Aussies On A Planes

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

Actually, Lixy, chances are you didn’t.

How many times have you been called on posting an article to make a point only to find out you didn’t read the whole thing and learning the article refutes your point?

Is your memory that short?[/quote]

Reposting the above, Lixy - looks like you didn’t read the article you posted to support your point…again?

[quote]orion wrote:

Hardly…

Tokoya wrote:

Lixy understands that statistically, muslims are much more likely than any other segment on the planet to commit acts of terror using planes, trains, or automobiles for that matter.

[/quote]

Truth hurts.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
Dude, you probably missed the one where the terrorists were going to blow up planes over the Atlantic by bringing explosive liquids on board planes and set them off during flight.

Yeah, I heard that story alright. I just didn’t buy the feasibility of the scheme. It’s one outlandish theory to believe terrorists would sneak in enough sulfuric acid, hydrogen peroxide and acetone into the plane, then make a “piranha bath” (one wonders what science fiction containers they might use to mix that) and then get the peroxides, and all while remaining in your plane seat or in the crammed 50" x 50" toilet. But don’t take my word for it, go ask anybody in the nanotech or organics industry. Organic electronics happens to be my area of specialization, so to me, that particular aspect of airport security is a total scam.

It really pisses me off because I like to travel light (couple of T-shirts, socks, underwear and toothbrush). In June, I went for a week to Geneva from Stockholm, and as usual, the only luggage I had was a tiny backpack. Having a medical condition that forces me to wear lenses, I have to take a cleansing solution with me.

Trouble is, they don’t come in small containers so they insisted that I check my bag in. I did and to the airline hostess’ surprise, my bag showed a mere 4lbs on the scale.

Long story short, in Geneva they couldn’t find my luggage. Keep in mind that it’s my only traveling luggage and had all my cards, papers, keys, and electronics in it. There I was, with nothing but my passport, a newspaper and spare change because of moronic politicians who didn’t bother to do their homework.[/quote]

Lixy, you’d probably bitch about not being able to take box cutters on an airline these days as well. Never made it to Sudan I take it?

[quote]Tokoya wrote:
orion wrote:

Hardly…

Tokoya wrote:

Lixy understands that statistically, muslims are much more likely than any other segment on the planet to commit acts of terror using planes, trains, or automobiles for that matter.

Truth hurts.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know.

The allmost exclusive monopoly for spreading terro…, um, shock and awe using planes is held by the US of A.

You, as in an average world citizen, are far more likely to die because of an American bomb dropped out of a plane then to die in a hostage situation on a plane.

Far, far, more likely.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:

[/quote]

There are two sides to every story. The airline spokesperson says one thing and the lady says another. What constitutes “unruly behavior” is very subjective, and while today it may be Australian slang, tomorrow they might not like your haircut and call it “unruly behavior”.

What’s your take on the following story?

And this?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/08/18/doctor-winnipeg.html

Or this one?
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article1220492.ece

[quote]lixy wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

There are two sides to every story. The airline spokesperson says one thing and the lady says another. What constitutes “unruly behavior” is very subjective, and while today it may be Australian slang, tomorrow they might not like your haircut and call it “unruly behavior”.
[/quote]

You are changing your argument. You said this was an example of how your friends have already won because of the fear they instilled.

Where’s the fear?

Now you are trying to equate the airline’s treatment of an asshole passenger with just how deep big brother’s control is.

Nice try - but you reek particularly strongly of bullshit today.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:
I mean seriously, do you think making shaving cream fit into a little plastic bag is making anyone any safer? I doubt that very much.

Dude, you probably missed the one where the terrorists were going to blow up planes over the Atlantic by bringing explosive liquids on board planes and set them off during flight.
[/quote]
YYou

[quote]orion wrote:
You, as in an average world citizen, are far more likely to die because of an American bomb dropped out of a plane then to die in a hostage situation on a plane.

Far, far, more likely.
[/quote]

Probably so. I guess it’s a good thing the terrorists don’t have access to weapons such as this. If they did the average would probably go up a lot.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:
I mean seriously, do you think making shaving cream fit into a little plastic bag is making anyone any safer? I doubt that very much.

The one where nobody even applied for a passport?
How many of these terrorists were even charged? Convicted?

Lucky for us there are no combustible liquids in existence that can be effective in multiple 3-ounce containers stuffed in quart sized bags carried aboard aircraft by multiple terrorists!

[quote]Agnikula wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
Lucky for us there are no combustible liquids in existence that can be effective in multiple 3-ounce containers stuffed in quart sized bags carried aboard aircraft by multiple terrorists!
[/quote]

Wow, good point. I never thought of that. Imagine, a whole PLANE full of terrorists. Each has a 3-ounce bottle of an explosive and then, they all get together and start mixing them !

