Autoregulation: Exercise That Puts You in the Zone

Thibs,

For optimal autoregulation, I recall your mentioning, “why not drop the other exercises in the workout to do more of the exercise that puts you in the zone?” I believe this was in your “Things that matter, things that don’t” thread.

By doing more of the exercise that puts you into the zone, are you referring to using different methods/ramping techniques associated to that exercise after the initial sets? For example, if the weight was feeling extremely light on the corner row one day with my initial force spectrum ramping, should I continue with this exercise with some eccentric method(s) or with max force sets before reducing the weight by 20 percent for a set of max reps?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Eric

There are several ways to do more work for a specific exercise or movement pattern.

• More gradual ramping (micro-ramping). Increasing the load on each set by 5-10lbs instead of 20-40lbs.

• Double ramping. Performing two sets with the same weight before going up.

• Extended ramping. Using 2 or 3 intensity zones during a ramp… e.g. ramping up using sets of 5 reps, continue to ramp up using sets of 3 reps, continue to ramp up up using sets of 1

• Waving. Working up to the max force point, dropping back down, working back up, etc.

And some other methods that I will mention in the future.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
There are several ways to do more work for a specific exercise or movement pattern.

• More gradual ramping (micro-ramping). Increasing the load on each set by 5-10lbs instead of 20-40lbs.

• Extended ramping. Using 2 or 3 intensity zones during a ramp… e.g. ramping up using sets of 5 reps, continue to ramp up using sets of 3 reps, continue to ramp up up using sets of 1

• Waving. Working up to the max force point, dropping back down, working back up, etc.

And some other methods that I will mention in the future. [/quote]

I’ve been doing ‘extended ramping’ recently and didn’t realise it. I love it. Finishing the ramp with heavy singles really seems perfect for jacking up the nervous system.

Could you comment on this example of my last bench workout?:

80kg x 5 reps
90kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x 2
120kg x 2
125kg x 2 Max force set
130kg x 2
135kg x 1
140kg x 1
142.5kg x 1
145kg x 1
-then drop weight to 125kg for 4 sets x 3 reps

I also do a set of heavy dumbell curls for 3 reps between each set…

Whaddya think?

[quote]PKS wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

And some other methods that I will mention in the future. [/quote]

I’ve been doing ‘extended ramping’ recently and didn’t realise it. I love it. Finishing the ramp with heavy singles really seems perfect for jacking up the nervous system.

Could you comment on this example of my last bench workout?:

80kg x 5 reps
90kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x 2
120kg x 2
125kg x 2 Max force set
130kg x 2
135kg x 1
140kg x 1
142.5kg x 1
145kg x 1
-then drop weight to 125kg for 4 sets x 3 reps

I also do a set of heavy dumbell curls for 3 reps between each set…

Whaddya think?[/quote]

I really like it. Very good application of the principles.