Aussies On A Planes

After the infamous flight where the passengers mutinated and got Asian dudes off the plane 'cause “they were looking at their watches and speaking a foreign tongue”, after the numerous cases of people asked to remove their T-shirts before boarding, the following comes as no surprise.

Strewth. Crikey. Bloody hell. An Australian woman has reportedly sparked a security scare aboard a US flight after her use of a common Australian phrase was apparently misinterpreted as an act of aggression.

If you ask me, the terrorists already won…

[quote]lixy wrote:
If you ask me, the terrorists already won…[/quote]

You’re right. No one asked you.

But I have to ask how gaining control of an unruly passenger is a sign of victory for your friends?

Try harder.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
But I have to ask how gaining control of an unruly passenger is a sign of victory for your friends? [/quote]

Well, the job of a terrorist is to “terrorize”. Seeing how everybody is so incredibly jumpy in the air lately, I’ll say that they did a mighty job at that. Heck, they managed to curb your freedoms, and got you so scared that many of you are advocating strikes on countries that didn’t provoke you.

So, yeah, if there was an award in the business, the 9/11 crew would definitely get it.

If that sounds disrespectful to the many victims of their atrocious acts, rest assured that it isn’t my intention to mess with the memory of those poor victims. I just spelled it out for ya; In his wildest dreams, Osama couldn’t have dreamt to trigger terror that’ll completely redefine airtravel security and get you to engage in wars on the other side of the globe.

On a side note, if there was an award for most “terrorizable” people, you guys are high up in the contender’s list.

Did you read the fucking article? I don’t think you did.

They thought the lady was cussing. No one was scared. The lady was being an asshole. The employees did something about it.

Your friends are murderers. By default, your support of them makes you guilty as well.

I do not want to destroy the region out of fear, but to exterminate the blood thirsty roaches that you have become to the planet.

Show me where the fear is.

[quote]lixy wrote:

If that sounds disrespectful to the many victims of their atrocious acts, rest assured that it isn’t my intention to mess with the memory of those poor victims. I just spelled it out for ya; In his wildest dreams, Osama couldn’t have dreamt to trigger terror that’ll completely redefine airtravel security and get you to engage in wars on the other side of the globe.

[/quote]

Maybe we should retaliate next time by nuking mosques. That would redefine a lot of things.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Did you read the fucking article? I don’t think you did. [/quote]

I posted it. So chances are, I did.

What exactly makes the lady an asshole? Did you even read the article or are you just reflexively assuming she was in the wrong.

Those you call my friends would probably chop my head off at the first occasion. And I didn’t support anyone. I called them the way they should be called: Terrorists. That term encompasses “criminal”, “murderer” and every other bad thing under the sun.

What makes you think that a person opposed to air paranoia and totalitarianism would be guilty of supporting terrorists remains a mystery.

That didn’t make much sense, now did it? What’s “the region”? And what do you mean by “you”? Did I in any way suggest that I’m blood thirsty?

The elephant that stampedes a village because of a mouse is certainly not acting out of courage.

Anyway, the tribulations of this Australian woman is just the latest case of a series of events which illustrate the ambient fear around air travel. I don’t like blown up planes anymore than you do, but the price paid for a semblance of safety is evidently disproportionate.

I think arresting people because of the literature they’re carrying or the T-shirt they’re wearing are symptoms of a society that’s wetting it’s pants out of fear.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Maybe we should retaliate next time by nuking mosques. That would redefine a lot of things.[/quote]

That’ll be an even bigger “victory” for the bearded camp. And yes, I agree with you in that it would redefine a heckuva lot of things.

[quote]lixy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

No one was scared. The lady was being an asshole. The employees did something about it.

What exactly makes the lady an asshole? Did you even read the article or are you just reflexively assuming she was in the wrong.

Your friends are murderers. By default, your support of them makes you guilty as well.

Those you call my friends would probably chop my head off at the first occasion. And I didn’t support anyone. I called them the way they should be called: Terrorists. That term encompasses “criminal”, “murderer” and every other bad thing under the sun.

What makes you think that a person opposed to air paranoia and totalitarianism would be guilty of supporting terrorists remains a mystery.

I do not want to destroy the region out of fear, but to exterminate the blood thirsty roaches that you have become to the planet.

That didn’t make much sense, now did it? What’s “the region”? And what do you mean by “you”? Did I in any way suggest that I’m blood thirsty?

Show me where the fear is.

The elephant that stampedes a village because of a mouse is certainly not acting out of courage.

Anyway, the tribulations of this Australian woman is just the latest case of a series of events which illustrate the ambient fear around air travel. I don’t like blown up planes anymore than you do, but the price paid for a semblance of safety is evidently disproportionate.

