T Nation

Auto Accident

Just looking for some advice and what you guys think will happen with this...

As I was getting ready to cross an intersection in a shopping complex, Vehicle A came along and hit Vehicle B who was also waiting to cross the same intersection, except Vehicle B was coming from the other side. Myself and Vehicle B both had stop signs while Vehicle A did not. The reason I was "involved" is that I started to drive across the intersection, saw Vehicle A and stopped. When Vehicle A saw me he slammed on his brakes on a wet road, turned his wheel and hit Vehicle B. Keep in mind he was never within 15 feet of my car. He came out of no where and pretty much won asshole of the month with his swerve to the right even though I was no where near him, so I think he was just driving too fast to control his car.

I stopped my car and checked to see if everyone was ok (they were, the impact was at 10 mph tops) and because I figured the driver of Vehicle A might try to say that it was my fault that he hit the car. We called the cops and they came, only to inform us that they could not do anything about the accident because it was on PRIVATE PROPERTY and because they couldn't make any charges on any of the drivers. No police report was filed. They told us to just exchange insurance information. We did. The entire time, driver of Vehicle A was behaving as if the accident was my fault. I'm pretty sure he's going to try to get my insurance company to pay for both cars.

My question is will my insurance actually pay for this? Any advice on what I should do? Etc. I didn't really have to stop but I wanted to make sure everyone was OK and that I wasn't blamed without being there. I feel like I'm going to get blamed anyhow so what should I do?

Sounds like the crashmeister over-reacted and hit the other vehicle. He can try blaming who ever and whatever he wants, but when it comes right down to it, you actualy weren't involved. If anything, the proof that he was not in control of the vehicle is most obvious by the fact that he hit something. That doesn't happen when you are in control of a vehicle, and driving within the constraints of the conditions.
I wouldn't worry too much.

You were not hit and you didn't hit anyone. The other driver, however, did hit someone. I think you are in the clear.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I were you, I'd call my insurance company and tell them what happened so that they are aware of some potential action coming. I'm confused as to why the cops told you to exchange insurance info since your car was not really involved.

DB

It's vehicle A's fault for the accident that did occur. If he hit you, it would be a different story. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks guys. You pretty much said what I was thinking about the situation.

When it happened though, I guess I sort of felt responsible. I'm not the type of person to evade responsibility, whatever the consequences. With the emotions of the accident and probably because I'm a control freak who thinks everything in life is a result of my own actions, I figured that the guy never would have hit the other guy had I not been around. After coming home and thinking about it with a clear head, I realized I was wrong for thinking that.

Thanks for your responses.

Oh and for why the cop said we should all exchange insurance information, I have no idea. No offense to the officers here on T-Nation but this cop did not seem smart. Why I complied is just as stupid though.