T Nation

Austrian Economics with Glenn Jacobs (WWE's Kane)

The only thing I got out of this is that Kane is a helluva lot smarter than I thought he was. Turns out the dude has some brains!

YES! YES! YES!

He came to the VFW hall in my hometown and gave this very speech. Very informative. Also, he is absolutely huge. At 5’10" and 265lbs, he made me feel tiny. Nice guy though.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
The only thing I got out of this is that Kane is a helluva lot smarter than I thought he was. Turns out the dude has some brains![/quote]

OMG, that is fucking Kane. Wow. I thought it was gonna be a joke.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
The only thing I got out of this is that Kane is a helluva lot smarter than I thought he was. Turns out the dude has some brains![/quote]

OMG, that is fucking Kane. Wow. I thought it was gonna be a joke. [/quote]

My exact line of thought when I first debated clicking on the video haha.

Austrian economics is fascinating even when I disagree with stuff. I will watch this entire video this weekend.

Anyone care to summarize Austrian economics?
What don’t you like about it H factor?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What don’t you like about it H factor?[/quote]

Separation of economy and state.

So not letting state regulate and such?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
So not letting state regulate and such?[/quote]

Here is one link that seems to summarize Austrian economics the way I understand it, and a second to a video about “The Broken Window Fallacy.” The broken window fallacy is what really brought me to believe that the state can only be harmful.

http://www.ecaef.li/index.php?catID=337&navID=337&GOTO=1

The broken window fallacy can be applied to anything the state does.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What don’t you like about it H factor?[/quote]

The things I may not like about it do not dismiss the idea of it on the whole.

Mainly the feasibility of putting it into place and whether or not market only solutions can work as opposed to mixed market economies which are so prevalent now in the world (and have been for a while). I’m sure there are some other specific things, but I’d have minor issues with almost any line of economic thinking as I’m sure most rational people would.

Some of the thinking is more anarchic than I would probably go if I was emperor of the world, but doesn’t mean it isn’t fascinating and worth thinking about. Obviously most of my reservations also come from the “we’ve never tried that here so how do we know it would play out well” line of thinking. Which admittedly is probably a poor reason to dismiss something anyways.

I wouldn’t say I dismiss it, it may just be a little TOO much for me. Still very great to read about.

[quote]NickViar wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
So not letting state regulate and such?[/quote]

Here is one link that seems to summarize Austrian economics the way I understand it, and a second to a video about “The Broken Window Fallacy.” The broken window fallacy is what really brought me to believe that the state can only be harmful.

http://www.ecaef.li/index.php?catID=337&navID=337&GOTO=1

The broken window fallacy can be applied to anything the state does. [/quote]

Should the private sector handle terrorist attacks, wars, and natural disasters?