? Or is it little stuff that flares up if you do something to aggravate it?

In addition to what you already said (solid technique and foam rolling as a preventive)...

Robby Robinson says:
"[i]I believe in doing 20 reps [as a warm-up] for whichever body part we're going to do, before we start. That plays a big role in creating a better supply of blood to the muscle, and then I gradually increase up to my max weight.

I see a lot of the guys today are kinda [lowering] the weight down to a certain point, putting some stress on the muscle, and pushing back. But I think that using full, complete reps is one of the keys to my health.[/i]"
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_black_prince_robby_robinson_speaks

Dave Draper says:
"[i]Injuries are avoidable if the lifter is sensible, cautious, controlled, and mildly motivated. The lifter with these personality traits generally lasts seven to 10 days under the iron before he escapes.

A determined bodybuilder is driven, daring, intense, and injury-bound. Comes with the territory. It's the last rep and the extra plates that kill you. These are also the ones that build large, powerful, and well-shaped muscle.

What's a lifter to do? Eat right, rest a lot, warm up plenty, focus on muscle engagement, maintain proper form, take exertion to 99%, not 101%, and learn from the inevitable injuries that strike you down.[/i]"
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/an_interview_with_the_blond_bomber

Those two guys have been lifting for over a century combined. I'm sure you can figure out some useful advice from what they say.

Thanks for the replies, especially Chris.

I am suffering from ulnar nerve entrapment and it's chronic (after 1,5 years of no training, of which 5 months were COMPLETE REST, it didn't heal). It's not severe enough to get surgery or something, but it doesn't heal either.

is there any proof that glucosomine does anything yet?

I dunno about proof, but I have heard that it works for some people and not others, but I don't know if that has any merit.

I think the best prevention for injuries doesnt come from supplements and rather being smart in the weight room, lifting with proper technique, and rest/recovery/stretching/soft tissue work, when needed.

Just because you take glucosomine or a fish oil, doesn't mean you're immune from chronic overuse injuries, strains, and pulls.

Try ART-sorted out an ulnar nerve problem I had along with really stretching out the chest and front delts.

Generally Speaking warm down and then stretch thoroughly after every workout