I think arresting people because of the literature they’re carrying or the T-shirt they’re wearing are symptoms of a society that’s wetting it’s pants out of fear.[/quote]

Actually Lixy (and I’ve actually had to remind you of this before), thanks to the islamists you are always apologizing for, those of us who have to fly, now need to remove our shoes, and go through a great deal more security.

It’s not pants wetting out of fear, it’s survival instinct. Those with functioning central nervous systems, understand that a certain segment of the muslim world views air travel as an opportunity for terror, and will exploit that any chance they get.

I know it’s hard for you to relate, since you don’t have the means to travel, and Sweden does not (yet?) subsidize this for you.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
Maybe we should retaliate next time by nuking mosques. That would redefine a lot of things.

That’ll be an even bigger “victory” for the bearded camp. [/quote]

I disagree with both statements. But if a threat like that was out there, do you think things would change in the muslim world as far as the “bearded camp” goes?

Nuking Mosques…those are just words. No one has or probably will do this. But Muslims did fly planes into 3 buildings and crash another one. Why you can’t understand a reaction to this is beyond me.

What do you suppose would happen is some Christian Fanatics DID start taking out mosques around the world? Do you think the Muslims would stop at higher security measures or do you think it would be a repeat of the Mohammad cartoon protests on a much greater level?

Judging how your people react, you should be glad all we did was upgrade security. And don’t even bring Iraq into this, you have said yourself it didn’t have anything to do with 9-11.

As far as us getting an award for being the most afraid, I would give the Muslim world an award for being the biggest self proclaimed victims use violence as a first resort.

[quote]lixy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I posted it. So chances are, I did.[/quote]

Actually, Lixy, chances are you didn’t.

How many times have you been called on posting an article to make a point only to find out you didn’t read the whole thing and learning the article refutes your point?

Is your memory that short?

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:
Gkhan wrote:

That’ll be an even bigger “victory” for the bearded camp.

I disagree with both statements. But if a threat like that was out there, do you think things would change in the muslim world as far as the “bearded camp” goes?

Nuking Mosques…those are just words. No one has or probably will do this. But Muslims did fly planes into 3 buildings and crash another one. Why you can’t understand a reaction to this is beyond me.

What do you suppose would happen is some Christian Fanatics DID start taking out mosques around the world? Do you think the Muslims would stop at higher security measures or do you think it would be a repeat of the Mohammad cartoon protests on a much greater level?

Judging how your people react, you should be glad all we did was upgrade security. And don’t even bring Iraq into this, you have said yourself it didn’t have anything to do with 9-11.

As far as us getting an award for being the most afraid, I would give the Muslim world an award for being the biggest self proclaimed victims use violence as a first resort.[/quote]

Gkhan,

Lixy understands that statistically, muslims are much more likely than any other segment on the planet to commit acts of terror using planes, trains, or automobiles for that matter.

He’s quick to revert to the “don�??t blame us; it is all other people�??s doing. We are only the victims” platitude. In reality, the terrorists are a product of a specific mindset that has deep roots in Islamic history, and he seems to relate very well with.

That, and as mentioned previously, he clearly lacks the means to travel much by plane.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Nuking Mosques…those are just words. No one has or probably will do this. But Muslims did fly planes into 3 buildings and crash another one. Why you can’t understand a reaction to this is beyond me. [/quote]

And your point would be…? How does the Australian woman fit in all that?

I know an American of German/Swedish descent (read as Aryan looking as they come), who’s been put on the no-fly list. The guy’s an agnostic, has never as much as attended a political meeting, and has never been convicted.

Anyway, you probably don’t care as long as you’re not personally affected by these not-so-subtle totalitarian tendencies. I mean seriously, do you think making shaving cream fit into a little plastic bag is making anyone any safer? I doubt that very much.

[quote]What do you suppose would happen is some Christian Fanatics DID start taking out mosques around the world? Do you think the Muslims would stop at higher security measures or do you think it would be a repeat of the Mohammad cartoon protests on a much greater level?

Judging how your people react, you should be glad all we did was upgrade security. [/quote]

First, they are not my people. Secondly, mosques have already been torched and vandalized around the world.

To answer your question, the response will vary greatly between one part of the world to another. But, let’s not digress. The point of the thread was how the government exploited a terrorist attack to tighten its grip and broaden its reach. In the Arab/Muslim world, that ship has sailed. There isn’t much they could do that could make it any worse. With rare exceptions, there are no freedoms that could be taken away in the first place.

Captain obvious? Is that you?

Of course the Muslim world is afraid. Look at the kind of ideas circulating around here. Look at Iraq and the way Iran is being threatened. People in the middle-east should be scared. The United States are threatening them. Contrast with a bunch of cavemen terrorizing the “land of the free”.

Hardly…

[quote]Tokoya wrote:

Lixy understands that statistically, muslims are much more likely than any other segment on the planet to commit acts of terror using planes, trains, or automobiles for that matter.

