T Nation

Australian Low-Carb Products?

Hi Guys,

I’ve been browsing my local supermarkets for a while now and I simply can’t find things like
Omega 3 Eggs
Low-Carb Milk
Canned Pumpkin
Low-Carb Bread

I’m intending to start the AD soon so was wondering if anyone had any tips; I’d especially love some low carb milk =)

DC

Omega 3? Eat some salmon or nuts (walnuts are excellent so are almonds).

Low-Carb Milk? WTF? Just drink milk FFS. There’s something like 20g lactose or some such shit - don’t fret.

Canned Pumpkin? No offense to the yanks but I don’t think such shit is readily available in Oz. Ever heard of real pumpkin? It costs about AUD$3 a kilo! Cheapest vegetable around. I myself prefer sweet potatoes.

Low-carb bread? Come on dude! Bread is water and flour? How the fuck do you make it low carb? Quick hint - instead of my tuna or chicken sandwhiches for lunch I have tuna/chicken with microwaved frozen greens (string beans, broad beans, brocoli, brussel sprouts) to cut down on the carbs … Mmmmm. TASTY!

Variety, mate. That is the key.

I’m guessing you are going on a cut diet?

If it helps, here is my insane cut diet that I’ve used before. It works but you cant keep it up.

Breakie:
No Fat Milk
Scoop Protein Powder
Berries
2 Egg (with yolk)

Snack:
1/2 once of Almonds

Lunch:
Green Vegetables
Can of Tuna

Snack:
Yoghurt
Banana

PWO:
Scoop Protein Powder

Diner:
Meat (2 Red/3 Fish/3 White Per Week)
Green Vegetables

Snack:
Apple
Cottage Cheese

1700 Calories for a 150 pound 5"6’ guy - pretty stupid but I like making mistakes and learning from them. :slight_smile:

Hey mate,
Yeah, I don’t normally bother with ‘low carb milk’ etc but I’m thinking of jumping on the AD bandwagon this Monday and with only 30g of carbs in a day and me loving my milk it’s going to be hard; similarly with sandwiches and such.

Omega 3 eggs were just for convenience; fish oil caps make me feel awful if i take more than 1 in 1 sitting, which is relatively inefficient (at least to my mind). Ah well, pumpkin was just convenience, my kitchen is tiny and I’d like quick + easy vegetable, and I get bored of spinach very quickly :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help anyway.
Dan

hey mate! lol 2 aussie on one subject post huh?

Anyway for your bread try that flat mountin bread it’s like A4 paper basically.
I used it and still do. Normal breads have higher sugar’s and what not in them (I love carbs but control myself e.g bread and pasta).

You can get Omega-3’s in tablet form by Blackmores, thats the one I use anyway and they have a vanilla taste, so no gross fish taste have it with food though.
Try some other greens for veg champ, like broc, and green beans, snow peas.

If you are trying to get cut, just lower carbs from source’s such as bread, normal milk and bad sugars and so on. bump up your cardio if your not doing any.

For example I cut out breads and milk (fat milk anyway) and bad fats and sugars, while doing 30 min of cardio on a bike in my weight room and lost 5kg in a month. You’ll be amazed at what cutting out those few things do, I mean I could even see my abs! lol.

Good luck champ.

thanks mate,
yeah i have to cut down on soft drink, they’re what really kill me
thanks for the advice
gogo aussie =)

i can get o3 eggs in Coles, you can get goats milk or lactose free milk from the UHT section but we cant really get anything like carb countdown here. not that its low carb, but you can always get raw milk from your health store.

canned pumpkin im pretty sure you’ll find, if worst comes to worst get it from the babay food section. you can eat a heap of baby food if you wanted, its pretty nutritious - try the sweet potatoe too…

as for bread, bread is a carb - period, but some breads are better than others - avoid white bread, get a whole-grain or even better, hemp bread from the health store.

