Australia Has $16 Minimum Wage and is the Only Rich Country to Dodge The Global REcession

[quote]Karado wrote:
COSTCO, a very liberal company, has grown about 40 PERCENT in the last few years
and their employees are paid an average of 20.86 AN HOUR.
How does happen in the worst economy of our lifetime?
Here’s their secret, and other companies better take note what they’re doing and follow their fucking
model if they wanna save this Country’s economy.
COSTCO gets it, while other struggling American companies are like…‘DUH, BDUH, BDUH What do we do,
what do we do??’

[/quote]

Because they are very good capitalist. They buy stuff from third party sellers for less than what distributers and manufactures will sell it for and undercut retail price but with a fat margin over what they bought it for basically they buy low sell high, but lower than everyone else = capitalismmmmmmm deliious. You can be liberal all you want, doesn’t change how to run a company.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Wow! Double your minimum wage? And no negative economic consequences? That’s amazing!

Oh wait, Americans have >30% more purchasing power than Aussies…

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States

Oops.

[/quote]

I did not see any adjustment for currency standards
[/quote]

1.09*

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I have watched the middle class vanish over 50 years , it is because of policy set by politicians that get their reelection funds from the wealthy , hence we have a lopsided playing field that benefits the extreme wealth

I think another phenomena is getting the poor to vote against their own self interest [/quote]

I think your the master at saying stuff without saying anything. Poor to vote against their own self interest? Seriously, what does this mean? What is their self interest? Please tell us oh vicar of the poor.

Brother Chris typed: “Because they are very good capitalist. They buy stuff from third party sellers for less than what distributers and manufactures will sell it for and undercut retail price but with a fat margin over what they bought it for basically they buy low sell high, but lower than everyone else = capitalismmmmmmm deliious. You can be liberal all you want, doesn’t change how to run a company.”

Yeah but that’s not the WHOLE story, because tens of thousands of “good capitalist” businesses have closed their doors anyway in this economy while COSTCO has thrived all the way around.
Details are extremely important as opposed to just saying they are “capitalist”, and here are the details that make a
company successful in a shitty economy or ANY economy other than just broad brushing the “capitalist” label on them.

[quote]NickViar wrote:

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
[/quote]
Nice, can’t disprove the facts so rely on juvenile humor related to the desiccated ideology you espouse.[/quote]

More of a question than anything, but why does just about every therealnews.com interviewee say, “you know,” constantly? In real life, when I hear someone use that phrase all the time, I start to believe I’m dealing with an idiot. It’s like they’re trying to camouflage their massive intellect by using the vernacular of your everyday, inbred street trash.

I’m not trying to disprove “the facts,” just trying to get your name on the top of my petition. Your name will be at the very top…just think, when I present my idea to Barack Obamaclaus, he’ll definitely see yours. You’ll be like a modern day John Hancock.[/quote]
Since you can’t disprove reality, it obviously hurts you to see people making money that gives them a better chance at survival. You are truly a compassionate person.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Wow! Double your minimum wage? And no negative economic consequences? That’s amazing!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States

Oops.

[/quote]

[/quote]

1.09*

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index[/quote]
The adjustment for inflation to the U.S. is $12/hr. but the Aussie’s have benefits packages so it needs to be adjusted up.

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]
Wow people have more discretionary income and it won’t have a positive economic consequence? Spoken like a rue right-wing economist. The fact that people have more money to spend will not effect demand at all, which will not supply this country with more jobs?

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]

[/quote]

What?

Everything there is in AUD, if that’s what you mean. You can change the default currency to USD, but it doesn’t change any of the percentage gaps. [/quote]
Curious as to why education and healthcare are not indexed?

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]
Wow people have more discretionary income and it won’t have a positive economic consequence? Spoken like a rue right-wing economist. The fact that people have more money to spend will not effect demand at all, which will not supply this country with more jobs?[/quote]

More money doesn’t mean anything if you can’t buy as much with it. If wages in the U.S. went up 10%, but the price level shot up 20%, would that be good or bad for the economy? Aussies have a lower purchasing power, they just have higher nominal wages.

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]
Wow people have more discretionary income and it won’t have a positive economic consequence? Spoken like a rue right-wing economist. The fact that people have more money to spend will not effect demand at all, which will not supply this country with more jobs?[/quote]

More money doesn’t mean anything if you can’t buy as much with it. If wages in the U.S. went up 10%, but the price level shot up 20%, would that be good or bad for the economy? Aussies have a lower purchasing power, they just have higher nominal wages.
[/quote]
The difference in purchasing power is still in their favor.

I say raise minimum wage to whatever they want. Lets just do it. I am ready for this entire shitboat to collapse anyways.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
I say raise minimum wage to whatever they want. Lets just do it. I am ready for this entire shitboat to collapse anyways.[/quote]

I second this motion.

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]

[/quote]
The difference in purchasing power is still in their favor.[/quote]

… Did you miss the part about them having $7000 LOWER median household incomes? (Again, PPP US$)

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Oops.

[/quote]

[/quote]

? purchasing power comparisons are already adjusted to both in the USD, as calculated by the exchange rate in that link. Not sure why they should do the cslculations in each native currency and then show the math, if that’s what youre saying. its easy to look up on the site and besides theyre measuring a ratio which is inherently unit-less anyway.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’m sitting here thinking that if $16 an hour is that great why not bump it to $48? Yeah, triple the wages, triple the benefits, right?

Why not, Zeppy? Would you support a $48 hr minimum wage? If not tell us why.[/quote]

Good idea. $48/hour does sound a lot more reasonable than my $50/hour plan. I am hereby modifying my above petition to ask for a $48/hour minimum wage. Zeppelin, will you please sign this one?

[quote]NickViar wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’m sitting here thinking that if $16 an hour is that great why not bump it to $48? Yeah, triple the wages, triple the benefits, right?

Why not, Zeppy? Would you support a $48 hr minimum wage? If not tell us why.[/quote]

Good idea. $48/hour does sound a lot more reasonable than my $50/hour plan. I am hereby modifying my above petition to ask for a $48/hour minimum wage. Zeppelin, will you please sign this one?[/quote]

You gotta watch that price thresh hold. $50.00/hour? Out of the question!

But compared to that $48.00 sounds like you’re saving a couple bucks an hour.

Lets do it!