[/quote]

This is funny stuff…
[i]
“They said, 'You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that,”’ Reynolds said. “And I said, 'I did not swear at the hostess, I just said 'fair dinkum.”’

A spokeswoman for the airline said it was not simply a matter of misunderstanding the language.

“We witnessed aggressive behaviour throughout the flight,” she said.[/i]

Ahahahah! ZOMG, “aggressive behavior”, from an old Australian woman… definitely cause for panic!

Australian women can have a lot of attitude, and it’s a beautiful sight to behold.

[quote]lixy wrote:
I mean seriously, do you think making shaving cream fit into a little plastic bag is making anyone any safer? I doubt that very much.
[/quote]

Dude, you probably missed the one where the terrorists were going to blow up planes over the Atlantic by bringing explosive liquids on board planes and set them off during flight.

Ok, sooooo, what is your solution to stop this? How about segregation. How about we put all the Muslims on their own planes or would that further inconvenience you?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Of course the Muslim world is afraid. Look at the kind of ideas circulating around here. Look at Iraq and the way Iran is being threatened. People in the middle-east should be scared. The United States are threatening them. [/quote]

Still playing victim I see.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Still playing victim I see.[/quote]

Hmm, you do realize, that just like here in the forums, it does take two sides to fight, right?

Obviously, both sides will see the other as being in the wrong. So, no matter which side you are on, being “right” is not the only thing to consider.

Anyhow, as unbelievable as it is to me, I’ll now wait for the inevitable mischaracterizations and slander/libel.

[quote]vroom wrote:
This is funny stuff…
[i]
“They said, 'You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that,”’ Reynolds said. “And I said, 'I did not swear at the hostess, I just said 'fair dinkum.”’

A spokeswoman for the airline said it was not simply a matter of misunderstanding the language.

“We witnessed aggressive behaviour throughout the flight,” she said.[/i]

Ahahahah! ZOMG, “aggressive behavior”, from an old Australian woman… definitely cause for panic!

Australian women can have a lot of attitude, and it’s a beautiful sight to behold.[/quote]

I’m re-reading the article for the third time, and I’m trying to find some mention of the “panic” and “fear” you and lixy have described.

The woman was acting bitchy all flight, as you pointed out, and the flight attendant thought she swore at her.

According to the article, the flight attendant calmly asked for her passport and took down her name so that she could be reported to the authority for making a scene on the plane, which has been standard practice for as long as I’ve been flying; long before 9/11. Unruly passengers annoying others on the plane and are reported, as they should be.

Please, someone, anyone point out where in the article describes the “panic” and “fear”.

[quote]lixy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

No one was scared. The lady was being an asshole. The employees did something about it.

[/quote]

RJ was right, you didn’t read the article.

This is what makes the lady an “asshole”:

“We witnessed aggressive behaviour throughout the flight,” she said.

So again, to reiterate, it wasn’t just the “Fair Dinkum!” comment, but her unruly behavior throughout the entire flight that got her reported to authorities on the ground. And rightly so. Unruly passengers ruin a flight for everyone else and it’s in the best interest of the airline to report them. I would not fly with an airline that let such behavior pass. I don’t like being annoyed by such people on my flights.

Again, please show me the “panic” and “fear”. A lady was unruly on a flight. The flight attendant responded by asking her for her passport and taking down her name so she could be reported to the authorities, same as it has always worked. This whole thread is a joke.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Dude, you probably missed the one where the terrorists were going to blow up planes over the Atlantic by bringing explosive liquids on board planes and set them off during flight. [/quote]

Yeah, I heard that story alright. I just didn’t buy the feasibility of the scheme. It’s one outlandish theory to believe terrorists would sneak in enough sulfuric acid, hydrogen peroxide and acetone into the plane, then make a “piranha bath” (one wonders what science fiction containers they might use to mix that) and then get the peroxides, and all while remaining in your plane seat or in the crammed 50" x 50" toilet. But don’t take my word for it, go ask anybody in the nanotech or organics industry. Organic electronics happens to be my area of specialization, so to me, that particular aspect of airport security is a total scam.

It really pisses me off because I like to travel light (couple of T-shirts, socks, underwear and toothbrush). In June, I went for a week to Geneva from Stockholm, and as usual, the only luggage I had was a tiny backpack. Having a medical condition that forces me to wear lenses, I have to take a cleansing solution with me.

Trouble is, they don’t come in small containers so they insisted that I check my bag in. I did and to the airline hostess’ surprise, my bag showed a mere 4lbs on the scale.

Long story short, in Geneva they couldn’t find my luggage. Keep in mind that it’s my only traveling luggage and had all my cards, papers, keys, and electronics in it. There I was, with nothing but my passport, a newspaper and spare change because of moronic politicians who didn’t bother to do their homework.