Average Deadlift for Untrained Individual?

I’m curious what you think the average deadlift should be for an untrained individual? I recently started lifting consistently, and have done 185 lbs for up to 10 reps (my grip gives out during multiple sets; I need to buy some straps). Just a few days ago, I lifted 275 off the ground for 1 rep, with admittedly really poor form (a potentially bad move in retrospect, considering the potential for injury). I can’t tell if I’m weak, somewhat strong, or just average.

Whats your weight? Maybe I can give you a rough number of some sort.

Oh, sorry; I’m around 200 lbs (I’m overweight), and I should be at 150-160 lbs, if not lower (I’m 5’7"). Of course, I’m trying to drop the weight, though gradually, and decided to commit to weight training and cardio to do so.

[quote]frank29 wrote:
Oh, sorry; I’m around 200 lbs (I’m overweight), and I should be at 150-160 lbs, if not lower (I’m 5’7"). Of course, I’m trying to drop the weight, though gradually, and decided to commit to weight training and cardio to do so.[/quote]

Well it wouldn’t matter if I thought the average deadlift for an untrained individual at ~200lbs should be 400lbs. All you can do is continue to read, research, eat right and train hard, concentrate on the majoy compounds lifts and they will take off in no time.

This said I would consider 2x bodyweight to be a very general guideline.

I remember I could not move 200lbs a few years ago (1-3),being a little fatigued. My bodyweight was probably 160-185 at 5’10-11.
A 400 clean is not beyond me anymore.

This might help as inspiration.

So many factors involve actually.

Proper glute/ham firing, Technique and lastly good core function all will lead to weight on the bar.

I have a trainee whom i train who is 104 lbs skinny fellow started about a month back, took him 3 weeks or so to learn to fix all of the above, he’s PR is 121 for 3 reps.
Gonna bump up that weight as soon as he’s getting stronger.

1 BW for an untrained person is possible ,easily…

I just checked exrx.net, which has a strength evaluation chart, which says that an untrained 165 lb person (my weight without the excess fat), should deadlift 137 max, and a novice (w/ 3-9 months training) should deadlift 254 max. So I guess I have decent starting strength

I think pretty decent strength starting off would be about 225.

Don’t be too worried about untrained strength, a lot of factors such as limb length and overall activity level before weight lifting plays a big role on how strong you are starting off.

The max strength of a beginner is what that beginner can lift without a break in form.

My starting deadlift was 220lbs and after about a year I am doing 8x3x255lbs. You could gain more in that time as I was rowing so weight doesn’t go up as much.

Why would you want to know where you rank as an untrained person? Do you plan on staying untrained?

[quote]frank29 wrote:
my grip gives out during multiple sets; I need to buy some straps [/quote]

Use chalk and a hook grip. Don’t cheat yourself out of some “free” forearm development.

Amen, try different grips like forward/backward alternate or the hook grip (I tried yesterday it on barbell bench pulls not looking back it’s awesome)

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Why would you want to know where you rank as an untrained person? Do you plan on staying untrained?[/quote]

People for some reason seem interested in this as some sort of funky genetic gauge ( which it isn’t)

I have some friends who go on and off the weights, and whenever they go back on they start bragging about their amazing genetics and potential and how great they would be if they stuck to it. (while bench pressing a big plate each side for their 1 RM)

Then when they go off they tell me I have “lifting strength” which isn’t real strength, apparently.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
frank29 wrote:
Oh, sorry; I’m around 200 lbs (I’m overweight), and I should be at 150-160 lbs, if not lower (I’m 5’7"). Of course, I’m trying to drop the weight, though gradually, and decided to commit to weight training and cardio to do so.

Well it wouldn’t matter if I thought the average deadlift for an untrained individual at ~200lbs should be 400lbs. All you can do is continue to read, research, eat right and train hard, concentrate on the majoy compounds lifts and they will take off in no time.

This said I would consider 2x bodyweight to be a very general guideline.
[/quote]

The average deadlift for an untrained person would be maybe 1X to a little higher. I’d say most could get to 2X with a bit of training.

Only 2x bw seems alitle low to be honest. I have many friends that is around 17years old that has worked out for a year or two and has breaken that mark already, I’d say atleast 2.5-3x bw shouldn’t be to hard if you are able to stick with it

[quote]Lindow wrote:
Only 2x bw seems alitle low to be honest. I have many friends that is around 17years old that has worked out for a year or two and has breaken that mark already, I’d say atleast 2.5-3x bw shouldn’t be to hard if you are able to stick with it[/quote]

I like to do it by straight #'s 600 good 700+ elite

As others have stated my opinion is your starting weight will be what it may. Don’t get discouraged by numbers keep at it and you will improve. That said I noticed you’re doing sets of 10. Have you tried using a bit more weight and a lot less reps(3-5)?

An ‘untrained’ deadlift of 200 lbs is definitely good, 300 would be amazing. BUT a year later, those numbers should be much higher, say by 100-200 lbs. depending on training and such

I found this on the interweb for shits and giggles:

Deadlift

< 1.0000 XBWT
1.0000 �?? 1.2499 XBWT
1.2500 �?? 1.4999 XBWT
Bad

1.5000 �?? 1.7499 XBWT
1.7500 �?? 1.9999 XBWT
Ok

2.0000 �?? 2.2499 XBWT
2.2500 - 2.4999 XBWT
Average

2.5000 �?? 2.7499 XBWT
(2.7500 XBWT = Average Raw Deadlift)
2.7500 �?? 2.9999 XBWT
Good

3.0000 �?? 3.2499 XBWT
3.2500 �?? 3.4999 XBWT
Excellent

Elite and Freaky
(3.5000 XBWT = Average Elite Raw Deadlift)
3.5000 �?? 3.7499 XBWT
3.7500 �?? 4.0000 XBWT

4.0000 XBWT

5.0000 XBWT = Few people have achieved this level of strength.

I’d say 5 reps bodyweight for an untrained person. Tough to judge 1RM on deadlift with someone who has never trained.