Mountain bread and similar wraps. Do a google search for low carb wraps (site:.com.au) and you will find plenty of listings.

wholegrain rye bread does have carbs but less and with more fibre. Maybe you can find a recipe for low carb bread and check ebay for a bread maker? They are nice. Nothing like waking up to warm bread smell.

Omega’3 eggs are around. I dont buy them but they are available.

Natural penut butter is available at woolies. Though i prefer my nutella for shakes even if it does have 10g of carbs. i use the penut butter for a cheap, quick immitation satay sauce stuff.

You dont stand a chance on the milk. Sorry. Best to just cut back.

thanks sjfou,
My local coles hasn’t got O3 eggs, just a stack of ‘coles brand’, similar with my local safeway. Similarly with canned pumpkin and other vegies other than asparagus haha.
Anywho, thanks for the help,
DC

What’s the deal with canned pumpkin? I’ve never heard that mentioned as a power food. What sort of benefits does it have?

I was reading it somewhere on this site.
Partly for convenience, and it’s high in fibre, etc. Can’t remember the details =)

[quote]danchubb wrote:
Hi Guys,

I’ve been browsing my local supermarkets for a while now and I simply can’t find things like
Omega 3 Eggs
Low-Carb Milk
Canned Pumpkin
Low-Carb Bread

I’m intending to start the AD soon so was wondering if anyone had any tips; I’d especially love some low carb milk =)

DC[/quote]

Pace Farm body eggs are omega 3 eggs, and can be found at safeway in victoria, woolworths in other states might stock them.

Low carb milk, you can’t get, but you can do a few substitutions to get it about the same as carb countdown milk. 1/2 of pura lite start with 1/2 cup water and half a scoop of protein powder will give you approx the same amount of protein carbs and fat as carb countdown milk.

[quote]Schmazz wrote:
What’s the deal with canned pumpkin? I’ve never heard that mentioned as a power food. What sort of benefits does it have?[/quote]

Have you read TC’s Power Foods? http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=867137

thanks addiction, nice idea

Thannk John Beradi, I got the idea off him.

The ACCC actually took away the ‘Tick’ from O3 eggs. They can’t prove they are actually good for you.

I got some in my local Coles, they are $5.96 a dozen! They do taste good though. I was useing 3 x O3 eggs and 3 x egg whites in my omlettes.

Yeah i’ve just managed to find some O3 eggs - they do taste good. Got the pace farms one like mentioned above.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
thanks mate,
yeah i have to cut down on soft drink, they’re what really kill me
thanks for the advice
gogo aussie =)[/quote]

G’day Dan, definitely curb those soft drinks. Terrible for your diet and your metabolism.

I used to hate PepsiMax but now like it and I have a constant supply of it in case I need a sweet-fix. No sugar and it’s much less naughty for you than anything else. Failing PepsiMax I succumb to a cuppa tea with Skim Milk and Splenda sweeteners, which sounds shit but after a while eating healthy you see these as a treat.

Talking of which I did the unthinkable yesterday and ate a frigging Mars Bar. I put it down to missing my weekend cheat meal. That and my resolve was too weak and the cravings were too great.

After I ate it, besides feeling guilty and getting out on the bike, I wondered why I ever missed that crap. It tasted shit!

Wean yourself off the softies quick-smart. Give it a month without 'em and the next time you succumb you’ll be scratching your head wondering why you ever missed the rubbish in the first place.

Yeah, I think they say one needs something like 21 days to break a habit. Soft drinks are a terrible habit to break though because they tend to be physically addictive =)
I’m not even getting on the diet-soft drink thing because of the aspartame in there. I tend to get a bit paranoid about stuff like that. Chances are if I have one in the future it’ll be HFCS filled but only on a weekend once every few weeks or something.

i know what you’re saying Nil, i get cravings, hang for my cheat day… & then im so disappointed with the product, lol.

Hey mate I get my omega 3 eggs from Woolworths - can’t remember the brand off the top of my head but they’re in a black/white box about $5-6 for a carton of 10. Also pace farm (i think?) sell them in 6 pack cartons at woolies