T Nation

Average Weight Cut For Fighters...

I'm wondering what the average weight cut for most fighters is, and how do they recuperate that weight after the weigh-in's? It really surprised me that diego sanchez said he started his cut to 155 at 190lbs!? Is this average for 155lbs?

Doesn’t surprise me in the least. Alot of those guys are like at least 200lbs fighting at 30lbs less.

What I would like to know is how is it guys like Kenny Florian (who is effectively 5’10, 155lbs) weigh in at 180 without being incredibly bloated.

Back when he fought 185lbs he was a little bit chubby. I think he probably had about (at least) 10% bf, but probably 12-14% bf.

Another question…

If I weight 173 at about 10%bf what should I compete at? Now I do realize that Diego and the rest of the UFC fighters are professionals, but as an amateur how do I figure out where I’ll be best suited?

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Back when he fought 185lbs he was a little bit chubby. I think he probably had about (at least) 10% bf, but probably 12-14% bf.

Another question…

If I weight 173 at about 10%bf what should I compete at? Now I do realize that Diego and the rest of the UFC fighters are professionals, but as an amateur how do I figure out where I’ll be best suited?[/quote]

At your weight 155 is standard. Just changing your diet you could lose 10 pounds in 10 days. My last BJJ tournament I went from 178 to 164 in 17 days with no weight cut just a diet change.

i would think that any fighter would be less
than 20 lbs before starting the process
of cutting weight for the fight. any more than that you ought to move up in weight class

I don’t know I think it would depend on your bf %. Also Sanchez was 190 and did quite well at 155.

10-15 lbs is usually the best. diego sanchez was 190lbs fighting at 185 and 170. he probably walks around close to 170 now.

you get a fight, and you diet and increase your cardio to prepare foe the fight. so you lose weight until you can get within 10 lbs of your fighting weight. then you sweat off the last 9 lbs or so and weigh in the day before the fight, then after weigh ins you start drinking water and eating normally and the water weight you lost in the sauna returns.

in amateurs if you fight the same day as you weigh in, then i’ve been told you shouldn’t cut more than 5 lbs in the sauna

beershoes. He didn’t cut from 190 over the period of his camp. What he was saying was that he used to walk around at 190 (he competed on TUF at 185.)

He then started cutting to fight at 170. For this latest fight he weighte 172 on the day of the fight.

A fighter at the top level in the UFC is normally cutting about 1 weight category from their walking weight.

This is one of the reasons that some of the Pride guys haven’t done as well as expected in the UFC. They are basically fighting a weight class up.

Fighters in pride didn’t typically cut much for their fights, the foreign fighters were worried about the combo of travel and cutting. The Japanese fighters just historically have not been into cutting weight.

It is also why you will get guys that are tearing it up in smaller promotions then get steamrollered in their first UFC fight. They were used to cutting maybe 5lb for their other fights, now they are in against someone who weighs 15lb more than them.

Based on your stats you should be able to make 155 no problems with a decent camp. One thing that is important though is to do the cut properly and to have a couple of trial goes before the fight.

I fight at 219 and I walk at 240-250, weigh-ins are normaly the day before so I have a full day to recover, eat god fod and drink lots of pedialite.

It is going to be an individual thing on how much you can cut, and it’s going to depend on how well you handle the weight cut. I can go from 195 to 170 in a day just cutting water and be good to go the next day.

Not everyone can handle that kind of cut. I’d suggest attempting it a couple times before your actual event to see what you can do and where you’re comfortable.

I pound a couple gallons of water everyday for the week leading up to the weight cut in an effort to oversaturate and then stop drinking completely the day before weigh-ins…anything more after that I sweat out in a sauna. Most important part is rehydrating…pedialite and h20

Remember, too, that UFC guys have medics they bring with them, who administer IVs after the weigh-in. So they can take a more dangerous cut than most. If all you’re using is water and pedialite, 30 pounds might be too much.

Also, there is a difference between “losing weight” leading up to a fight and “cutting weight.” Learn the difference.

Yes, fighters get some “baby fat” in the off season, and drop this leading up to the fight.

The rest of the weight, they cut.

Berardi’s book ‘Grapplers Nutrition’ is a good source of info.

Berardi wrote an article called ‘Grappler Nutrition’? Bad assery. I’m going to check it out now. Thanks for all the advice, and help guys.

Also what’s your opinion on how to tell gain quality mass in the off season? How do I tell when it’s too much, and will slow me down? How do I tell what weight category to fight at? I know most of this is personal preference, but I’m asking for everyone’s personal experience/opinion. Thanks.

The best weight category to fight at is more important as you move up the chain. For your first couple of fights, weight shouldn’t come into it.

The only way that you can tell whether extra weight is helping or hindering is by having measures.

There are not many measures that you can directly apply to MMA (technique is so important) but vertical leap is a pretty good measure of all round athleticism. You also need to get good at grading how you feel in sparring on a scale of 1-10 or 1 - 5 in terms of strength, cardio, speed.

Then keep a log of this alongside your BW and BF%.

Cockney as soon as I read your post it was like a light exploding in my head. I very much appreciate the help, and will keep a journal of these things right along side my diet/bw/bf% journal.

C-law is right not only do these guys have a reasonable amount of medical supervision.

In college wrestling 12 to 15 pounds day of
weig and match same day.
par for the course, this is while competing 2x a week bigger athletes cut more.

consider that these guys like boxers are doing for a living , and a good bit of cash as motivation and supervision and yes practice.

the better the shape youre in, the easier the cut. if you are in great physical shape you’ll find that the dehydration/starvation aspect of cutting will come a lot quicker. im in no way a professional fighter but while wrestling in college i was normally a pudgy 190 over the summer and about 170-175 during the season and cut to 157 every week.

you have to find the weight class that fits you the best. and if youre a tweener you either need to change your body comp or get bigger. keep in mind also that for UFC type events you have a full day to revocer from that cut. if youre say wrestling or competing in bjj you only have an hour or two sometimes less to recover. i know that in college for dual meets you have 40 minutes between weigh-ins and the start time of the match.

I compete in BJJ tournaments and my cut usually starts a month or two before the tournament, depending on my walking around weight at the time. I?m usually walking around at between 210 and 220 depending on how slack my diet has been. I think diet down to about 202-205 and cut / sweat down to 189.

I?ve gotten my cut down to a science, for my body, at this point. I start off by pounding water the first 3-4 days of the week, then cut it off at 5pm the day before weigh-in. The night before weigh-in put on a couple layers and roll for a couple of hours. That usually knocks off 5-7 pounds. The morning of the weigh in I take a scalding hot bath with Epsom salts. This will knock off 2-3 pounds in 30 minutes. Then I?ll go to a gym that?s close to where the weigh in is and use the sauna / bike to cut the rest. I do 5-10 minutes in the sauna followed by 5-10 minutes on the bike followed by a 5 minute rest. With this rotation I usually cut 2-3 pounds in an hour.

To me the hardest part of the cut is the sauna. I feel like I?m going to lose my mind when I?m in there. That?s why I started to do the sauna / bike rotation.

Afterwards I pound liquids and eat a big dinner and I?m back to 205 the next morning at fight time.

I know I’ve already said thanks a couple of times, but I just want to thank EVERYONE who contributes to these post. It helps me start thinking now, about how I’ll compete in the future.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Cockney as soon as I read your post it was like a light exploding in my head. I very much appreciate the help, and will keep a journal of these things right along side my diet/bw/bf% journal.[/quote]

No worries. Good luck with your training!