Australian Pro

Kai won the Arnold also, right?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
I think it’s a shame that Toney doesn’t get more love.

Agreed. What does he lack, triceps and chest maybe? Is his posing bad?

He lacks SIZE. He’s 6’2" and competing often below 280lbs. He would win more shows if he was hitting the stage at 300lbs but he would probably have to say goodbye to the smaller waist that he has.

He is going against guys like Kai Green who are WAY shorter but only maybe 20lbs lighter.

Do you happen to know if the judges know how heavy the competitors are when they step on stage? Or do people get an idea of how big these guys are by the weight they claim to be?

[/quote]

They have weigh ins before the contest. Not only that, but because of the height difference, Kai and even Silvio just look more filled out than Toney when standing right next to him.

Toney looks impressive but it is still how you are next to the OTHER best in the country.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Kai won the Arnold also, right?[/quote]

Yeah.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

Do you happen to know if the judges know how heavy the competitors are when they step on stage? Or do people get an idea of how big these guys are by the weight they claim to be?

They have weigh ins before the contest. Not only that, but because of the height difference, Kai and even Silvio just look more filled out than Toney when standing right next to him.

Toney looks impressive but it is still how you are next to the OTHER best in the country.
[/quote]

Werd.

I think I just don’t like Kai’s back at all. It’s something about the way his lats come out horizontally. I’m partial to the ‘V’ or ‘Y’ shape if there is a bigger gap between the lats and waist. Doesn’t seem to have enough trap development in those pics also.

I have a feeling that a lot of the pics don’t do the same justice that seeing these guys in person would do.

Free2Be wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

He lacks SIZE. He’s 6’2" and competing often below 280lbs. He would win more shows if he was hitting the stage at 300lbs but he would probably have to say goodbye to the smaller waist that he has.

He is going against guys like Kai Green who are WAY shorter but only maybe 20lbs lighter.
[/quote]

His shoulders are just incredible. I honestly think he looks better than any of the other competitors, but he could use more Triceps and Upper Chest imo. Actually, bigger arms overall, but bigger triceps would go a long way imo. To me if he focused on those two things he would look like a cartoon.

I like everything about Kai except his waist and not even so much that, but the way his abs protrude or seem to want to protrude. I think the last few years of bodybuilding have been amazing and I hope the sport keeps going in this direction.

It is pretty cool that a shorter guy finally won. I’m 6ft 3in so it isn’t that I’m short and therefore rooting for the short guy. I guess I’m always rooting for the person the odds are most stacked against.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

His shoulders are just incredible. I honestly think he looks better than any of the other competitors, but he could use more Triceps and Upper Chest imo. Actually, bigger arms overall, but bigger triceps would go a long way imo. To me if he focused on those two things he would look like a cartoon.

I like everything about Kai except his waist and not even so much that, but the way his abs protrude or seem to want to protrude. I think the last few years of bodybuilding have been amazing and I hope the sport keeps going in this direction.

It is pretty cool that a shorter guy finally won. I’m 6ft 3in so it isn’t that I’m short and therefore rooting for the short guy. I guess I’m always rooting for the person the odds are most stacked against.[/quote]

I agree, overall, who wouldn’t want similar proportions if their goal was set on bodybuilding? I just also know there is a big difference between looking flat out amazing in a gym by yourself…and looking the same when surrounded by 10 other people who are also the best in the gym.

Kai has been a freak for years now, even when he was first competing. That is some serious competition…and it makes watching how he does against Phil Heath that much more interesting.

If anything, it is a lesson to taller guys that, no, 210lbs at 6’2" is NOT built or even “athletic” looking. It isn’t even close.

[/quote]

That’s an awesome shot of the top 3.

Kai’s on a real tear - good for him. His back is just completely sick!!

x - wat numbers do u think are athletic or built at wat height? i was thinking this today. im 6’1" and years up years until i even think of cutting.

but it would be interested to see at wat height/weight do u look good? any ideas or links?

ps. i know it depends on ones, bf and body make up ie. bone density, organs etc but still

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
x - wat numbers do u think are athletic or built at wat height? i was thinking this today. im 6’1" and years up years until i even think of cutting.

but it would be interested to see at wat height/weight do u look good? any ideas or links?[/quote]

Most of it depends on body structure. There are always those people who LOOK 20-30lbs heavier than they are and those who look like they weigh much less. However, in general, I would say most people up to and under 5’8" will look pretty damned filled out at 190lbs. Someone that height would look like an experienced competitor if they were near that weight in contest condition. For most people over that height up to about 6 feet, you really don’t start to look really muscular until you get PAST 200lbs. I have a pic in my profile of me at 210lbs. I was getting a lot of comments about how I was built back then also.

I would think someone over 6 feet to 6’2" would need to set sights on hitting 225+ in order to look “built”.

Obviously, if the goal is to look “extremely muscular” (which is obviously my goal) you will have to shoot for much more than that. Most competitors won’t be winning many national comps over 6’2" weighing only 200lbs. They won’t even get noticed.

