T Nation

Autoregulated Progressive Resistance Exercise

I get the basics of this apre thing but I’m not sure what adjustments can be made. For instance could you squat twice a week? Should you run the same rm protocol or can you do it that way? Do you need deloads? I was looking at this and it seemed like an interesting approach once I stall out on 5x5s and wanted to have this program in m back pocket. Thanks.

Man do you realize you have asked about every program that has virtually been created. You need to pick one a good one a time tested one and then stick with it man. Stop hopping around and looking for the “magic” or perfect program.

I have picked a program and am sticking with it but would like to get into this type of training when 5x5 runs its course which should be years from now. Why not ask about it now?

There’s nothing if your honestly just asking for advice although if you are truely interested in learning about something and have year to do so do the research on your own. It sticks in your head much better if you honestly earn the answer.

How do you plan to autoregulate? Do you have a tendo unit meter or something?

No that’s not how it works. You do an amrap set with say your 3rm then depending on how many reps you get you do a second amrap set with more or less weight. That’s the basics of the program but I Don’t know how you would go abiut manipulating the variables like adding extra volume or doing exercises multiple times a week.

We arent splitting atoms here. Don’t over complicate and over think programming when you are doing 5x5

[quote]casperthegst wrote:
No that’s not how it works. You do an amrap set with say your 3rm then depending on how many reps you get you do a second amrap set with more or less weight. That’s the basics of the program but I Don’t know how you would go abiut manipulating the variables like adding extra volume or doing exercises multiple times a week.[/quote]
Unless you’ve been at it for several years and have a general scene on how your body responds to different training stresses. Along with just general knowledge regarding training… AMRAP probably might not be for you as of yet. As already pointed out stop over thinking things right now…if a 5 x 5 is showing you results and the gains are consistent then its a win win situation. In reality over complicating things isn’t going to speed up gains.

NOT overthinking anything. The apre seems like something to get into once 5x5 runs its course. I realize its not very popular but apparently its good for any level of lifter.

Your definitely overthinking this program man. If you look past all the fancy stuff in the program its just basic linear progression. Nothing wrong with this alot people like it but, just do your research. Also why not just out of curiousity consider looking into 531 or the Juggernaut training method if you like this APRE system then you might either of these pretty interesting as well.

531 works for a number of peoole but I had zero success with it. Juggernaut method is interesting but I Don’t like the 10 reps phase or really the 8 reps phase either that’s not gona build strength like lower rep sets. Apre has the 6rm and 3rm protocol which I find more in line with my goals at least it looks that way. I suppose I will keep researching it sense I have years before I would ever employ it. I’m sure its jot as complicated as I’m making it to be but would like more info o it.

Holy shit. Just go lift. After at least 6 months, look back at what you did and what you think worked and what you think didn’t work. Change ONE thing. Then go lift some more.

Repeat ad mortem.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
Holy shit. Just go lift. After at least 6 months, look back at what you did and what you think worked and what you think didn’t work. Change ONE thing. Then go lift some more.

Repeat ad mortem.[/quote]

Lifting without a plan is masterbation

He didn’t say go into the gym and do random shit. He said if you read between the sarcasm find a program follow it for atleast a few months then look back and assess what worked what didn’t and make small changes in your training.