Aussie Military-Advice?

hey guys, i noticed a thread with the same questions and saw that alot of people helped him out which was great. so rather than hijack his, i decided to make a seperate thread.

i’m 17 and have been thinking for a long time now about joining the military. at the same time i realise that i may be injured whilst serving, so a backup plan never hurts. so im going back to school to finish my senior year and was thinking that if i joined the reserve while i was at school, it could give me a taste (albeit a small one) of military life to see how it suited me. would this be a practical way of doing it?
if it helps i am thinking about trying out for the commandos, i would appreciate any advice you guys can offer in regards to the training, lifestyle, etc- just trying to learn as much as i can before i make a decision. are there any aussie commandos willing to share experiences?

thanks in advance for any help that is offered

James

come join america’s army

I’m not sure the Australian military has commandos. Do you mean SAS?

[quote]Bunyip wrote:
I’m not sure the Australian military has commandos. Do you mean SAS?[/quote]

yes i did, my mistake i should have been more specific.
milimber- thank you for the link, i appreciate your help but i was wondering if anybody had any personal experience with it that they could share

don’t know to much about commandos, i’m ex RAAC 1AR. There is this though - http://www.ausmilitary.com/ it’s a forum site, they may be able to better prepare you. Might also be worth your while reading the Recruitment Process “before you join” section for school leavers.

I don’t know that any of my personal experience can help as i served around a decade ago. Basic training though shouldn’t be that different from when i did it. Just get fit, lots of push ups, lots of sit ups, build your endurance up and you shouldn’t have a problem.

Hope that helps you out mate and good luck.

I would just take your test for leaving school, go get your Dad to come with you to the recruiter, find a skill you wanna learn and sign up for six years.

I was like you, I got kicked from my school when I was 17, and decided I’d work, and then go to Uni after I got some money and my head on straight. Unfortunately, if you’re the kind of kid who can get himself kicked out, or just plain not show up to school, you’re bound for some hard knocks in your wierd post highschool delirium.

If I could do it all again, I’d just join for Six when I was 17, have a pile of money saved up, and come out about as young as you can be, while having done full sentence, ready for school, in great shape and with a viable skill.

But that is just my opinion.

if i were you I’d apply for the Australian S.A.S

wow thanks alot for all the help guys i appreciate it.
sinner-thanks for that link mate its proving to be very useful, there are questions in there i hadn’t yet thought of asking.
spetznaz-cheers for the advice, i am giving more serious thought to enlisting for the 4-6yrs. just out of curiousity i couldnt help but notice your name, did you serve any time in the russian SF?

[quote]Zaneseed wrote:
wow thanks alot for all the help guys i appreciate it.
sinner-thanks for that link mate its proving to be very useful, there are questions in there i hadn’t yet thought of asking.
spetznaz-cheers for the advice, i am giving more serious thought to enlisting for the 4-6yrs. just out of curiousity i couldnt help but notice your name, did you serve any time in the russian SF?

[/quote]

Also, if you want to learn a trade or go to uni the defence force can pay your way. So you can serve in the military and come out with job applicable skills. I’m not sure that this works with the SAS though.

Also, if you want to learn a trade or go to uni the defence force can pay your way. So you can serve in the military and come out with job applicable skills. I’m not sure that this works with the SAS though.[/quote]

i was also thinking about this, because it would give me a backup plan for civvie life. i was thinking along the lines of getting an electrical apprenticeship. but once i get in there i think ill be able to make the decision. i also realised that it was stupid asking people with SF experience to chime in because of the nature of their job. sorry guys

[quote]Zaneseed wrote:
Also, if you want to learn a trade or go to uni the defence force can pay your way. So you can serve in the military and come out with job applicable skills. I’m not sure that this works with the SAS though.

i was also thinking about this, because it would give me a backup plan for civvie life. i was thinking along the lines of getting an electrical apprenticeship. but once i get in there i think ill be able to make the decision. i also realised that it was stupid asking people with SF experience to chime in because of the nature of their job. sorry guys [/quote]

Go and talk to either a defence recruiter or a HS career adviser (if you can’t find one who knows their shit). Also, go and search that defence jobs website someone posted above. Its full of information.

yeah i’ve been on the site and looked at alot of info, its got some great stuff in there. i spoke to a recruiter and am now waiting for an appointment :slight_smile: thanks for your kind words bunyip