T Nation

Avoiding Catabolism (Help a 16 Year Old Out!)

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Actually, in his Mass Made Simple article it seems to mean that Dan John actually advocates getting lean before a bulk, sort of a prime the hormones for a rebound type of thing. Not sure if there’s anything to it, but what the hell.

Second the trail mix thing. Keto-hiking for any distance sucks. Fat + carbs FTW.[/quote]

I read that article too. It seems like a very interesting concept, although I wonder how much of a difference it will make overall? I know that insulin sensitivity will improve, and that should make a marked difference.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Glutamine has little to no actual benefit on muscular recovery or growth. It can be useful for general immune system (fighting colds and whatever), but for muscle building, it’s not very effective. BCAAs - some people do see benefits from them in certain situations, but I don’t believe they’re significantly more effective than a good (complete) protein supplement. So in terms of priority, I’d rather most people invest in a protein powder rather than a BCAA supp. [/quote]
I’ve read similar things about glutamine. Although I’m a bit surprised with your stance on BCAAs. If someone were taking a complete protein supplement, then would you still feel the same way?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Do the hike, eat normally, enjoy the experience etc then get down to some serious bulking when you get back.

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Glutamine has little to no actual benefit on muscular recovery or growth. It can be useful for general immune system (fighting colds and whatever), but for muscle building, it’s not very effective. BCAAs - some people do see benefits from them in certain situations, but I don’t believe they’re significantly more effective than a good (complete) protein supplement. So in terms of priority, I’d rather most people invest in a protein powder rather than a BCAA supp. [/quote]
I’ve read similar things about glutamine. Although I’m a bit surprised with your stance on BCAAs. If someone were taking a complete protein supplement, then would you still feel the same way?[/quote]
Not sure what you mean ‘taking a complete protein supplement.’ A standalone BCAA supplement is really only beneficial/most effective under certain circumstances, most notably during restricted calorie diets. A standalone leucine supplement can be a different story, as it has even more benefit than a combined BCAA supp, but again, in terms of priority (cost:benefit ratio) and simplicity, stick with a standard protein shake.