I have an idea. Give all the passengers a freaking gun. No one would dare make a move then.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
orion wrote:

Far, far, more likely.

Probably so. I guess it’s a good thing the terrorists don’t have access to weapons such as this. If they did the average would probably go up a lot.[/quote]

Actually, and perversly, if they had they would probably less of a threat.

Looking at Iraq they can probably fight forever that way, only needing an AK 47 and a can of beans per day.

The US however will probably put 2 trillion dollars into this and there is no way this is going on for the next couple of years or even decades.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2006/01/08/economists_say_cost_of_war_could_top_2_trillion/

Unfortunately the war on terror will be canned for lack of money.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
You are changing your argument. You said this was an example of how your friends have already won because of the fear they instilled.

Where’s the fear?

Now you are trying to equate the airline’s treatment of an asshole passenger with just how deep big brother’s control is.[/quote]

Authoritarian Big-Brother-style regimes aren’t born out of thin air. In the case of democratic states, such regimes are always the result of a terrified population.

I liked your inclusion of “just” in the last sentence.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Authoritarian Big-Brother-style regimes aren’t born out of thin air. In the case of democratic states, such regimes are always the result of a terrified population.[/quote]

They don’t exist just because you think they are there either.

But where is the fear you were bragging about? Try and stay on the original topic.

Or - perhaps - you could actually post an article that you have read…not read into.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
They don’t exist just because you think they are there either.
[/quote]

Wheter the US is or isn’t an authoritarian society is not the point. But there are some clear symptoms that you’re going pretty fast in that direction.

The fear? The one that prompts humans to condone carpet-bombing villages because a terrorist might be there? Or the one that triggers religious people to call for annihilation of all the “cockroaches” in the ME? Or the one that’s making you waive the flag and cheer as your Bill of Rights is being torn to shreds?

Face it, there is a lot of fear in the air. When you start shooting at people just because you’ve been made to believe that potentially they might be able to harm you, its a pretty clear signal.

I haven’t been to the US post-9/11, but the accounts I hear are unanimous; Everybody’s jumpy.

[quote]orion wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
orion wrote:

Far, far, more likely.

Probably so. I guess it’s a good thing the terrorists don’t have access to weapons such as this. If they did the average would probably go up a lot.

Actually, and perversly, if they had they would probably less of a threat.

Looking at Iraq they can probably fight forever that way, only needing an AK 47 and a can of beans per day.

The US however will probably put 2 trillion dollars into this and there is no way this is going on for the next couple of years or even decades.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2006/01/08/economists_say_cost_of_war_could_top_2_trillion/

Unfortunately the war on terror will be canned for lack of money.

[/quote]

Good point. But let’s hope they never get their hands on a nuke.

[quote]lixy wrote:
I haven’t been to the US post-9/11, but the accounts I hear are unanimous; Everybody’s jumpy.[/quote]

Actually, their not.

[quote]lixy wrote:
I haven’t been to the US post-9/11, but the accounts I hear are unanimous; Everybody’s jumpy.[/quote]

But you sound as if you would be proud if this were true.

[quote]lixy wrote:
The fear? The one that prompts humans to condone carpet-bombing villages because a terrorist might be there? Or the one that triggers religious people to call for annihilation of all the “cockroaches” in the ME? Or the one that’s making you waive the flag and cheer as your Bill of Rights is being torn to shreds?
[/quote]

No - the fear you said was so evident in the article that you proclaimed victory for your brothers.

Last I checked - the Bill of Rights was just fine. It needs some judges that are contructionists to give it back some power, but the destruction of it is just more fear mongering from you.

The only fear I see is that which you have made up in you feeble little mind. My dislike of your cockroach-like brothers has nothing to do with fear.

But seriously - where is the fear in the article? Just point out one quote where anyone said, or even inferred fear.

I have 50 bucks that says you will ignore the article’s words in favor of your own.

[quote]lixy wrote:

I’ve been on both coasts and the deep south in the time between 9/11 and now and I’ve seen nothing to suggest anyone is “jumpy”. My day-to-day life has not changed one bit. Just to test this out, when I spoke to my mother on the phone earlier this morning I asked her if she was at all worried about another terrorist attack. She laughed.

[quote]orion wrote:
Tokoya wrote:
orion wrote:

Hardly…

Tokoya wrote:

Truth hurts.

Yeah, I know.

The allmost exclusive monopoly for spreading terro…, um, shock and awe using planes is held by the US of A.

Far, far, more likely.

[/quote]

Actually since the thread was about terror on planes (or it could have been trains since we’ve seen their handiwork in Madrid) I’d say you suspend the myopia about shock and awe, and keep your eye on the ball.

Mohammed Atta would have loved the way you think. I know Lixy does.