T Nation

Autoregulation Progression

Here’s my question

With autoregulation you are not shooting for a certain amount of sets or weight. So how do yo know that the program you are doing is working?

Do you record your your top set for each exercise and then in following workouts just do as best you can, you don’t have that previous top set in mind, and if you beat the numbers then good.

So its almost like your not going in to beat the numbers but do as well as you can and if you beat them then all is good?

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
So its almost like your not going in to beat the numbers but do as well as you can and if you beat them then all is good?[/quote]
Pretty much. Although, if you’re consistently doing worse then you need to reconsider how well you are regulating your volume and if you are doing what you have to to recover between workouts.

The progression over the medium term should always be upward. On some days your performance will be slightly worse, on others it will be better and on some you will merely repeat what you already did, progression is never linear.

In my own case out of 10 times I do an exercise I progress on 5-6 occasions, stays the same on 2-3 workouts and regress on 1-2 occasions.

Yeah I can agree with Thib’s statement personally. I’ll take today as an example: I upped the weight for DB reverse lunges because I was feeling it, so I progressed there. On the standing calves though, this time around I used about 3/4 of the weight compared to last time… big deal. I’m just listening to my body.