Free2Be wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:

His shoulders are just incredible. I honestly think he looks better than any of the other competitors, but he could use more Triceps and Upper Chest imo.

Actually, bigger arms overall, but bigger triceps would go a long way imo. To me if he focused on those two things he would look like a cartoon.

It is pretty cool that a shorter guy finally won. I’m 6ft 3in so it isn’t that I’m short and therefore rooting for the short guy. I guess I’m always rooting for the person the odds are most stacked against.

I agree, overall, who wouldn’t want similar proportions if their goal was set on bodybuilding?

I just also know there is a big difference between looking flat out amazing in a gym by yourself…and looking the same when surrounded by 10 other people who are also the best in the gym.

Kai has been a freak for years now, even when he was first competing. That is some serious competition…and it makes watching how he does against Phil Heath that much more interesting.

If anything, it is a lesson to taller guys that, no, 210lbs at 6’2" is NOT built or even “athletic” looking. It isn’t even close.[/quote]

Good insight. I am 6ft 3in and people tell me I’m big at 215-220, I laugh, I’m so fucking small right now it pisses me off(injuries, I’m over them now). I actually felt small at 250 and people called me Hyouge then…bullshit!

Anyway, I’d like to see Tony fill out more and keep the waist, I think he has an incredible look. Have you seen him pose? I don’t have access to videos as I’m on a .mil network and have been for over 3 years now. I’ve been in Iraq/Afghanistan that long as a contractor…

pro-a-ggression wrote:

but it would be interested to see at wat height/weight do u look good? any ideas or links?

Most of it depends on body structure. There are always those people who LOOK 20-30lbs heavier than they are and those who look like they weigh much less. However, in general, I would say most people up to and under 5’8" will look pretty damned filled out at 190lbs.

Someone that height would look like an experienced competitor if they were near that weight in contest condition. For most people over that height up to about 6 feet, you really don’t start to look really muscular until you get PAST 200lbs. I have a pic in my profile of me at 210lbs. I was getting a lot of comments about how I was built back then also.

I would think someone over 6 feet to 6’2" would need to set sights on hitting 225+ in order to look “built”.

Obviously, if the goal is to look “extremely muscular” (which is obviously my goal) you will have to shoot for much more than that. Most competitors won’t be winning many national comps over 6’2" weighing only 200lbs. They won’t even get noticed.[/quote]

heh…you won’t find any 6’2" 200lb guys winning or getting noticed at even the local shows…let alone natls lol

This is one of those ‘sports’ (another discussion altogether -lol), where height works against you. You find someone who is short, and has a small bone structure (small joints etc), and you can create a much more impressive bodybuilder (obviously we’re not talking insanely short here) than someone who has to fill out a much larger frame with equally small joints etc.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
This is one of those ‘sports’ (another discussion altogether -lol), where height works against you. You find someone who is short, and has a small bone structure (small joints etc), and you can create a much more impressive bodybuilder (obviously we’re not talking insanely short here) than someone who has to fill out a much larger frame with equally small joints etc.

S
[/quote]

its a double edge sword. The shorter guys 5’9" and less will win in the beginning, but when and (IF) somebody taller than that fills out their frame then they dwarf the little guy.

An example could be Silvio .vs. Wolf or something like that.

In the case where the shorter guy goes above and beyond what is fathomable for most (Jay Cutler) then they do very well.

this is all the size game…

when we talk about aesthetics, height, and small joints…and that person fills out their frame and stays conditioned you get what many believe will be the next Mr. O…PHIL HEATH.

LOL

It’s like you mentioned earlier DG,… who wouldn’t want to have Tpny’s physique? Who would actually complain -lol. Still, look at the company he’s keeping on stage. Sure he’d prefer to come in 1st, but lemme tell ya, I’d be damn happy being #4 in the world :slight_smile:

S

Well if Dexter holds onto his Mr.O title this year maybe it will give Tony hope for future wins. Tony’s waist is just to small to ignore and I think he packs the same or more overall size than Dex. I’m baised toward Tony tho, I want other BB’s to strive for his phisique.

Tony vs Dex

It’s hard to tell when their not side by side but I think Tony brings a similar package as Dex.

hard to call but id say Dex has him on shoulders and chest

also dex is a vet but freeman has insane vascularity compared to dex in that pic

pro-a-ggression wrote:

Most of it depends on body structure. There are always those people who LOOK 20-30lbs heavier than they are and those who look like they weigh much less. However, in general, I would say most people up to and under 5’8" will look pretty damned filled out at 190lbs. Someone that height would look like an experienced competitor if they were near that weight in contest condition. For most people over that height up to about 6 feet, you really don’t start to look really muscular until you get PAST 200lbs. I have a pic in my profile of me at 210lbs. I was getting a lot of comments about how I was built back then also.

Obviously, if the goal is to look “extremely muscular” (which is obviously my goal) you will have to shoot for much more than that. Most competitors won’t be winning many national comps over 6’2" weighing only 200lbs. They won’t even get noticed.[/quote]

thanks man was helpful as a guide, i guess 260 at least before i even contemplate cutting ahaha :wink: